Questions about UCLA

I'm seriously considering moving to California, and UCLA is one of the places I've got on the top of my list to transfer to. However, I was having a conversation with some buddies from Cal the other day, and they told me that UCLA just isn't that special with employers in LA, and that they look to hire people from USC before they look to hire out of UCLA.

Considering you guys live in SoCal, just how well recieved is UCLA down there? I know I'm being broad, but in general, who's holding it down in Los Angeles more?

I guess it depends on what you want to do. A lot of jobs in LA are entertainment based and I think USC has the edge over UCLA in that category. I would say it depends on your field and if you are trying to work in LA. I think there is love for both schools.
Hit me up if you need penny foams! Check out my listing on iss under tyclef (Jordans, forces, air max etc.)
tyclef1@hotmail.com

usc is more of a business school. while ucla focuses mainly on med and such
Team Philippines
Member No.777

TEAMMACINTOSH

Yeah, it depends on what type of field you are in. SC is very well-known for business. Speaking for my major though, my UCLA friends had no trouble finding engineering jobs after graduation: raytheon, lockheed martin, google, yahoo, boeing, ibm, and i'm interning at northrop grumman this summer.

*310/510 LA to the Bay*
UCLA Bruins basketball rocks my socks

Quote:
However, I was having a conversation with some buddies from Cal the other day, and they told me that UCLA just isn't that special with employers in LA, and that they look to hire people from USC before they look to hire out of UCLA.
:lol:
laugh.gif
///
teamdecepticon
T R A N S F O R M E R S​

usc has a super strong alumni network.
that being said, none of my dudes or homegirls that majored in econ at UCLA (they don't have a true biz undergrad program) have had any probs linking up w/good comps/jobs.

you'll be fine in SoCal. it's when you hit the bigtime biz centers like NYC, SF, London, HK, Tokyo, etc that you'll get a reality check about npotism and snootiness over where you got your schooling.
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN of basketball shoes.
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"

actually, if you search statistics, USCs business graduate network wasn't hitting too strong. i read up some really low percentage of graduates from USC have a job coming out of their last year.

I am a Bruin, so my statement may appear slightly skewed, but look up the statistics i'd say, that's probably a good estimate for you.

Depends what you're majoring in. If its business I believe USC might have a good business school. Anywhere you go though its all about making connections. You could go to East West South Dakota State and still get a job out of school if you know how to make connections. Im in the same boat as you though except Im already @ school in CA, I go to CSUN and once I get my Bachelors here im not sure where I want to go for Graduates school. Im a die hard UCLA fan but depending on which is better i might have to sway from the blue and gold.
Chuckie: I got the dope moves.
Esteban: You got the what?
Chuckie: I got the stupid juice, I bust the stupid moves.

UNDFTD HOODY BNWT XXL SUPRME ALIFE DQM

you can go by statistics or you can field actual real world feedback that reflects what's going on out there. not trying to be an a$# (or discount the #'s), but it's just like bench racing looking at performance figures on paper or on the net........what should happen or might SEEM to be, isn't always the case.

all i know is, i have more than a few friends+fam+acquaintances from both camps (SC & UCLA). they all have done pretty well for themselves and very few have had to struggle to make connections or land jobs after coming out. my SC folks definitely aren't ever in dire need of scrounging living$, but you'd be real surprised how far their alumni network goes, esp in SoCal.

as mentioned, once you wanna run w/the big dogs in other regions, it is an entirely different story tho.

"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN of basketball shoes.
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"

I'm going to be entering my freshman year of college at USC next Wednesday and from all the people I've talked to USC definitely does seem to have the upperhand in terms of getting jobs in both the business and entertainment industries. I know what i was told is probably a little biased coming from USC alumni and current students, but as other people have pointed out before me there really is a great Alumni network aka the "Trojan Family."

so in conclusion...
USC>UCLA

anyone else going to be/ already a Trojan on NT?

from an unbiased perspective from up north, UCLA gets the nod over SC in most cases. SC USED to be a good school bu has fallen off tremendously compared to what it once was. IT definitely still has some good programs (film, journalism, etc) but if you're anythign science related, UCLA>SC. The general concensus I have found is recent SC grads are generally less prepared than LA grads and rely more on the alumni network which is strong now but in a generation will be in trouble.

^@#%$ u talking about..USC used to be a bad school but now risen tremendously to what it once was

BLAH BLAH BLAH

someone will post stats, someone will post this and that and another tired debate.

its who you know when you get hired and UCLA even admits that USC has a stronger network and its the truth.
SUPERSTARBASKETBALL.ORG​

Quote:
SC USED to be a good school bu has fallen off tremendously compared to what it once was

Wow not sure where this is coming from but SC's rise academically in the last ten years has been unreal. I doubt you would be able to find any other school that has had the rise in incoming freshman GPA, SAT scores, and national ranking that SC has had in the last 10 years. Put it this way - 10 years ago SC was ranked nationally in the high 40's low 50's overall where now it is ranked 27th (UCLA is 25) overall and it has been rising every year.

SC and UCLA are virtually indentical when it comes to incoming freshmen credentials. Like someone said before if you are a Business, Communications, Film, or Engineering major SC is very good. All those schools are ranked in the top 10 nationally. UCLA meanwhile excels in anything that is science/research related, especially medicine.

When I graduated from SC 2 years ago I had a LOT of job offers out the box and most of them came from other SC alums. Don't doubt for a second how connected the SC network is in SoCal.

Now with that said that is meant in no way to knock UCLA. I was accepted to both SC and UCLA (as a JC transfer) and chose SC because I plan to be in SoCal my whole life and I wanted that SC affiliation. I also had a partial scholarship that made the cost of attending SC about the same as UCLA. If I didn't have that I would have probably gone to UCLA rather than accrue $100K in debt.

IMO you can't go wrong either way as both are very good schools with nationally recognizable names but from a networking standpoint SC will always be on top especially in the business world.

Quote:
Wow not sure where this is coming from but SC's rise academically in the last ten years has been unreal. I doubt you would be able to find any other school that has had the rise in incoming freshman GPA, SAT scores, and national ranking that SC has had in the last 10 years. Put it this way - 10 years ago SC was ranked nationally in the high 40's low 50's overall where now it is ranked 27th (UCLA is 25) overall and it has been rising every year.

In numbers, you're right (numbers are always inflated and mean hardly anythign anyway anymore) but in terms of the quality of the graduates it put out, no. It has only gone downhill. It is an overrated bubble that is goign to burst. It's no arizona state or anything, but it certainly isn't an academic powerhouse. IT relies on a large alumni network based on people who went through years ago and came out sharp. It just isn't the same anymore. Like I said, I'm talking especially from a science standpoint. the networking is a seperate issue but sc really does put too much stock in their name. THey're FAR from harvard, stanford, princeton etc

Quote:
THey're FAR from harvard, stanford, princeton etc

Thats definately true. But from that standpoint so is UCLA. You best believe if Stanford was a realistic transfer destination I would have been all over it.

As far as numbers being inflated to mean whatever one wants them to mean I agree with you. However, the majority of people I went to school with at SC were also accepted to other very good schools and were from a very high percentile of their high school graduating class. In the last 5 years SC's has also become one of the most competitive schools as far as acceptance rate.

Does that mean SC is an academic powerhouse - no it doesnt. But SC's administration is headed in the right direction and their endowment (almost 4 billion) is in the top 5 nationally and it is allowing them to upgrade the quality of professors which will result in a continual, albeit slow increase in the quality of students that are attending.

As you said science is definately not a strong suit at SC. From a science standpoint I would not even consider putting SC in the same class as a lot of other UC's (davis, irvine, san diego) let alone UCLA. But as far as business, film, comm, and engineering SC is very good and very well respected.

Quote:
the networking is a seperate issue but sc really does put too much stock in their name

Yes and no. In LA a LOT of business owners and or upper management are SC grads. This leads to a lot of interviews based solely on being an SC grad. What the SC name does down here is get you in the door. I had three offers while I was still in school from SC afiliated businesses. Granted that may not be the case in Northern Cal or anywhere else in the country but I assure you it does work here in LA. When I graduated I got a job with Lexus at the national headquarters here in Torrance and they were very impressed with a business degree from SC. Does that mean its a Stanford degree - No - but it got me a good job making nice money right outta school.

Quote:
What the SC name does down here is get you in the door
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" - Martin Luther King Jr.
Team Vintage Heat
Never too old...​

Quote:
you can go by statistics or you can field actual real world feedback that reflects what's going on out there.

i do see where you're coming from with this, but i just believe checking statistics would provide the most unbiased opinion, since "real world feedback" draws a response from people's emotions and loyalty blended with facts and reality.

I just feel it might be easier to find a "fair" response from statistics than it will be from people who have been through each program or have some type of insight because of who they know or what they heard (including myself, i'm an entering Bruin).

dont matta to me ill be ballin at sc in 2 yrs baby!!

Fight on Trojans!
TEAMNEWYORKKNICKS​
TEAMYANKEES

Quote:
Considering you guys live in SoCal, just how well recieved is UCLA down there? I know I'm being broad, but in general, who's holding it down in Los Angeles more?
:wink:
wink.gif

"It's better to always wear the same thing and know that people are liking you, and not the you your clothes make."

Right off the bat I'm gonna say that I GO to UCLA, but I don't think I am biased. In fact, I pretty much agree with everything that King of Kickz 23 said, and he went to USC. First off, whoever said that USC has fallen off doesn't know what they are talking about. They used to be a terrible school academics wise, but they are getting better pretty much every year. They are now considered a top tier University, and that was not nearly the case 20 or even 10 years ago. When it was time to college search a few years ago, I knew I wanted to come down South (originally from the Bay) and that meant either USC or UCLA. I felt comfortable on the UCLA campus, and I was planning (and still am) to major in the sciences/premed. As already mentioned, UCLA is very strong in the sciences and research, so that is my primary reason for choosing UCLA. Also, if you have no idea what you want to do, UCLA has A TON of different classes and majors to choose from, so you can find something you are interested in. If you are interested in film or business, I think USC is a stronger school, partly because in those fields, networking is of the most importance. I think that when it comes to networking, private schools will ALWAYS have the edge over public schools because of the Alumni. So to answer your original question, I don't think you can really pick one school as "holding it down more in LA." I'm sure that you already have an idea of what field you want to go into, and you should let that help determine where you want to go. Also, if you have a chance, visit both campuses and see what one you feel more comfortable on. In any case, both schools are great, and if you have to choose between UCLA or USC you should consider yourself lucky. Hope this helped, and best of luck. Peace.

Quote:
In numbers, you're right (numbers are always inflated and mean hardly anythign anyway anymore) but in terms of the quality of the graduates it put out, no. It has only gone downhill. It is an overrated bubble that is goign to burst. It's no arizona state or anything, but it certainly isn't an academic powerhouse. IT relies on a large alumni network based on people who went through years ago and came out sharp. It just isn't the same anymore. Like I said, I'm talking especially from a science standpoint. the networking is a seperate issue but sc really does put too much stock in their name. THey're FAR from harvard, stanford, princeton etc

please its all about what you put in. it usually doesnt matter if youre from sjsu, asu, ucla, or whatever. if you put your time into your studies youll know just as much as the next kid. youre really going to a school for the name on your degree which helps to get your foot in the door for certain opportunities.
USC TROJANS
Louisiana Superdome January 7, 2008​
Joe McKnight - Future Heisman Winner​

Back
Top Bottom