Racially Insensitive: Yay Or Nay (Nivea Ad) - Discuss

The first thing that came to mind was "savages", and "devils".
Neither one of those adds should have been approved.
...the hell was Nivea thinking? 
30t6p3b.gif

The over sensitivity in this country needs to stop. Hell, if im Nivea I would just stop using minorities in my advertisements all together. If this is how its going to be, no point in putting your company through this because people are too soft.

I think this is a bit of a reach. I can see where you're getting at, but I still think it's a reach. I'm more insulted when they
have Beyonce wear makeup 5 shades brighter than she really is to the point where you can't tell the difference between
her and Kate Hudson.

Here's the thing. Some people are always going to be over sensitive about these types of things. Companies and their marketing teams know this. So why even run something like that? On some level you have to question the motive behind these things, no?

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Yup, this is what people should focus on
30t6p3b.gif

You got a thread on a freaking skin care ad get more replies than one on black unemployment. Pathetic.
indifferent.gif

It's not about simply a skin care product obviously. It's about the portrayal of the black man used to advertise this product, and  this is only one example, we are constantly subjected to the stereotypical ideals of "blackness" in American culture, while some rich white people capitalize off everything.   

Only an idiot would deny the power behind the billion dollar marketing industry propagating these bull !@@% products to the masses...its predatory. 

Originally Posted by xhxxkxxdx

Anything can be construed as racist if that's your mindset
yup. if you're a racist to begin with, chances are you'll think this is racist. 
like the dunce above you for example

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Im with DC on this one though...
this is how it is nowadays....it's not in your face anymore
it's all those subtle little things which pecks at society's mindset about how to view minorities.

But it really has nothing to do with that. Thats what people are putitng into it.
its like looking at this image:
corrupted_mind.jpg

You see what you want to see. You have been trained all your life to see some negative image of minorities, and of course that image sticks in your head. So thats the first thing you think of. Even if isnt the original intent of the author.
But the American society really has to break this. Because its just red herring the real issues that really affect minorities

it's all those subtle little things which pecks at society's mindset about how to view minorities.
This. Very subversive and insensitive. Afro's aren't even in style anymore so they were very deliberate when conjuring up that image.
And to the people complaining about being sensitive, it's not even about that. It's about accountability. I'm not losing any sleep over Nivea ads, but if you give an inch these companies will take a mile. 

Originally Posted by RavageBX

This. Very subversive and insensitive. Afro's aren't even in style anymore so they were very deliberate when conjuring up that image.
ITS SUPPOSE TO BE A PREHISTORIC CAVEMAN. Are people dumb as rocks this days?

Originally Posted by sn00pee

Oh so cavemen wore their hair in 70's style afro's. Cool. I didn't know that.

Cmon kid, use your brain. If a black man let his hear grow its gonna look like a freakin afro.

And to the people complaining about being sensitive, it's not even about that. It's about accountability. I'm not losing any sleep over Nivea ads, but if you give an inch these companies will take a mile. 

I completely agree with both posters.

It's not supposed to be a 70's Afro.
It's just showing the contrast between "Un-groomed hair"  (the head in his hands) vs. "Groomed" (the dude's head).

You're reaching.

This whole thread is 
eyes.gif

Cmon kid, use your brain. If a black man let his hear grow its gonna look like a freakin afro.
How bout you use YOUR brain. His beard is stylized for Christ's sake lol. Have you seen the Geico commercials? That's what a caveman looks like. Hair growing everywhere and unkempt. This is very far from that. Continue to make excuses if you like.

indifferent.gif
 Logout.

How bout you use YOUR brain. His beard is stylized for Christ's sake lol. Have you seen the Geico commercials? That's what a caveman looks like. Hair growing everywhere and unkempt. This is very far from that. Continue to make excuses if you like.
first, its a freakin mask. second, youre over analyzing this WAAY too much.

I mean...that fact that they associated a black person's natural hair state with being being "uncivilized" does
catch my eye a little bit. Whether or not I would have noticed before it was pointed out...I'm not too sure.

first, its a freakin mask. second, youre over analyzing this WAAY too much.
I know
30t6p3b.gif
It's cool for McDonald's to have black ppl singing rnb about mcnuggets. It's cool for popeye's to have some random black chick shuckin and jiving about chicken she allegedly makes. It's cool that all the folks who wear their hair in an afro should be made to feel as though they're uncivilized. It's cool bro. It's just advertising.

Originally Posted by MARINADELREY

yall soft
No.  We're not soft.
The issue here is that there are two groups of minorities here on NT.  There are NTers like myself for whatever
reason (age, educational background, upbringing, the region of the country they live) are more racially conscious.
There's another group of minorities that for reasons of (younger age, educational background, upbringing, the region of the country they live) haven't any negative situations, or exclusion based on the color of their skin.
These two groups are going to continue to but heads. But there's no way that I'm going to smile and let this type of
blatant racism happen after all that my parents and generations before them had to go through.

If you stand for this type of crap, then you may as well let companies retro their original packaging with black-face ads.

Originally Posted by Supermanblue79

Originally Posted by MARINADELREY

yall soft
No.  We're not soft.
The issue here is that there are two groups of minorities here on NT.  There are NTers like myself for whatever
reason (age, educational background, upbringing, the region of the country they live) are more racially conscious.
There's another group of minorities that for reasons of (younger age, educational background, upbringing, the region of the country they live) haven't any negative situations, or exclusion based on the color of their skin.
These two groups are going to continue to but heads. But there's no way that I'm going to smile and let this type of
blatant racism happen after all that my parents and generations before them had to go through.

If you stand for this type of crap, then you may as well let companies retro their original packaging with black-face ads.

Stopped reading there. wait, i read most of it
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom