Question for us that grew up in the 90’s as far as video games.

My parents would buy me games at Christmas time and those games had to last me until the summer (I'm a July birthday) or if I got really good grades. I love my parents for sacrificing for me. In addition, we were more active outdoors than kids are nowadays so I wasn't in front of the TV playing video games all day. I usually only played them during Christmas break and a little bit during summer break but I was usually playing sports during summer break or just outside in general.

I take the same approach to games now. I usually only play my PS5 in 30 minute bursts every couple of days.

I would buy games used at joint called FuncoLand. Also had friends who would trade me when they were done with theirs.

Revenge of Shinobi alone lasted me forever. I loved that game.

1wEmHSyczSPxJHmJ1Vt-VEVc8xsb70V1hGGEcE23QZQ.jpg
1J59eyI2vPRbX6tOsk0Ll5-Y_tIcdRcwH0Wjc02kCHY.jpg

Last edited:
I mostly only got new video games for my birthday and christmas back then, anything else my dad rented for me from Blockbuster and Hollywood Video

I probably got a new game every 6 months or so but even then, I had to really beg for it.

Only child here…

I had all the systems, Genesis/SNES through PS2, but I wasn’t a huge gamer and didn’t have a large variety of games. Mostly just MK, Mario, Sonic, SF2, Ridge Racer series, and NBA Live or 2K until 2002. After that I lost interest in new games and would just play my old systems from time to time.

I actually haven’t picked up a joystick to play a game for the better part of ten years, whenever I get the urge, I go on YouTube and watch someone else play :lol:

I never had a lot of them. Even as as child I was very conscious of prices and didn't want to ask for too much.
Not trying to argue.

But wouldn't that outlook be based on the amount of disposable income your parents had? I doubt you knew what they were making. (UNLESS living conditions made it evident).

Not trying to argue.

As I was looking at these video Game ads from 1996. How in the world did some our parents afford these games? Lol. $70 for a video game was a lot. I know for us, we didn’t have that many sega or snes games due to the prices.
B61AFAEA-7106-4C4E-903F-3E8A47DE60A1.jpeg
135502F7-AC28-44D6-A5AF-B1B73F0C8966.jpeg
I had over 30 SNES games over like a 10 year period. Basically until the N64 came out.

For my bday my dad bought me Killer Instinct and one other game. Price came out to like $93. My dad never bought me a video game ever again cuz of that price :lol:

From then on I went to moms, aunties, and gma for games or money for them.

I swear my parents were richer in the 90s cuz I noticed the stark difference in the 2000s.

Gotta say I don't remember $70 games like that though even on release date. My frugal *** would not pay that now.

Blockbuster, used games, cousins and borrowing from friends.

Having a sibling also helps convince the parents to throw down but I definitely remember getting a Gameboy and my mom returning it to Toys'R'Us after one week. 😕

back then all you needed was Street Fighter, a sports game & Super Mario. Also during that time, a lot of video game playing was done at arcades. Gave us a chance to get out of the house and interact with other kids. Kind of makes me miss the 2000s when renting games from places like Block Buster and Movie Gallery was a thing.

I would buy games used at joint called FuncoLand. Also had friends who would trade me when they were done with theirs.

Revenge of Shinobi alone lasted me forever. I loved that game.

1wEmHSyczSPxJHmJ1Vt-VEVc8xsb70V1hGGEcE23QZQ.jpg
1J59eyI2vPRbX6tOsk0Ll5-Y_tIcdRcwH0Wjc02kCHY.jpg
I remember going to KB Toys back in the day. One thing that will always stick with me was when my mom bought me a Sega Dreamcast that came with NBA 2k, NFL 2K and MLB 2K. I played the heck out of those games.

I remember one day my pops randomly came home with a bag of like 8-10 NES cartridges. No packaging no explanation and no questions asked :lol:. Still don't know where he got it but he always had plugs on bootlegs, fireworks etc

I remember going to KB Toys back in the day. One thing that will always stick with me was when my mom bought me a Sega Dreamcast that came with NBA 2k, NFL 2K and MLB 2K. I played the heck out of those games.

I remember me and my homie were both getting systems for Christmas in like 1995 and were debating between PSX and Sega Saturn. He got the Saturn because it came with 3 games, but I remember them all being pretty lousy :lol:

Shoutout to the dude that used to put the rug down by the building and sell snes and nes games. never paid more than $15 for that era.

PS1 was "blue chipped" from the man in the plaza.

Its only now as an adult that im a sucker paying 80$ every year for the same game.

Nowadays PlayStation + is clutch. I just wait for the monthly free games.

As I was looking at these video Game ads from 1996. How in the world did some our parents afford these games? Lol. $70 for a video game was a lot. I know for us, we didn’t have that many sega or snes games due to the prices.
B61AFAEA-7106-4C4E-903F-3E8A47DE60A1.jpeg
135502F7-AC28-44D6-A5AF-B1B73F0C8966.jpeg
Look my parents' budget for their children's entertainment was strict. I got genesis and two games and that was it. The rest of the time, I rented games from Blockbuster.

I didn't even get SNES until it went on sale when the PS1 was released lmao. Even then the only game I had was Link to The Past and Mario Kart.

the neighbor directly to my left growing up was a spoiled brat. Like the type to have his momma crying over his tantrums to get the newest toy. He had every system, 20+ games per, swimming pool, go-karts and mini bikes, etc.. his house was the spot. An average summer day we’d go from the pool to video games, go-karts, and then pizza party for dinner. Just wild to think about it, his parents were blowing money fast to keep the peace.

Back
Top Bottom