Question for us that grew up in the 90’s as far as video games.

As I was looking at these video Game ads from 1996. How in the world did some our parents afford these games? Lol. $70 for a video game was a lot. I know for us, we didn’t have that many sega or snes games due to the prices.
B61AFAEA-7106-4C4E-903F-3E8A47DE60A1.jpeg
135502F7-AC28-44D6-A5AF-B1B73F0C8966.jpeg

The rule in my house was I couldn’t get a new game until I beat the one I had. Thankfully that rule was flexible around christmas and my birthday because this was NES era.

We had all the systems, but very few games and I knew better than to even ask for games. My parents knew we didn’t play them.

i remember my dad rented the original PlayStation during a Christmas break for $250, my ten yr old self felt like it was $2k. I wouldn’t ‘rent’ anything for $250 in 2021, let alone 1995. That’s a carnote.

off topic, I remember window shopping in the 90s and not really understanding how all the kids wore Guess, RL, Hilfiger, Jordan’s, etc… I don’t recall clearance and sales back then, so their parents were paying full till? My mom kept me geared, but it was definitely the bodega/swap meet specials.

off topic, I remember window shopping in the 90s and not really understanding how all the kids wore Guess, RL, Hilfiger, Jordan’s, etc… I don’t recall clearance and sales back then, so their parents were paying full till? My mom kept me geared, but it was definitely the bodega/swap meet specials.
Pretty sure there were still clearance and sales back then, just not on the scale there is now. That said, a lot of people definitely stole stuff (ex: lo heads).

I was spoiled growing up systems wise but I don’t remember having THAT many games. N64, Dreamcast, and PS2 were my prime childhood gaming. I mainly played fighting games and RPGs so those kept me busy for a while.

I remember newer games on the original Xbox, so like pre-2005-ish, being $49.99 when they’d come out (like NFL 2K5, with Terrell Owens on the cover).

It was sticker shock when they all of a sudden went to $59.99 a few years after.

I don’t remember the feeling around game prices in the 90s though because I was anywhere from 1-8 years old.

man as an adult now thats married and we got a kid, lookin back now, Idk how my Parents afforded half the **** that they did for me and my brother. this **** aint easy lmao

but yea I definitely had allllllllll the systems growing up. My parents would buy a nice amount of games as well. Me and My brother would hustle up to cop games too, but I definitely had a nice arsenal.

I feel games were a lot harder during the 90s we had a Megadrive (Genesis in the US) and I doubt I finished any of the games we had. I remember buying Toy Story with my own money, it was £40 which seemed like a lot as a kid.

Birthday and Christmas were really the only times I got games. Blockbuster and having a cousin that had the same system is what got me through lol.

If you adjust for inflation games cost pretty much the same, if not cheaper. I would just acquire games via hand me downs and trades and such. Occasionally, my parents would get me a new game when I accomplished something. Most of my gaming experiences came from rentals, tho.

Haven't bought many games at all this gen or last gen.

Not happy at all with how things have been going these past several years.

I felt the same way. Only to get a job and discover Ross and Marshall’s. I was like y’all could’ve been doing this the whole time instead of sending me to school with BX Basic Concepts wardrobe. :smh:

Folks would buy all of my NES and Sega Genesis games w/ the system(s) during the holidays. I didn't want for too many new games outside of that. I would either rent from the local video store or roll to my friend's cribs to play stuff I didn't have. It was nothing to ride out some games for a year or 2.

Back
Top Bottom