Question To My Black & Other Ethnic Nt'ers Vol. College...

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

Being a Black male in a Black feminism class is worse than being the only black male in a class.

laugh.gif

I'm used to it by now, though. Ivy League ftl.

I went to an Engineering School. And there were only like 10 African Americans in my class of like 2500+. It was pretty awkward at times, from the lame question nerdy kids ask that have never been outside their comfort zones, to the lame advice my dorm roomate would ask. But overall I loved it, and now that I am graduated and have my degree it doesnt matter at all. The worse part was all the African exchange students, they hate African Americans. I mean hate!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They wouldnt even crack a smile when any African American would talk to them. It was the most backwards thing I ever seen!

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Being a Black male in a Black feminism class is worse than being the only black male in a class.

laugh.gif

HB3... Is that you?

Originally Posted by jhobson5

I went to an Engineering School. And there were only like 10 African Americans in my class of like 2500+. It was pretty awkward at times, from the lame question nerdy kids ask that have never been outside their comfort zones, to the lame advice my dorm roomate would ask. But overall I loved it, and now that I am graduated and have my degree it doesnt matter at all. The worse part was all the African exchange students, they hate African Americans. I mean hate!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They wouldnt even crack a smile when any African American would talk to them. It was the most backwards thing I ever seen!
i never understood this... why?

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

Most native Africans I know express the same sentiments.  Apparently, they feel as though African Americans have singlehandedly ruined the black race.  Most would rather associate with white folks, iono man...
30t6p3b.gif

well, i went to college in the second whitest City in America and it was OK.

Being a Sociology minor, i was often called on to answer question about the black community and where most black people stand on issues like, family, sport sociology, political sociology, and grassroots gatherings like the occupy people and stuff.

but i had my fair share of white women that only mess with black men that moved down from St. Louis and Kansas City lol.

Originally Posted by INS

Its fine but i def sense the subtle racism. like the other day i sneezed and this j/o said she wonders how it feels to have that much air come out of my nostrils

Took me a while . . .

Then I
roll.gif

Honestly, I like walkin' into a new class and me being one of the two minorities in the class.

It tells me off the bat, there wont be any nonsense goin' on during class....

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

laugh.gif

HB3... Is that you?

I have no idea who HB3 is.

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

Originally Posted by INS

Its fine but i def sense the subtle racism. like the other day i sneezed and this j/o said she wonders how it feels to have that much air come out of my nostrils

I hope you're joking.
laugh.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

because african americans set africans back
grin.gif

Spoiler [+]
...real talk. just about all the blacks in my engineering class were carribean (like myself) or from the motherland
pimp.gif
was never eem mad. but it really all made sense after taking african american studies and discussing it with the fam.

Originally Posted by illwill8710

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Originally Posted by Slicknick951

Get used to it cause when you get a job it will be the same way

qft. only black engineer at my firm
30t6p3b.gif
(or rather
pimp.gif
im not sure lol)
Fams
pimp.gif

Same here.

Its like being a fish out of water. I'm one of the youngest employees at my firm of 200 and everybody knows my name but doesn't know a thing about me. Never even had a conversation with me a knows my name. The ones that do know you expect you to relate to their cultural pride or cultural issues but don't give a damn about yours. Fools thinking I celebrate Kwanzaa every year
indifferent.gif
. They will talk your head off about their food, hockey, baseball, political views, their own experiences with people who don't conform to their culture, everyday struggle and other woes of being Caucasian before asking you how you are today. Then they complain about everything from the printer being out of paper to their finger nail being too long. And once you have power they tend to flip out. One guy even went so far to say that he wouldn't work for me when he ran out of his own work because of me being a young black male. Some people are cool about racial differences though but the vast majority express their ignorance and entitlement on a regular. 

....well damn.
roll.gif
at kwanzaa. i haven't experienced anything on that level. lotta people at my office are asian anyways and mad chill. but i feel you. my cousin worked out in york, pa at an eng firm, and essentially had a white dude hit him with the "wassup ma N". had other white people in the office like
eek.gif
30t6p3b.gif

but thats our field fam. regardless of nsbe our field isn't black heavy at all....like chocolate sprinkles on a bowl of vanilla ice cream u dig? plus when you take states like PA or MA, its all sorts of winter wonderland going on...if we wanted diversity in the workforce we could do this..

SEPTA%20bus.jpg

grin.gif

I just wish there were more blacks in college, i get depressed when im the only black guy in there. Ive grown up in mostly white schools and had a good amount of diversity throughout my life.

Africans hate African Americans because they know how bad their fam back in Africa wished they had an opportunity to come to America for an education and a better quality of life. They think American blacks are lazy and every other stereotype some whites think about us. I will say if you get in with Africans they are some good people...my girl was born in Sierra leone so I'm always around her fam n extended fam. They're good people though and they like me since I don't fit into that category

Originally Posted by Truballa101

Originally Posted by Young Handsome

sub-par education

not srs...
shots thrown

bang... shots rang out

No big deal. You get what you put into it. My school is one of the most prestigious black colleges despite their qualms. We have also produced some of the most successful and prominent blacks out there. And other races beat down our graduate doors to get in...so say what you will, but the opportunity to be educationally more sound than some of the non hbcu counterparts is there. Its up to the individual to take advantage.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

No big deal. You get what you put into it. My school is one of the most prestigious black colleges despite their qualms. We have also produced some of the most successful and prominent blacks out there. And other races beat down our graduate doors to get in...so say what you will, but the opportunity to be educationally more sound than some of the non hbcu counterparts is there. Its up to the individual to take advantage.

he put not serious, doe...

What school are you talking about SoleWoman? Curious

Originally Posted by Truballa101

What school are you talking about SoleWoman? Curious

If its not FAMU you're talking about then have a seat ma'am \__

I'm about to be not only the only ethnic person in my graduate studies classes...but also the only guy. 1 vs. 24 white girls.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

I'm about to be not only the only ethnic person in my graduate studies classes...but also the only guy. 1 vs. 24 white girls.
Spoiler [+]
Dramatic-Prairie-Dog.gif
I like where this may be headed

Back
Top Bottom