Racially Insensitive: Yay Or Nay (Nivea Ad) - Discuss

^So you're more or less posting blatant racist ads to one that can have several interpretations?

Making a mountain out of a molehill, bro...

Originally Posted by sniper

^So you're more or less posting blatant racist ads to one that can have several interpretations?

So you don't see the similarity as to why people of color would be upset? 

If you want to set yourselves and have your mentalities dated to the past thinking that society is always out to get you or that there is always a hidden agenda, that's completely your call. Good luck progressing with a chip on your shoulder as you'll end up going out of your way searching for the negative or fabricating a negative when there was nothing there in the first place.

laugh.gif
one of the dumbest statements made in this thread. Dirty just lock this thread up before it gets way too out of hand. Nivea pulled the ad and appologized, case closed.

-The Juice

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

I see how one can categorize them, but the differences are quite drastic...

Originally Posted by 0renthalJames

If you want to set yourselves and have your mentalities dated to the past thinking that society is always out to get you or that there is always a hidden agenda, that's completely your call. Good luck progressing with a chip on your shoulder as you'll end up going out of your way searching for the negative or fabricating a negative when there was nothing there in the first place.

laugh.gif
one of the dumbest statements made in this thread. Dirty just lock this thread up before it gets way too out of hand. Nivea pulled the ad and appologized, case closed.

-The Juice
So you're saying there is no one with that logic? I've seen a few posters in this thread that have those characteristics or their likeness and I've seen many people with that form of mentality in daily-living (This is of all races, not just one in particular). Looks like you just fed off another poster's response to mine as you have nothing of substance to offer...

It's very simple. For those that didn't notice, it's because you have been taught that way. For those that say "Black people always make it about race", it's because you were taught that way. And in case you didn't know, everything in this country is about

race. Politics is about race. For those that compared the Asians to Blacks, there is no comparison. Asians weren't forcefully brought over from their homeland and ripped of every bit of culture, religion, and value that they had to be forced into slave labor,

inhuman conditions, and European culture. Everyone can see the full effect of the institutions that have been put into place here in this country and they simply serve two purposes. Protect and enforce the values, privileges, and riches of the ruling elite (rich

white/middle class white ppl) and to oppress, restrict, and limit the growth and self-determination of people furthest away from Caucasian skin color or lack thereof. Those who created the ad have also been taught by the same people so why be surprised

when ads like these come out? Its expected because they were taught to think that way. The apology means nothing, for it is simply to retain every possible consumer since that increases their bottom line. I'm a black male with dreads, and I have been

oppressed every single second of every single day of my life. So excuse me if I come off as "sensitive".

Originally Posted by gotJz

It's very simple. For those that didn't notice, it's because you have been taught that way. For those that say "Black people always make it about race", it's because you were taught that way. And in case you didn't know, everything in this country is about

race. Politics is about race. For those that compared the Asians to Blacks, there is no comparison. Asians weren't forcefully brought over from their homeland and ripped of every bit of culture, religion, and value that they had to be forced into slave labor,

inhuman conditions, and European culture. Everyone can see the full effect of the institutions that have been put into place here in this country and they simply serve two purposes. Protect and enforce the values, privileges, and riches of the ruling elite (rich

white/middle class white ppl) and to oppress, restrict, and limit the growth and self-determination of people furthest away from Caucasian skin color or lack thereof. Those who created the ad have also been taught by the same people so why be surprised

when ads like these come out? Its expected because they were taught to think that way. The apology means nothing, for it is simply to retain every possible consumer since that increases their bottom line. I'm a black male with dreads, and I have been

oppressed every single second of every single day of my life. So excuse me if I come off as "sensitive".
Let's play who's the biggest minority! *yawn*
cjbu3.jpg

OMG, they're implying a black man doesnt have the mental capacity to hold limes! THEY MUST BE RACIST AND I MUST FEEL BUTTHURT! RAGE!

The differences are quite drastic cause the pics he posted are from the early 1900's. Do you really think major companies in 2011 who want to make money and be successful
would overtly have those same types of titles for their marketing and promotions?

Originally Posted by sn00pee

OMG, they're implying a black man doesnt have the mental capacity to hold limes! THEY MUST BE RACIST AND I MUST FEEL BUTTHURT! RAGE!

Wow, i know gotJz may have appeared overly "sensitive", but you just came off as a moron. At least you're overtly coming off as a moron instead of attempting to be subtle though.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by sn00pee

Wow, i know gotJz may have appeared overly "sensitive", but you just came off as a moron. At least you're overtly coming off as a moron instead of attempting to be subtle though.

strawman more bro.

Firms like Nivea and Gillette and others that make razors for men ad other pre and pst shave products simply do not like the fcat that neatly trimmed beards are becoming totally accotable and even popular among men and they they are losing business to the makers of electric razors, which is all one need for a nice and neat beard.

A firm like Nivea would love it if all men were always clean shaven and that they shaved in the morning and after noon and maybe before bed for good measure. Equalting a beard with civiliation is a good advertising campaign style as is making a shaggy beard seem like something that is infernal. The text from the ads could be switched and be applicable, most blacks believe that hell exists and whites have had a petiod in their history where they society was not civilized and later did embrace literacy and urban living in Europe. Having baths and more grromin gare marks of civilization (although being clean shaven went in and out of style since the time of the Greek Polis and the same was true of Rome and Medieval Europe and Victorian Britain and other times and spaces in Western/European History.

Originally Posted by 0renthalJames

Ravage, speak your opinion no more. Let's just let the subtle stuff slide, and let ads like this and the State Farm one continue to flourish. Let's watch how out of hand things will get with the wording and imagery of these ads. Like I said earlier, if it's not blatant, people won't get it. Since we aren't slaves anymore, racism only ....occasionally happens
eyes.gif

It's true black people DO pull the race card too much. But so what, at least we try to monitor the nonsense that goes one with issues like this. And not just let it slide like other races (like Ravage said). Black people do enough on their own to hurt the image of black people (WSHH)....we don't need movies, commercials, and print ads to further jump in. We are soft because we are only looking at ONE ad. But if you pull all the racially insensitive ads that have happened within the last 10 years...would you still consider us soft? So are we sensitive or are white people too aggressive? 

Either way the Nivea ad was pulled, and they will think twice before they ever do it again.

-The Juice
*Rock-clap-gif*

The differences are quite drastic cause the pics he posted are from the early 1900's. Do you really think major companies in 2011 who want to make money and be successful
would overtly have those same types of titles for their marketing and promotions?

Thank you for the timeline. I thought those were recent...
indifferent.gif

Regardless, it doesn't negate that they are very far from one another in terms of marketing. One is extremely forthright in portraying Africans in a sublevel manner while the other appears to be promoting a "better" person. (By better person, I'm referring to hygiene. Nothing more, nothing less.). Apples and Oranges. Yes, that is a whole other era and the period was definitely different from now, but are you suggesting this is Nivea's ploy and primary focus? So you're saying that this is, indeed, their modern form of defamation? If this is the case, you're spending too much time on one company's unintentional ad-campaign while there are real problems and real prejudices out there...

Looks like you're just subtly "reaching"...

Thank you for the timeline. I thought those were recent...
indifferent.gif

Regardless, it doesn't negate that they are very far from one another in terms of marketing. One is extremely forthright in portraying Africans in a sublevel manner while the other appears to be promoting a "better" person. (By better person, I'm referring to hygiene. Nothing more, nothing less.). Apples and Oranges. Yes, that is a whole other era and the period was definitely different from now, but are you suggesting this is Nivea's ploy and primary focus? So you're saying that this is, indeed, their modern form of defamation? If this is the case, you're spending too much time on one company's unintentional ad-campaign while there are real problems and real prejudices out there...

Looks like you're just subtly "reaching"...

I know this issue is dead now, but is that how you really took that, when I said those were from the 1900's? Did you really think I insulted your intelligence as if I didn't think you could read those past advertisements?

Regarding the recent Black-Asian race arguments I've been noticing (this and the Georgetown/China thread), all I have to say is this.

All minorities in America... we need to stop arguing with each other and start collectively organizing. The truth is, a good deal of the majority Americans in power (upper/high middle class whites, especially the older ones with power), aren't going to want to see the rise of any minority. I'm not implying or saying that white people are racist. I'm saying that the current power-holders in the country, who happen to be older whites, will be resistant to minorities entering positions of power.

It's why there are so many damn stereotypes and insulting viewpoints of Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, etc. I can think of a ton of negative stereotypes that apply to minorities, yet I can't think of ONE that applies to the majority - whites. I'll admit I'm not looking to find any out, but just living in America I constantly hear all these shots at minorities while no one ever questions the majority.

If we keep clashing with one another, we'll all remain at the same level. And that's exactly what those in power want. They don't want minorities to band together and actually potentially create a viable threat to their world, and you could say they're winning. All these petty race incidents where Blacks fight with Asians fighting with Hispanics... I'm not going to tell anyone what to do. But if you want to see any kind of change for us minorities in America, you gotta stop fighting with one another. Fight the majority. We're all on the same side here. We're all underrepresented and poorly viewed, one way or another. Some of our ancestors have been through more than others. But that doesn't change where we are today. And minorities are the bottom feeders of America. Until we learn that we're all fighting for the same thing - equal viewpoints and representation, we'll always be considered "inferior".

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Any Asians, are there any "Asian Panther" type groups out there? Legit question.

Long story short, no.

Or there might be, but I haven't heard of them. Which means they might as well not exist, cause they aren't doing a good enough job of garnering attention.

The unfortunate truth is that a good deal of Asians are more passive than normal. It's how we were brought up, to shut the hell up when you were wronged and stay focused on the ultimate goal of success. And in a way, it's why these stereotypes exist today. Like the dude said earlier, as you know, Asians are seen as weak pushovers. It's not because it's true, it's because a lot of our parents taught us to always pick the safe route, do what you're told and move forward in life.

That's why you see a lot of Asians who most would consider "beta" or weak, or whatever. Cause they don't stand up when they feel something is wrong, they stay silent. Or they won't fight back when they feel insulted. A big part of Asian culture is to take the safe route, instead of taking risks. How many Asians do you see trying to pull women on the streets? Or interrupting a conversation when he feels dissed? It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's the reason why things are the way they are.

There won't be any Asian Panther style groups just because 1. Our situation is rarely bad enough to warrant one. A very large number of Asians are well off and see nothing wrong with their lifestyle. 2. They don't want to sacrifice what they have if it means clashing with society. 3. We don't really work well together. For some reason, lots of Asians in America like to try and one up the next Asian. I don't know why, but it happens.

I read a great article on why Asians are viewed the way they are today, I'll try and find it for you.

Back
Top Bottom