Racially Insensitive: Yay Or Nay (Nivea Ad) - Discuss

thegrionivea400.jpg

Noe before you say they had a white ad as well, notice the words used here.

148417.jpg

Looks like you're reading too much into it. You can easily swap each saying and the point would still come across...

No. If the campaign had come out with the captions reversed there would still be people that would take it the wrong way.

Not everything has to have a double meaning.

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

No. If the campaign had come out with the captions reversed there would still be people that would take it the wrong way.

Then what exactly are you insinuating? 

Originally Posted by RedMan

A lot of people are all up on arms about these ads.

laugh.gif
srs?

so these people "up in arms" about these ads are admitting that black people are seen as uncivilized?

isn't that more racist in of itself?

Originally Posted by sniper

People jump to conclusions about things being racist when they're blatantly not. It's an ad for men having nice skin. Cmon son.

This is why NZ >>>> America when it comes to race. Nobody would give two hoots about this ad campaign.

Originally Posted by sniper

People jump to conclusions about things being racist when they're blatantly not. It's an ad for men having nice skin. Cmon son.
It's Nivea so it's clear what their ad intentions are. I was implying that it shouldn't be taken to extremes. I've yet to hear of any complaints or uproars about these ads so although I can see where someone can take it wrongly, you'd really have to be reaching...

Check out their FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/NIVEAusa

They pulled the ad. I never said I was done with "this stuff."

My point is, before putting this ad out, there is no way that they couldn't have previewed this type of reaction. But that is the point of marketing right? Get folks talking about your company/product.

^^ I completely agree on the reaching and not taking it to extremes part. Perhaps I worded my response incorrectly. I'd never have looked at it from a race point of view until DC questioned it. And I don't find it insensitive but I can see the possibility of somebody with extreme views lashing out about this.

Edit:

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Check out their FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/NIVEAusa

They pulled the ad. I never said I was done with "this stuff."

My point is, before putting this ad out, there is no way that they couldn't have previewed this type of reaction. But that is the point of marketing right? Get folks talking about your company/product.

Sometimes it doesn't work out well though, even if people are talking about the company/productTelecom, a company here, had an "Abstain for the Game" campaign leak for the rugby world cup in a months time. It was done by Saatchi & Saatchi. I found it somewhat amusing but couldn't (and still don't) understand how abstaining for rugby would be a good ad campaign, but $#@*! People took it to another level, all up in arms about it. Ranting and raving. People can't take a joke (even if it was pretty bad). It got pulled yesterday morning, the day after it got leaked.

And although it got the whole nation talking about Telecom, it wasn't a good thing.

^Agreed. It's definitely something a radical activist can use, but in terms of true substance, it can easily be dismissed as truly a race-issue...

^^ I completely agree on the reaching and not taking it to extremes part. Perhaps I worded my response incorrectly. I'd never have looked at it from a race point of view until DC questioned it. And I don't find it insensitive but I can see the possibility of somebody with extreme views lashing out about this.
Extreme? Only an extreme individual would point this out.

In the simplest forms this is how I view it. It was a well thought out ad, I don't think it was an accident. You know how many eyes these things pass over before it is "finalized." I am sure it is more than 2 sets of eyes.

I see an ad with a black male, and I see Nivea telling him to re-civilize himself. You don't use words like that in this day in age man. No way you can tell me a reaction wasn't expected from this use of words.

You might think it is a reach but I think it is blatant honestly.

Ever wonder if you are reaching....or not reaching enough? This day and age, if it's not blatant with 100% CSI, Law and Order type evidence, people will dismiss it. (see: Casey Anthony trial)

As far as this ad is concerned, as a graphic desinger/art director....I would have NEVER used that wording on the black ad. I think people truly do not realize how little minorities are featured in movies, ads, voice overs. So when a company does decide to put a minority on the ad, they should reallllly be careful on how they present it. You don't want to spend money on an advertisment and then have to pull it.

BTW the State Farm commercial with the black couple, was a slap in the face...and people gladly took it.

-The Juice

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Extreme? Only an extreme individual would point this out.

In the simplest forms this is how I view it. It was a well thought out ad, I don't think it was an accident. You know how many eyes these things pass over before it is "finalized." I am sure it is more than 2 sets of eyes.

I see an ad with a black male, and I see Nivea telling him to re-civilize himself. You don't use words like that in this day in age man. No way you can tell me a reaction wasn't expected from this use of words.

You might think it is a reach but I think it is blatant honestly.

People like you make this stupid stigma, that further sets minorities apart. It has absolutely nothing to do with race, yet you want to bring race into it. Crying wolf on things like this only belittles the real racial issues we face in America. It pisses me off to see trivial issues like this blown out of proportion.

Yup, this is what people should focus on
30t6p3b.gif

You got a thread on a freaking skin care ad get more replies than one on black unemployment. Pathetic.

Originally Posted by 0renthalJames

Ever wonder if you are reaching....or not reaching enough? This day and age, if it's not blatant with 100% CSI, Law and Order type evidence, people will dismiss it. (see: Casey Anthony trial)

As far as this ad is concerned, as a graphic desinger/art director....I would have NEVER used that wording on the black ad. I think people truly do not realize how little minorities are featured in movies, ads, voice overs. So when a company does decide to put a minority on the ad, they should reallllly be careful on how they present it. You don't want to spend money on an advertisment and then have to pull it.

BTW the State Farm commercial with the black couple, was a slap in the face...and people gladly took it.

-The Juice
Thank you.

And shut up with this "switch the captions" .."if it were reversed" nonsense. The fact is, we see it as it is. 
30t6p3b.gif

Im with DC on this one though...
this is how it is nowadays....it's not in your face anymore
it's all those subtle little things which pecks at society's mindset about how to view minorities.

Back
Top Bottom