Quick Random Car Question: what does "Volts" light on dashboard mean?

like some times my Volts light comes on, on the dashboard, but then if I start driving faster it goes off. I tried googling it but I dont know anything boutcars so I just gave up.

your battery is dying.

you driving faster is just tricking the system.

it means throw on your best polo, pack some jumper cables and hope your battery dies while you're around a fine girl

Originally Posted by Phil Le0tard0

it means stop wearing those ashy red socks with those little @%* dress shoes
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

It comes on then comes off, isn't your battery suppose to charge when you drive?
yeah after you jump it. but your batteryis running on e

It comes on then comes off, isn't your battery suppose to charge when you drive?
When you accelerate your alternator provides more voltage, so your car thinks everything is fine. Chances are your batter is out of distilledwater, or is just getting old. Check to make sure it has water in it still. Carefully because it has acid init. If it's low get some distilled water.

It also could be a loose or damaged wire. Check all your battery cables.

edit: Also check for build up inside of the battery or on the terminals. If there's a lot on the battery get a wire brush to clean it off, if it'sinside the battery add distilled water as needed and try dropping a ibuprofen (or aspirin i forget which) pill inside the battery. This will increase thelife of the battery a little bit.

Dang, good looks on the info.

How much do batteries usually run? I know these are dumb questions, but I new on the car ownership thing.

And this is like really frustrating, because I got alot of other financial stuff I need to take care of too.....
frown.gif

Originally Posted by RECOGNIZE GAME

grab a voltmeter and put it to each terminal post and check the reading of the amperage
Don't do this, unless you want to blow a fuse if the battery is fully charged. Read the voltage.

As for the price it depends on your car, but I'd say anywhere from 60-100 bucks if I had to give a price.

Can Autozone help me by just looking at it? Because a Mechanic will tax the hell out of me and not even fix the job, ust looking at it.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

grab a voltmeter and put it to each terminal post and check the reading of the amperage
Don't do this, unless you want to blow a fuse if the battery is fully charged. Read the voltage.

As for the price it depends on your car, but I'd say anywhere from 60-100 bucks if I had to give a price.

what? how? 60-100 dollars depending on the brand of battery you choose.

Can Autozone help me by just looking at it? Because a Mechanic will tax the hell out of me and not even fix the job, ust looking at it.

i think autozone will recharge your battery for free. which should take about approximately 2hours of duration to charge. if the battery still has no juice.you need a new one.

they should i dont see why not... if you go in early or late when its dead, also some stores will give you like 5-10 bucks for your old battery when you buy anew one

Ohm's Law : V = IR or I = V/R where I = current in Amperes, V = Voltage, and R = Resistance
The ideal ammeter has zero resistance, but a real one has very close to zero resistance.
Ideal batteries also have zero resistance, but a real one also has very close to zero resistance.

So if you have a 12V battery with say .001 ohms of resistance and an ammeter with .001 ohms of resistance you end up with:

I = 12/.002 = 6000 Amps.

Ohm's Law : V = IR or I = V/R where I = current in Amperes, V = Voltage, and R = Resistance
The ideal ammeter has zero resistance, but a real one has very close to zero resistance.
Ideal batteries also have zero resistance, but a real one also has very close to zero resistance.

So if you have a 12V battery with say .001 ohms of resistance and an ammeter with .001 ohms of resistance you end up with:

I = 12/.002 = 6000 Amps.

so how does my capacitor stay reading at 14+

I = 12/.002 = 6000 Amps.

so how does my capacitor stay reading at 14+
Your capacitor?

i think autozone will recharge your battery for free. which should take about approximately 2hours of duration to charge. if the battery still has no juice. you need a new one.

really?! Thanks for telling me that man!

you need a new battery......your battery is just tired and doesnt have any more juice.

/thread

Man so the way my car is built, it would be considered "Labor intensive" to test my batter and change it at Autozone so they cant do it, Do servicecenters charge for stuff like this? Because I drive a 97 Lumina, and the battery is located in this box area I can't think of the name of it, but it aintlike sitting right on top like most batteries.

Back
Top Bottom