Race is the craziest thing in America

I too have thought about this. I always think "what am I?" whenever I have to fill out those school surveys.

Originally Posted by bboy1827

In America we make so much out of race, then claim that it's a non-factor, we tell our kids not to see race, but I'm listed as an "african-american" and I've never been to Africa, nor do I identify with most Africans. I like apple pie and football, not....whatever they do in Africa. Why isn't "American" an option on most surveys and such?.  Sorry, I'm just really tired in lessons on sociology that I get everyday and are expected to give since I'm an "educated negro." I think this whole "white" "black" "spanish" blah blah is way over blown. I have more in common with the white dudes from the DMV area than I do with Nigerians. I was a middle class military kid, for all that "black history" I've been taught, I still don't feel akin to the black community, I feel akin to the people I grew up with, the blacks, whites, spanish, african, arab etc. people from the DMV. 
Discuss

you sound like an Uncle Tom.
you're a black man..and you should realize and recognize that because in everyone else's eyes that's exactly what you are..a black man.

whether you want to admit it or know it...somewhere down the line some of your ancestry came from Africa.

for you to diminish their culture and simply refer to it as "what they do in Africa" is kind of shameful IMO.

when you're put into a situation where race comes into play you will see the light and see that it IS in fact important.

and that "hate having to put 'African American' " when applying for jobs comment is disgraceful lol.

What I dont understand is why on surveys we cant just mark down American or non American.
It would be much simpler.

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

another race thread

This.
tired.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I remember some black dude use to circle "other" when we had tests, He told everyone in the class, Other black dudes were going HAM on him, Felt bad for the kid
30t6p3b.gif
tired.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I would never deny my race, Always proud of it.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by oidreez

Why not just call yourself black then?

some African Americans don't like this word either
laugh.gif
some dude really tried to explain to me that it was as bad as calling someone the nword and that he prefers African American

Not having identity issues ftw, I'm black, African American, Nigerian and Ibo-any of these labels will do
pimp.gif

I think its social class that is the issue. Compare this country to 50 years ago and you would see that progress has been made.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

laugh.gif
some dude really tried to explain to me that it was as bad as calling someone the nword and that he prefers African American

Not having identity issues ftw, I'm black, African American, Nigerian and Ibo -any of these labels will do
pimp.gif

Which reminds me of this passage from Wikipedia…not saying I neccesarily agree with it
Some black scholars have argued that the term "African-American" should refer strictly to the descendents of West or Central African slaves and free people of color who survived the slavery-era, and not the sons and daughters of black immigrants who lack that ancestry.[151] The argument being that grouping all blacks together regardless of their unique ancestral circumstances would inevitably deny the lingering effects of slavery with in the American slave descendent community, in addition to denying black immigrants recognition of their own unique ancestral backgrounds.In the book The End of Blackness published by author Debra Dickerson, she warned against drawing favorable cultural implications from upwardly mobile black immigrants who are not the sons and daughters of American slavery and racial segregation. She used the political rise of President Barack Obama, who is the son of a Kenyan immigrant, a result of "Lumping us all together,"[152] Dickerson claimed it, "erases the significance of slavery and continuing racism while giving the appearance of progress." On the liberal website Salon Dickerson wrote, "African-American", in our political and social vocabulary, means those descended from West African slaves".[152] Similar statements have been echoed by Stanley Crouch in a New York Daily News piece, Charles Kenzie Steele, Jr. of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference[153] and African-American columnist David Ehrenstein of the LA Times who accused white liberals of flocking to blacks who were "Magic Negros", a term that refers to a black person with no past who simply appears to assist the mainstream white (as cultural protagonists/drivers) agenda.[154] Ehrenstein went on to say "He's there to assuage white 'guilt' they feel over the role of slavery and racial segregation in American history."

Character > race.

I don't give a @#$! what race you are... if you're a good person, you're a good person.  F that race business, just because you're my 'color' or not don't make me cool with you or hate you.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

laugh.gif

Not having identity issues ftw, I'm black, African American, Nigerian and Ibo-any of these labels will do
pimp.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
U should've smacked dude on the spot. Me personally, I rather just be called black,
cause a white person could be born in Africa and be considered "African American". Just kinda makes you think sometimes.

Originally Posted by ChaosTheory

Character > race.

I don't give a @#$! what race you are... if you're a good person, you're a good person.  F that race business, just because you're my 'color' or not don't make me cool with you or hate you.
in order to determine character you must  establish  communication /initiation of contact(get to know the person better ) while race is just based on prejudice
sadly alot of  the majority even the socially liberal individuals still  try and avoid all contact with the minority (consciously or subconsciously ) therefore they never get to judge character because they already think they know some one's character based of the fact a person eats chicken or wears a fitted  ........you can be one of the best students with outstanding moral character but  the minute something goes missing   in your class you bet everybody will look at you (if you are black everybody else gets a pass)..this gets worse when dealing with institutions

Originally Posted by Frank Matthews

Originally Posted by bboy1827

In America we make so much out of race, then claim that it's a non-factor, we tell our kids not to see race, but I'm listed as an "african-american" and I've never been to Africa, nor do I identify with most Africans. I like apple pie and football, not....whatever they do in Africa. Why isn't "American" an option on most surveys and such?.  Sorry, I'm just really tired in lessons on sociology that I get everyday and are expected to give since I'm an "educated negro." I think this whole "white" "black" "spanish" blah blah is way over blown. I have more in common with the white dudes from the DMV area than I do with Nigerians. I was a middle class military kid, for all that "black history" I've been taught, I still don't feel akin to the black community, I feel akin to the people I grew up with, the blacks, whites, spanish, african, arab etc. people from the DMV. 

you sound like an Uncle Tom.
you're a black man..and you should realize and recognize that because in everyone else's eyes that's exactly what you are..a black man.

whether you want to admit it or know it...somewhere down the line some of your ancestry came from Africa.

for you to diminish their culture and simply refer to it as "what they do in Africa" is kind of shameful IMO.

when you're put into a situation where race comes into play you will see the light and see that it IS in fact important.

and that "hate having to put 'African American' " when applying for jobs comment is disgraceful lol.

This...

Do you understand what was done to the African's that were brought to America? They were literally breed as if they were Horses (i.e Willie Lynch). Nevertheless they, the Africans brought as slave, and through two centuraries of slavery, became the "African-Americans" we have today, my mom, my grandmothers/fathers, my great grandmothers/fathers. The people who took their own destiny into their hands. The people who fought for their rights and freedoms, and created the unity to clear the way for me and my children. To say that they fought for all that for us to be called "African" would be counter-productive. My forefathers fought for freedom in America, we had our chance to go, we stayed, because we built this country.  We fought for equality, and we continually try to separate ourselves. The idea in black culture is to be two-faced, act black around each other, than act white to get a job. How about you act like yourself all the time, act like the rights we won were to build a Nation, not create a separate one.  Slavery was one of the most inhumane act in human history, but no nation has become great without great tragedy. The idea is to move forward with what we help build as a nation...

To address those that are going to say "you sound grateful to whites" Grateful isn't the word, do I  feel their ancestors were lairs, cheats and thieves? Yes...Would I to say our ancestors were any better? No. Europeans were better at it. It is what it is. But it was my Grandmother, and the like, that fought to create the world that I have today, the opportunaties that I'm grateful for. It is my responsibility to make the world better for my kids, and I hope they are grateful to me for it.

And Morgan Freeman is that Dude.
pimp.gif

Excellent post seniosoul. Black history month was actually a brilliant, yet patronizing way to pacify blacks by Nixon. When people tried to call him on his bs, he could just point and say "look I alotted them a whole month!"

I like Freeman's statement for a couple reasons. 1) He has a point, 2) He is actually talking about a solution, not the problem itself. African Americans is a blanket term that has been politically acceptable ever since the post 60's movement adopted it as a way to identify with it's roots. While it may have a unifying aspect to group us all together as "African Americans. It is insulting to both africans and black americans in my opinion, for the very reason that it loses the identity and cultural characteristics of two different cultural groups.

Race is such an interesting topic to me, for a few reasons, 1.) I am part black myself 2.) The issue of race mixes itself across many different categories in America. The most interesting to me, is how some Americans just don't see the connection with Race, and how it matters to this day in America. They want to point to a bunch of other reasons as to why racial and cultural divides exist. In my opinion this is a denial of guilt, and privilege they have received in the process of holding down an entire race for well over a century of exponential financial growth, in major part due to our ancestors free labor.

In terms of America and it's screwed up nature toward race..

From the "Caucasian" side.... You either ignore it like it doesn't exist..... Or if you point out the %**@@* up things toward races that are not white you suffer from White Guilt...

It is one or the other... God forbid we become adults and be honest for a minute because it is the right thing to do, not for relieving some sort of guilt...

Race is a crazy thing in this country because it is either pushed completely under the rug and never been seen from again... Or accused of not just letting it go swept under the rug when you point out actual and obvious injustices..

Crazy World

Originally Posted by NubianDisaster

they say african-american/black on applications. shut up.

why should i be force to pick that when I'm light brown lol, why am I called black when I'm not literally  black

laugh.gif
just a dumb thought I had

I'm white and honestly as corny as it sounds I believe in the Human RACE....that's it. There are nationalities, and everybody has relatives from a different place, but as far as separating everybody into different categories? Nah.

Originally Posted by Jordanscrub

I'm white and honestly as corny as it sounds I believe in the Human RACE....that's it. There are nationalities, and everybody has relatives from a different place, but as far as separating everybody into different categories? Nah.

that's white privilege speaking there

Originally Posted by dgk3188

Originally Posted by Jordanscrub

that's white privilege speaking there
I'm black and believe the same thing.

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

Is a white person who was born and raised in Africa, then moved to the US still an African American?

If they wanted to, they honestly could be considered African American. It's definitely not a huge stretch like people probably think.

Back
Top Bottom