Question for anyone 21-25: You feel like time's running out?

pretty toney

Banned
You ever felt like once you start pushing 30 that you're getting "old"? I can't help but to feel like pop culture in today's society hasmade everything so youth oriented that once you don't have a "2" as the first digit in your age anymore that you've reached the peak of yourlife. The world has taken on a "Live Young, Die Rich" mentality. Everyone wants to be young. Young Money. Forever 21. Even people saying"30's the new 20"...to me is basically just saying they WANT to be 20 again. Even in sports...growing up I watched Jordan dominate the league inhis mid 30's...I watched Hakeem win championships in his 30s...Barkley dominate in his 30s...I could go on and on. Now...if a college senior gets draftedalot of scouts/analysts feel like his window of opportunity for develop is CONSIDERABLY smaller than the guy who left after his freshman year and is 18/19years old. You turn 30 in the NBA now and you're officially OLD.

Personally, I feel an increased pressure more and more each day to accomplish my goals ALOT quicker than I should be in fear of running out of time...andI'm 23 years old. I feel like if I don't buy that loft or that house...that foreign luxury vehicle...or reach that financial pinnacle before I see 30that I failed. I always told myself I ain't trying to be living that life when I'm 35 because I won't get to enjoy as much I would if I were 25. Myaunt and uncle are both approaching their mid 30s...6 figure income between the two of them...own a nice house...couple kids...BM and a Range paid for,etc...and I look at them like they're old. I've watched 30 creep up on dudes so fast and they aren't doing much of %%$% with their lives. I'mtrying to re-train this thought process but it's very difficult.

I think you're having a mid-life crisis before you're even middle aged.
I've had multiple people tell me this recently.

I just turned 21 two months ago.
grin.gif

Yea bro... I know what you mean, I went through that phase when I turned 23-24... Its that early 20's crisis, I remember breaking down because I wasn'twhere I pictured myself being at 24... rough time
smh.gif
two yrs later I've matured a little bit and realized that I can't worry myself with whats nothappening for me right now but what is...

laugh.gif
I was thinking about this yesterday and the scene from wedding crashers kept flashing in my head "We're still young....." "Wellwe're not THAT young"
laugh.gif

I feel like time is ticking on me and I always wanted to be successful at a young age so I tend to put deadlines on goals and things I want to acquire or elseI feel like its all a fail
tired.gif

ehh, hopefully I'll grow out of it and keep pushing like normal

To think 30 years old, is old is completely irrational to me. Are you sure that its not by reaching 30 you'd feel limited by what you can and cant dobecause of perception(I cant do this anymore because im 30 now)?

Personally, I feel an increased pressure more and more each day to accomplish my goals ALOT quicker than I should be in fear of running out of time...and I'm 23 years old. I feel like if I don't buy that loft or that house...that foreign luxury vehicle...or reach that financial pinnacle before I see 30 that I failed.

And I'm telling you to not fall for that. Not everyone is meant to own a house, or a really expensive car. Too often people want their version of theAmerican dream long before its realistically in their grasps. Many will never obtain it. Why not stay focused on what you want to accomplish and just livelife? Why worry so much about it instead of living it, you don't want to be the guy stressed out at 30+ because he has an identity crisis.

The world has taken on a "Live Young, Die Rich" mentality.

Not the world as a wole but this perspective is prevalent here in the West. Its just another poison.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

I think you're having a mid-life crisis before you're even middle aged.
I've had multiple people tell me this recently.

I just turned 21 two months ago.
grin.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif
I'm 24, 25 in november...dude, take it easy...I'm not even worrying aboutthis...just live life, and go by your own pace...that is all I will say

30 is not old. Maybe from a sense that your social life isn't what is was like at 20, but will you really want to do that stuff by then? Probably not andhopefully not.

I feel way too young still. I'll be done with medical school at 25. Done with residency somewhere from 28 to 30. Then possibly internships and fellowshipsand all that good stuff. I won't even have a real salary until at least my late 20s
laugh.gif
Can't really feel old when you think about that.

I don't feel that way. Of course I feel there are pressures but I don't let them get to me.
You can't be worried about everything all at one time and you can't focus your goals and dreams based on other people's lives.
One reason is you don't know what they had to go through/give up to get there.
Just be patient and live life one day at a time. That's all you can do and be thankful for what you are doing and accomplishing.

All in due time, it doesnt matter how long it takes you to get somewhere, so long as you get there.

I turned 21 in dec ever since then I've been feeling like that, I guess its because a lot of people my age are married and have kids by now once, I waseven thinking about letting off in a broad for the hell of it
smh.gif

i was reading this article on yahoo about "7 career mistakes that you dont want to make" or something like that and it was talking about how ourgeneration has this sense of entitlement that we want to be successful faster and at a younger age while the older generation such as our parents who we see assuccessful have taken decades to reach that career success

maybe im wrong but it seems like the point of this one mistake was to continue to work hard and be patient and itll pay off and not to sit there expectingsuccess to just grab you instantly

i just turned 23 and i still feel young, not "in school" young but still young

I'm 24 and I don't feel like time's running out. I've accomplished everything I wanted to at this stage of my life( Graduated College,Graduating Law School on Saturday). With that said, money is a good thing but there is more to life than fancy homes and nice cars. Tomorrow is not promised toany of us so just do the best you can each day and don't get too wrapped up in comparing your level of success to someone else.

quarter life crisis

I'm in a similar situation, not in that I feel like time's running out but that I'm not where I thought I would be when I was 18. It's cool thobecause I feel like me now (at 23) is a better, more refined me than me at 18 (I need to get back in shape tho
laugh.gif
). I'm feeling like Lebron (he close tomy age anyway), I'm a vet in the game, my D and my J are polished and I'm ready to go for the prize
pimp.gif

I feel the same way. If I haven't made anything of myself by 30 I've failed. I'm still trying to figure out what I to do. I don't want to bethirty plus still working a 9 to 5.

DaJoka004, I'm in the same boat. It's a shame that we won't be making a salary til the end of our 20's. Still, I feel like medical school hasmade me feel waaaaaaaaaaay older cause of all the work that gets put into it. I can't wait to see myself in my mid 30's, fully established (hopefully)as a doctor. For now though, I just want this to be over with.

Originally Posted by Pretty Toney

You ever felt like once you start pushing 30 that you're getting "old"? I can't help but to feel like pop culture in today's society has made everything so youth oriented that once you don't have a "2" as the first digit in your age anymore that you've reached the peak of your life. The world has taken on a "Live Young, Die Rich" mentality. Everyone wants to be young. Young Money. Forever 21. Even people saying "30's the new 20"...to me is basically just saying they WANT to be 20 again. Even in sports...growing up I watched Jordan dominate the league in his mid 30's...I watched Hakeem win championships in his 30s...Barkley dominate in his 30s...I could go on and on. Now...if a college senior gets drafted alot of scouts/analysts feel like his window of opportunity for develop is CONSIDERABLY smaller than the guy who left after his freshman year and is 18/19 years old. You turn 30 in the NBA now and you're officially OLD.

Personally, I feel an increased pressure more and more each day to accomplish my goals ALOT quicker than I should be in fear of running out of time...and I'm 23 years old. I feel like if I don't buy that loft or that house...that foreign luxury vehicle...or reach that financial pinnacle before I see 30 that I failed. I always told myself I ain't trying to be living that life when I'm 35 because I won't get to enjoy as much I would if I were 25. My aunt and uncle are both approaching their mid 30s...6 figure income between the two of them...own a nice house...couple kids...BM and a Range paid for, etc...and I look at them like they're old. I've watched 30 creep up on dudes so fast and they aren't doing much of %%$% with their lives. I'm trying to re-train this thought process but it's very difficult.
I feel you 100%

@@+$ is crazy.

I used to call 25 year old _'s 'Old' when I was like 17.

Now I'll be 25 in a couple months

embarassed.gif
tired.gif

I was like that last year when I turned 20. It had dawned on me that I was no longer a teenager and frankly, that scared me. Now, I realize how silly I wasbeing. If I'm spending all my time worrying about that, how am I going to enjoy my life now? Take it one day at a time, and be proud of what you haveaccomplished thus far. Besides, tomorrows are never a guarantee.

Its pretty much over for me any way in a year or two but hey. Least they can say i died trying to make a change.

Back
Top Bottom