Question??? Why is Madison Square Garden considered the Mecca???

I'm not a youngin and seen plenty of basketball games. Yes plenty of great games have been played at MSG; Jordan 55. Reggie Miller's 8 points, Kobe and Bron game, Willis Reed's game 7 but why is it the Mecca??? There has been many great games in Boston, Chi and LA
puts it on........
laugh.gif

kristen_271_8796.jpg

better question is why are they spending $800 million to renovate it? Just build a new arena...

It's part made up legend because New York is where "everyone wants to be" so players would step it up every time they went to MSG... And with so many great games in history there and so many great players who played there, so many moments.. Also add in the atmosphere (celebrities, city, and passionate fans)... It just stuck...

It was a self-proclaimed title that basically stuck and got proven..

Originally Posted by Essential1

It's part made up legend because New York is where "everyone wants to be" so players would step it up every time they went to MSG... And with so many great games in history there and so many great players who played there, so many moments.. Also add in the atmosphere (celebrities, city, and passionate fans)... It just stuck...

yeah that is evident, but something just does not sit right for me. not %#$$@%@ on MSG, but can they least get more rings to have such a prestige label

Originally Posted by got shoes

Originally Posted by Essential1

yeah that is evident, but something just does not sit right for me. not %#$$@%@ on MSG, but can they least get more rings to have such a prestige label

That's the one thing with the Knicks.. They were always able to put a good team on the court (minus the past decade)... But never had the best... Whether it be Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Tim Duncan, etc. etc. etc. 

I think it just comes down to the Best players coming into the City That Never Sleeps Mindset > Knicks Roster

So I think it is more of your beef with the Knicks.. Which as a New Yorker (I'm not a Knicks fan, but I root for them to do well) that they are just a dumb franchise.. They better throw the checkbook and partial ownership if necessary to Bron or DWade because it will be embarrassing if they free up cap room for this specific year for what seems like the past 5 years to come out with Bosh at the best... But it is the Knicks so my surprise would be 0 if that is what happens..

Why are the Cowboys America's Team? Aerosmith is called "America's Greatest Rock Band". Isn't it also called the World's Most Famous Arena? Names get made, and people just accept it.....

I do like MSG though, awesome history

It' because of all the Championship's that the Knicks have won ...

laugh.gif

Dude, because it's in New York, and you know New Yorkers always boast and brag, drill and hammer a saying until it sticks.

Boston Garden> MSG
Chicago Stadium> MSG
Great Western Forum> MSG
United Center> MSG
Staples> MSG
Pauley Pavilion> MSG

It's part made up legend because New York Los Angeles is where "everyone wants to be" so players would step it up every time they went to Staples MSG... And with so many great games in history there and so many great players who played there, so many moments.. Also add in the atmosphere (celebrities, city, and passionate fans)... It just stuck...

....and I hate the Lakers
ohwell.gif

I'm from NY and I don't consider it the mecca of basketball but I think it gets that name from all the great sporting events that have been held in MSG in the past.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Great Western Forum> MSG

It's part made up legend because New York Los Angeles is where "everyone wants to be" so players would step it up every time they went to Staples MSG... And with so many great games in history there and so many great players who played there, so many moments.. Also add in the atmosphere (celebrities, city, and passionate fans)... It just stuck...

ohwell.gif

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
the Forum has history, but it +@%@@%+ suuuuucks.

laugh.gif

Dude, because it's in New York, and you know New Yorkers always boast and brag, drill and hammer a saying until it sticks.

Boston Garden> MSG
Chicago Stadium> MSG
Great Western Forum> MSG
United Center> MSG
Staples> MSG
Pauley Pavilion> MSG

ohwell.gif

Stop.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

laugh.gif

Boston Garden> MSG
Chicago Stadium> MSG
Great Western Forum> MSG
United Center> MSG
Staples> MSG
Pauley Pavilion> MSG

ohwell.gif
Stop.

Halt.

The city + big games + the rivalries + the big players to put up big numbers there... After this happening over time it stuck. Plus, a lot of old arenas are no longer (NBA wise) where history has went down in the classic eras.

From personal opinion, its my favorite arena to see an event in.
glasses.gif

Its called the mecca because its overall history of hosting important sports and other live events is > everywhere else..

They shouldve built a new arena but I can understand why they chose to renovate.

It's gotta be at least partially because of the crowd.

Players are always talking about how different the Garden crowd is compared to others.

Originally Posted by Rudemiester

Its called the mecca because its overall history of hosting important sports and other live events is > everywhere else..

They shouldve built a new arena but I can understand why they chose to renovate.

QFT

I never called MSG the Mecca....

But I always here it from legends like Barkley... Magic Johnson and such....

Blame them

the same reason you idiots are trying to hate on what you know is true. it is what is is, and always will be.

nothing you say on a forum is going to change the fact that MSG is the mecca and players do and will refer to it as such. the fact that the knicks are trash but remains one of the most relevant teams in the NBA should give you a clue. but the main reason is the events and fans. basketball is a religion in new york city.

get ready to hear more mecca talk if we strike oil. we are ready for the hate. enjoy 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

It's gotta be at least partially because of the crowd.

Players are always talking about how different the Garden crowd is compared to others.

Bands say this all the time as well.

Pearl Jam Live at the Garden DVD
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by tommykairaa

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

laugh.gif

Boston Garden> MSG
Chicago Stadium> MSG
Great Western Forum> MSG
United Center> MSG
Staples> MSG
Pauley Pavilion> MSG

ohwell.gif
Stop.

Halt.

Freeze.

Back
Top Bottom