Race is the craziest thing in America

In America we make so much out of race, then claim that it's a non-factor, we tell our kids not to see race, but I'm listed as an "african-american" and I've never been to Africa, nor do I identify with most Africans. I like apple pie and football, not....whatever they do in Africa. Why isn't "American" an option on most surveys and such?.  Sorry, I'm just really tired in lessons on sociology that I get everyday and are expected to give since I'm an "educated negro." I think this whole "white" "black" "spanish" blah blah is way over blown. I have more in common with the white dudes from the DMV area than I do with Nigerians. I was a middle class military kid, for all that "black history" I've been taught, I still don't feel akin to the black community, I feel akin to the people I grew up with, the blacks, whites, spanish, african, arab etc. people from the DMV.

Discuss

I agree OP and as a young African American male the issue of race can be a lot to deal with at times. I feel as though the only thing we can do about it is to teach our offspring not
to see color or race just people.

Race is only a factor when there's a disagreement. When all parties are in agreement, we are universal. However, we have different appetites for uniformity so we'll always look at visual differences to validate a statement. You've done it in your post as well. It's ingrained.

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

Race is only a factor when there's a disagreement. When all parties are in agreement, we are universal. However, we have different appetites for uniformity so we'll always look at visual differences to validate a statement. You've done it in your post as well. It's ingrained.

This is true.

i see what u saying OP .. but because of america's long history with race issues .. stuff like this will never die .. we will never be viewed as just americans ... no matter what ...

30t6p3b.gif
sucks but its true ...

just the way this country is
just like there still is racism in this country and races are usually still divided..
segregation is over? yeaa not really..
race will keep being a factor in the united states of america...

I can definitely understand what you're saying OP...When it comes to superficial differences there will always be some type of categorization. Though I'd like to see it, I doubt that people will ever uniformly identify one another as "the same", especially in America.

Originally Posted by Toilet Terror

hate applying for jobs and having to pick African American smh
How do you think we should identify ourselves. Something I have been thinking about a lot lately

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Toilet Terror

hate applying for jobs and having to pick African American smh
How do you think we should identify ourselves. Something I have been thinking about a lot lately
American, British, French etc. The identifying system seems to be part of the affirmative action system, which is not a bad system. I don't agree with affirmative action (I'm black if it matters) but I completely agree with the reasons we have the system. There really isn't a simple alternative.

its because america has so many groups and its not like in china where there is prominently chinese people and in africa is african ppl... etc, so what im trying to say is that the interactions between the races are different here than as opposed to UK.... they be chilling, i guess each country has its own problem but for us amercicans it has to be race... because almost everthing that happened here always has something to do with a race NO MATTER WHAT

they started we end it.
deep down everybody knows whats going on....except those who aren't meant to know.

I hate some of the negative stereotypes for Asian people... while some might be true, I still hate them.

At the same time though, it makes it easier to stand out. I'm pretty well spoken and Americanized so I always surprise white people whenever I meet them.

It really shouldn't matter, but it'll always be around just cause it's one of peoples' key defining differences. Until inter-racial relationships start to take over and everyone becomes mixed, we will always see and notice different people.

Originally Posted by trak1sh

Why can't we just be humans

Because after white people stopped calling us 3/5 of a human being, they needed a new way to seperate themselves from the blacks.

Originally Posted by dgk3188

Why don't we call white folks "European-Americans?

a lot of white people identify as Italian-American, Irish-American, etc.Same with AsiansAnd I know a lot of white people that if you ask what they are they'll be like, 1/3 French 1/2 German, 1/8 Cherokee etc.

Do you really dislike being called African-American because you don't "identify" with Africans, or do you just look down on us?

Back
Top Bottom