"Racism is as American as baseball"

If nobody had ever injected politics into sports, Ortiz wouldn't even be allowed to play in the league. Sooooo......

we really gonna re-litigate Jackie Robinson? :lol:

David Ortiz, as well as other players with his frame of mind just worry about da game.

people go to sports as a escapism from other things in society.

its da same thing with music, some artists just wanna make their party music, damn everything else. who is anyone to stop em from doin them?

if people have done their research, they'd realize Sports and Politics go together like PB and jelly.

Always has. Acknowledging it just depends on if you agree with the politics or not. "Escapism" is some childlike, cognitive dissonance.

sports to escape politics even with them hittin you over the head with "patriotism" ethnocentrism and outright racism

IMO, National Anthems just drags the game. It's not necessary. I watch Premier League soccer and they don't sing "god save the queen" before every match and it's more entertaining than the other american sports leagues I watch.

*fixed

Last edited:
sports to escape politics even with them hittin you over the head with "patriotism" ethnocentrism and outright racism

Fa real we don't do the pledge of allegance in high school so lets take the national anthem out of sports. No one comes to a sporting event to to hear songs. They want action.

I love how sports are used to escape reality but sports happen in the realm of reality so there is no escape. Plus the olympics seems rather political to me.

IMO, National Anthems just drags the game. It's not necessary. I watch Premier League soccer and they don't sing "god bless the queen" before every match and it's more entertaining than the other american sports leagues I watch.
Fam, it's god save the queen :lol:

sports to escape politics even with them hittin you over the head with "patriotism"

are you aware of da fact a huge portion of da population doesn't care about politics in anyway, shape, or form?

are you also aware no matter how determined people are to make it so, this huge population will continue to not care about politics and will exclusively only care about Sports, Baseball for this example, including da players until it directly effects their lives?

im not gonna knock people who don't follow politics, they're not obligated to and i ain't gonna imposed it on them. it is what it is.

IMO, National Anthems just drags the game. It's not necessary. I watch Premier League soccer and they don't sing "god bless the queen" before every match and it's more entertaining than the other american sports leagues I watch.
I find the whole idea of it rather ridiculous from my Belgian perspective. I don't mean to offend as there is obviously a difference in culture regarding that but it comes off as a bit cultish to me with the whole pledges of allegiance in schools, the anthem being everywhere, ...
We learned the national anthem once in elementary school and that was it. No weird pledges of allegiance other than that one time, constant anthem reciting, ... I know maybe 2 or 3 sentences and I have no interest in changing that. It serves no point as I would never need to use it in any occasion. I don't see the anthem as having any relevance to one's national pride and I honestly don't know a single person who knows the whole thing. My parents don't know the anthem either.
When our national soccer team is playing, usually the majority of the players stay quiet and don't sing along the anthem. I also never really see or hear the anthem on tv etc outside of that specific setting. Hence why I literally only know 2 or 3 sentences from it. :lol:
In short, people generally couldn't care less about the anthem here.

I don't mind it in those kind of sports settings but if it were to be a regular thing in standard matches it would probably annoy me for being a waste of time.

Everytime there is a strike or lockout.All these players want be to car about labor rights and the importance of collective bargaining.

Ortiz is the same dude that hopped on the mic after the Boston bombing and talking about terrorism and "his ****ing city". No one told him to shut up and just play baseball, and that they were trying to escape. And when the FCC chose not to take action for the f-bomb, baseball fans sure seemed to like that.

170917-kenneth-gleason-mugshot-1147a-rs_eb9cc1ef8a2c6f7c47ba4b80692f2b0b.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

BATON ROUGE, La. —Louisiana authorities say a white man accused of killing two black men has been linked to third shooting in which he fired on the house of an African-American family in his neighborhood.

No one died in that shooting, which occurred before the other two deaths.

Interim Police Chief Jonny Dunnam said he was confident that Kenneth James Gleason "would have killed again" if he had the chance.

Authorities would not say what the motive for the shootings was but said they had not ruled out that they were racially motivated.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...hooting/ar-AAse25K?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

RIP to these men. It's scary what the United States has devolved in nine short months. I get there will always be racism and religious hate but to think how far back in time we've traveled and how much progression is rapidly being erased and even energized is crazy.

There was never any "real" progression dude..
A lot of y'all are fools who think white people ever cared. I guess y'all have been getting rude awakenings, as you've grown up.

Black folks need to stop seeking acceptance, and we need to focus on us, and us only. It's not hard to realize.

A lot of y'all are fools who think white people ever cared. I guess y'all have been getting rude awakenings, as you've grown up.

Black folks need to stop seeking acceptance, and we need to focus on us, and us only. It's not hard to realize.

There are white people who cared and/or care though. Not all whites are created equal. Believe that.

wealth-urban.png

Facts, but im not sure what 'focusing on us' entails.

Back
Top Bottom