Question for the Mature/Older NTers: Why do you work for another man

This been on my mind kinda lately, but I just want to get a bunch of other people's takes on things.

If you put things in perspective, the general path people take is go to grade school, go to college, get a job for a "company", move up within a"company" and be successful. I'm right down that path. At a major university, interning, don't have a job lined up but I have options thatare okay for when I graduate. Why do people get so complacent? Is it common for people to just take the straight line path? It seems like working full timeis also just a plot to keep you so busy where you can no longer be ambitious and get complacent. If you are going to grind, why not put all your grind intoworking for yourself and doing what's best for you.

End of the day I just want to get a lot of other people's take on this issue. And at the time you dont want to be thinking wishfully, but truth be told, Imay work for another man for the rest of my life, but if I have any say so that won't be the case. discuss please

i dont wanna get into the rat-race when i get outta high school

i'm not punchin any damn time-cards for anybody.

Sure, gotta do what you gotta do...
ohwell.gif

i ask myself the same thing all the time...i have a few ideas...just wanna get my degree first...

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

i ask myself the same thing all the time...i have a few ideas...just wanna get my degree first...
yea. i fully support getting a degree b/c its a fall back, but a lot of people get their degrees and that starts the process of "getting ajob" and thus the backwards race to being successful. now if you have a family and bills to pay obviously you have to do what you have to do. and somepeople dont have any options. those are clearly exceptions. even then though. i kind of think that if I didnt have the chance to get a college degree, Iwould live super meager until I could stack as much bread as possible and then try to make moves with my money.

and i dont want anyone thinking I am degrading their professions or lives, but I know there are a lot of people who go through the stress of working foranother company and working hard for another company that have done so since they have graduated and I sometimes don't understand it if they didnt have todo it...especially in these times

Hmmm. interesting take on it.

Well....

I never gave a career much thought in H.S.
Too busy ballin, cuttin, chasin booty etc.

Stumbled upon a decnt job fresh out, making decent money.
Then got complacent as you said.

Did get a few raises n promotions though.

Hardest part i think about being your own boss is the money to start your own business.

Because sometimes running your own business or having your own ventures isn't as glamorous as it always seems...My pops always has had his ownbusiness..They have been successful, but the one thing he says is that he would love to be able to just "call in sick" some days or take a weekoff..when you are tied to ur business that is something you just can't do. My mom shares the same sentiments. She loves the money that comes with being thetop dog, but often times the time spent OFF the clock plus the time spent on the clock is not worth it.

Its just hard having any semblance of time and relaxation.

OP...I hear you loud and clear...

Here's another spin on it. The "common" folk are under the impression that slavery occurred 200 years ago and ended 200 years ago. What peopledon't realize is that slavery is just as rampant now as it was back then. Only difference is that, now, it really isn't about skin color anymore. Theonly color that matters is green and the people caught up in bondage are those that chase "green".

It's even more dire when you realize that, as contrary as it may seem, money is worthless. It's a piece of paper with ink on it. And yet, people chaseafter it because they've been tricked into thinking that they need "luxuries" to survive--which is absolutely false.

Realtalk, I'm on my Thoreau ishhh right now...I don't ever plan on becoming just another tool...

Originally Posted by bonafide hustla

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

yea. i fully support getting a degree b/c its a fall back, but a lot of people get their degrees and that starts the process of "getting a job" and thus the backwards race to being successful. now if you have a family and bills to pay obviously you have to do what you have to do. and some people dont have any options. those are clearly exceptions. even then though. i kind of think that if I didnt have the chance to get a college degree, I would live super meager until I could stack as much bread as possible and then try to make moves with my money.

and i dont want anyone thinking I am degrading their professions or lives, but I know there are a lot of people who go through the stress of working for another company and working hard for another company that have done so since they have graduated and I sometimes don't understand it if they didnt have to do it...especially in these times

I feel you...but alot of times working for someone else gives that security that alot of people are looking for...benefits...and really if everyone is thereown boss who is gonna work for them? someone has to do it...i just don't wanna be that one...

Don't forget about cha' boy...
frown.gif

i'll see what i can do...but you're in the medical field...

Either they're scared/cowards, have no talent/skills to provide reasonable value to others in return for money, they believe jobs are actually"secure" than owning their own company, ect.

But most are scared of failure, even though failure is the fastest way to success.

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

OP...I hear you loud and clear...

Here's another spin on it. The "common" folk are under the impression that slavery occurred 200 years ago and ended 200 years ago. What people don't realize is that slavery is just as rampant now as it was back then. Only difference is that, now, it really isn't about skin color anymore. The only color that matters is green and the people caught up in bondage are those that chase "green".

It's even more dire when you realize that, as contrary as it may seem, money is worthless. It's a piece of paper with ink on it. And yet, people chase after it because they've been tricked into thinking that they need "luxuries" to survive--which is absolutely false.

Realtalk, I'm on my Thoreau ishhh right now...I don't ever plan on becoming just another tool...

damn bro, couldn't have put it better myself.
pimp.gif

if you look at an even bigger perspective we all die anyways so why do anything?

pretty much to keep busy
make money
money makes people happy
and more money makes people even more happy
our world is evolving to bigger and more expensive things
and most need college for that

If you are going to grind, why not put all your grind into working for yourself
but thats not cut out for everybody. Remember the story about dude who spent like 500,000 on some type of investment %%+ and is know a pizzaguy? Granted he made lously choices, but he did what some of you in here advocate. Whats wrong with feeling secure, knowing your making paper, surving, andproviding for your loved ones? Working within a lucretive company is much better than owning it or your own IMO.

NOT everyone has big dreams to "grind" and make big money tho...some people just want to make money...take care of their family and livelife...nothing wrong with that...

i aint sayin its nothing "wrong" with it. i just wanted to know people's take on it and if it is common to be complacent in working for anotherman. i want to refute a lot of yalls questions, but i wont even go the extent. not b/c i disagree with yall completely, but its just an interesting topic

Originally Posted by socaking

If you are going to grind, why not put all your grind into working for yourself
but thats not cut out for everybody. Remember the story about dude who spent like 500,000 on some type of investment %%+ and is know a pizza guy? Granted he made lously choices, but he did what some of you in here advocate. Whats wrong with feeling secure, knowing your making paper, surving, and providing for your loved ones? Working within a lucretive company is much better than owning it or your own IMO.
There were sooooo many holes in that guys story it's not even funny.

Bottom line is that, you should never work or engage in some enterprise for the sole purpose of making money; If that's the case, you're chasing moneyand that makes you someone's slave. There is a very real truth in the saying "do what you love"...essentially something you love so much that youwould do it for free. If you would do what you currently do for free, then you know you're on the right path.

Originally Posted by bonafide hustla

i aint sayin its nothing "wrong" with it. i just wanted to know people's take on it and if it is common to be complacent in working for another man. i want to refute a lot of yalls questions, but i wont even go the extent. not b/c i disagree with yall completely, but its just an interesting topic
I doubt it simply because most people don't see this "other man" or even realize that they are working for "another man".Most people in business get up, and I am generalizing for the sake of making a point, put on their fancy clothes, and spend the next 8 hours of the day in"confinement"...errr a cubicle. Then they get up, go home, watch t.v, eat dinner, then of to bed. Multiply this by how many however day and how manyever years a person works and it becomes clear that people just get warped to the point where they don't even have time to be complacent...

At least, that's how I think of it...

Back
Top Bottom