Question To My Black & Other Ethnic Nt'ers Vol. College...

How does it feel when you guys are the only Black, Hispanic, etc.... one of your race inside your classes?

It doesn't necessarily bother me a whole lot, but there is obviously something that is holding minorities from getting into higher education institutions...

There might be some benefits when it comes to the ladies, but overall it's eye opening to think that there isn't one other black male in any of my 5  classes this semester.

All races feel free to chime in on this situation.

Personally, I live for that ++*!.

I know I look like every stereotype under the sun, but don't act like any of them. I revel in any chance I get to beat down stereotypes.

Don't really feel anything. I go to a school thats 85% white and it's nothing to me really.

I look fairly white myself though 
laugh.gif

That feel when chicks dig you cuz you look this way... but act and perform in an awesome way =
pimp.gif

That feel they tiptoe around anything racial b/c of you =
frown.gif

That feel when they switch their lingo up just to talk to you.. = :smh

I dont mind however the real question is how it makes other people feel. Not that I care I just wonder

Originally Posted by ricky409

That feel when chicks dig you cuz you look this way... but act and perform in an awesome way =
pimp.gif

frown.gif

30t6p3b.gif
I feel you fambs.

For the record, I'm not saying that I've felt stereotypes or encountered much racial tension during my tenure school, but to think of the numbers on my campus and campuses around the country for the matter is wild!

Its fine but i def sense the subtle racism. like the other day i sneezed and this j/o said she wonders how it feels to have that much air come out of my nostrils

Originally Posted by ricky409

pimp.gif

frown.gif

All of this

Originally Posted by INS

Its fine but i def sense the subtle racism. like the other day i sneezed and this j/o said she wonders how it feels to have that much air come out of my nostrils

I hope you're joking.
laugh.gif

I don't hate it or anything, but if I had a preference my school would definitely be a lot more diverse. 90% Caucasian... ends up being about 2% African American. Hate the way I'm treated because of it, though. It was a great feeling surpassing expectations, until I realized that the only reason I was surpassing others' expectations is because of my race. At least at this school that's the case.

I guess the lack of diversity also allows for the school to do some blatant/low-key racist stuff. I'm involved with the black student union at my school and last year around this time we "mysteriously" had $4000 go missing from our school account. It ended up being corrected, but that kind of stuff NEVER happens to any other clubs, so it's really annoying having to deal with it because we typically have to call the school out at least a couple of times a semester for trying to charge us with bogus stuff and not approving our events.

Plus, our concerts SUCK. The last person of color we had perform at a school sponsored event was John Legend a couple years ago... they made him do a lecture and had him scheduled for like 3 songs. (He ended up doing like 10 though, and told the school administration that he wasn't going to follow the schedule within like 3 minutes of talking.
roll.gif
pimp.gif
)

it doesnt bother me at all that im the only hispanic dude in all my classes. the thing is though im in a nursing program with a whole bunch of girls so i have like no boys to chill with. i made friends with some of the girls but its just not the same.

It sucks sometimes. I see a lot more kids of color getting in.
It sucks coming from a broke background and dudes talking about their rich/better off lives.
Can't really relate if its not sports.

Brothas in college= play ball, rapper, promoter, greek life.. When chicks find out you ain't onnunadat, they either love or hate you. 
Black men in college is a sad statistic tho, take away scholarships for ball and 
30t6p3b.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

Brothas in college= play ball, rapper, promoter, greek life.. When chicks find out you ain't onnunadat, they either love or hate you. 
Black men in college is a sad statistic tho, take away scholarships for ball and 
30t6p3b.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Sometimes i liked it, because anything i said they never disagreed because they did not want to be seen as a 'racist'. Also felt weird at times because if there was something that had a black aspect they all looked at me, as if i represented the whole black race.

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

30t6p3b.gif
eek.gif
I came into college at 6'2 and about 170 lbs with no muscles and still had folks asking me if I played for the football team

This was at Stanford which is 50% non-white and had a 10% black pop when I was there. Most of us weren't athletes

I was the only black in most of my classes stemming back to High School, by the time I got to college I was more surprised to see that there were other fellow blacks and minorities aside from myself in certain classes. But then again my college was only 8% black or some really small number like that. Sad.

Originally Posted by Slicknick951

Get used to it cause when you get a job it will be the same way

qft. only black engineer at my firm
30t6p3b.gif
(or rather
pimp.gif
im not sure lol)

Back
Top Bottom