Race Based Question(s) From Children: How Would/Do You Respond?

A few years ago at my old job (elementary school) I was asked by a 7 yr old Mexican American student, why do people call themselves black?  He looked at me and told me that I was not black, but rather dark brown, because my skin was the color of a Snickers candy bar. He looked over to a car and pointed toward a tire, and said that was the color black, and said my skin was not that color, so I should not say I am black, but that I am dark brown. Taken aback by the question, I do not remember how I answered the question, but it is still something I remember from my experience of working in schools.  Just curious for those that have/do work in education, or with young people, have you ever been asked a racially based question and if so, how did you respond?

I used to work at the airport and this one kid said to his daddy "what is wrong with his eyes?", he was refering to me. I'm Chinese
eek.gif

Same reason for why white people are called white... but they're not really white.. they're like a tan

Originally Posted by PassMeTheSoySauce

I used to work at the airport and this one kid said to his daddy "what is wrong with his eyes?", he was refering to me. I'm Chinese
eek.gif

I can't lie I lol'd

We started callin them whites because they called us blacks first..you dont see anyone saying yellows and oranges

Just tell him its just short for saying African American, kinda like a nickname.... dont take it literally. When hes older he can find out the real reason.

Back
Top Bottom