Racism or no Racism: Delonas' Cartoon - Your Thoughts?

All pub is good pub with the NYP.

Just look at the recent history.

I would like to know the articles/editorials/cartoons that were not passed through by the editors there...............................................

MyT speak your mind. Or PM with your thoughts. Some people are saying nobody should be suprised, others ae saying that this has nothing to do with racism atall,

so all opinions are welcolme slim...

Lilstar... you hear racism towards whites daily on the radio, but could you throw out some example..i'm not trying to call you out btw

And i'm not trying to start a big racism thread, just want to hear every ones opinion on the Delonas issue as well as other cases of racism people readabout or face on a day to day

Freedom of speech aside, if the monkey in the cartoon was truly meant to be Obama then the NY Post (which, as mentioned before, just slightly edges out theNational Enquirer and Weekly World News for its content) would have been receiving a visit from the Secret Service (an implied threat to the President trumpsfreedom of speech). It's a bit of a stretch IMO to tie in two totally unrelated news stories and trying to make it work (which frankly it didn't) butI think it's even more of a stretch to call it racism.

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

what they are saying is that a monkey could have wrote the stimulus plan

First thing I thought about when I saw the cartoon. Poor attempt at a joke though, and I still think he knew what he was doing. But... don't like the cartoon? Don't buy the paper.
You don't have to buy the paper to actually see the cartoon though... thats the thing. Newspapers are a dying breed anyway, so anything thatcan bring attention to them is a good thing in their eyes.

You think this will be the last racial UNDER Tone Message put out by anyone? Thats silly to think. This is just the beginning. Everyone involved knew whatwas going on and a defense was thought of before it was printed.

A March on the newspaper by Big Boy isn't going to change anything but make him look like an opportunist..again. I mentioned it on my show and kept itmoving cause its whats expected...nothing shocks me anymore.

Unless you didn't attend (point out that I did not say graduate) from high school, its obvious that the historical racial-embeddedreference of African-Americans as monkeys is prevalent in that cartoon.

The monkey being "shot" was just the icing on the cake... **kisses tips of fingers *

To let you know "just in case" you were trying to be optimistic, naw, the image meant what it meant.

Manifico New Your Post!

Keep up the excellent work!

Yes, polictical speech is protected under the First Amendment... UNLESS it incites harm or potential violence/uproar frompublic... This is not boarderline people.

Open your f*^#ing eyes............................................................

They could atleast had one black cop in the picture to make it post 1970s..............................................

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

Unless you didn't attend (point out that I did not say graduate) from high school, its obvious that the historical racial-embedded reference of African-Americans as monkeys is prevalent in that cartoon.
How so?

If President Bush, Clinton, or Bush, Sr. was in office, the cartoon wouldn't have even been passed through the editors to print.
indifferent.gif

Why didn't they use an elephant? A kitten? Historically, it would have been stupid to'

There are many ways you can say something without actually saying it.

Prime example...

My step mother is one of the city managers of Chesapeake, Va (there are 3 total). She just got promoted a year ago. My father is a cop down there, 2 yearsaway from retirement.

We all know the budget issues the state of Va are having, everywhere.

During a "WIRE" type police-only meeting in a board room, one captain says in a meeting with my obviously present, "Chesapeake needs to cut oneof them city managers. That's what we need to do." And looks directly eye to eye at my Pops.

Now. Did the captian say my mother's name? No.

But, if my father responded the way he wanted to, he would have suffered ultra punishment.

Get it?

Just enough room to call my father "ignorant" if he lashed out and say he took things the wrong way, when the captain meant what he meant.

Minorities deal with this daily.

It's like taking a shower.

If President Bush, Clinton, or Bush, Sr. was in office, the cartoon wouldn't have even been passed through the editors to print.
indifferent.gif

Why didn't they use an elephant? A kitten? Historically, it would have been stupid to'

There are many ways you can say something without actually saying it.

Prime example...

My step mother is one of the city managers of Chesapeake, Va (there are 3 total). She just got promoted a year ago. My father is a cop down there, 2 years away from retirement.

We all know the budget issues the state of Va are having, everywhere.

During a "WIRE" type police-only meeting in a board room, one captain says in a meeting with my obviously present, "Chesapeake needs to cut one of them city managers. That's what we need to do." And looks directly eye to eye at my Pops.

Now. Did the captian say my mother's name? No.

But, if my father responded the way he wanted to, he would have suffered ultra punishment.

Get it?

Just enough room to call my father "ignorant" if he lashed out and say he took things the wrong way, when the captain meant what he meant.

Minorities deal with this daily.

It's like taking a shower.

So I take it that you think that the chimpanzee is a direct reference to Obama then?
If I thought that's what they were trying to convey then yeah I would agree with you but to me it looks like they're referencing Congress which to memaking that comparison is actually insulting to the chimpanzee (though again the guy is still stretching to make a point).
As far as the situation with your father and stepmother, from what I read it's an obvious powertrip from a superior to be certain but racially motivated? Personally I'd have to know more about the captain in question, just trying to get in someone's head who is of another race to me doesn'tnecessarily equal racist intentions.

They could atleast had one black cop in the picture to make it post 1970s..............................................

Kev. this was a point I made at a Water cooler Convo...

Why wasn't ONE cop at least Asian, Mexican.. Black.. whatever.. but two cops shootin a Monkey....?

Put two black cops shootin a white guy with a box of saltine cracka's and see if anyone thinks that is racist? hmmmm prolly.

Originally Posted by RockDeep

Kev. this was a point I made at a Water cooler Convo...

Why wasn't ONE cop at least Asian, Mexican.. Black.. whatever.. but two cops shootin a Monkey....?

Put two black cops shootin a white guy with a box of saltine cracka's and see if anyone thinks that is racist? hmmmm prolly.

Because it wasn't about the cops as they pretty much look exactly alike (with exaggerated features no less, wonder if the JDL will enter the fray?), makingthe cops look different might have allowed it to get the PC seal of approval but still wouldn't change the point of the cartoon.

It's obvious who voted republican in here

I'm sick of people being blatantly racist and then pleading ignorance. One look at the owner of the paper and their history makes it obvious what they aretrying to say.

As for the "Obama didn't write it" arguement...unless your deep into politics, you wouldn't know that. That average person think this is"Obama's bill", because everytime they hear about it, they only hear his name.

And to badgeman, no the secret service would not pay a visit to the NY Post over a cartoon depicting a Chimpanzee being shot. Unless it was Obama himself. Likei said, Delonas is dumb, but not that dumb, he knows how to cover his tracks and he knew he could divert the Chimpanzee as being a symbol of congress/those whowrote the bill (even though the bill was written based on Obama and his cabinet's ideas)

therefore the bill writer's = Obama .. I'm still not understanding why some in here are trying to seperate the two. You just can't

Could be a reach, but The officers look alike for a reason as well.........

Hunter,

My mother is the only black (female at that) in that position...

My father is one of only 3 (last I checked) black male cops...

You do the math.

It adds up "the way" you want it to add up.

Again, just enough room to swing it both ways.

Hey the way I see is like this:

Back in the 50 and 60's and hell before there were ALOT of things said to Black folks that go FAR beyond this cartoon. Its only going to be amplified nowthat our President is Black.

So unless you are going to say something like Obama has been with lil boys or big animals.. Oh well..

He's still our Black Prez and those who don't like it can be salty until the next election. Sticks and stones. Are we surprised?

I can understand subtlety but I still don't see the tie to Obama being the chimpanzee is all.
Again does it stretch to make a point (and in doing so is ineffective in whatever message it was trying to convey)? Definitely.
But I don't see the intention of "I'm going to make a underhanded racist statement but act like it wasn't really a racist statement so nobodycan complain", if it's going to be that obscure then what's the point?

^^ lololol

Yeah.. it does almost seem like the Badgeman is just tryin to turn the Jagged edge in the gut.. I mean.. Im not the go hard all the time type.. But Badge..come on man.

I dont remember.. are you white or black.. I don't recall and whats your age range. It could clarify if you are just giving the fellas a hard time orsomething else...

Black people being depicted as apes, monkeys, gorillas, baboons, etc, isone of the oldest racial stereotypes/ canards that have been used to de-humanize blacks since people got in the de-humanizing black people game. There is areason the term "porch monkey" is an insult.

(And if you don't believe me you can read this article by a UCLAprofessor who conducted research on the psychological phenomenon of dehumanization. He specifically, examined cognitive associations between African Americansand non-human apes.

http://www.miller-mccune.com/article/little-things-are-still-a-big-deal-998http://www.miller-mccune....-are-still-a-big-deal-998)
99% of the time you associate a black person, or really just a person of color, with some kind of sub-human species like a gorilla or whatever, it ismore than likely racist. Just is… always has been, always will be.
And for those who say it doesn't matter, it really does. Alot actually. Perception is often reality and if you are consistently bombarded with images of me and people like me as something other than human, it will changehow you see me on such a deep subconscious level that you won't even realize it. That's why half of the peoplewho look at something like this say "it's not racist, he was talking about congress not Obama… what's the big deal" and I look at it andthink of an old saying my mom told me, "what do you call a black man with a PHD? A ni***r"

And I guarantee that there is not one black person in that NY Post editorial meeting where it was decided to run that comic, cause if there was I have faiththey would have said something, but to most of the folk it was just a gorilla being shot…………..right

And I said the same thing with Lebron was on the Vogue cover, but I guess I just see the racial angle toeverything.

Originally Posted by RockDeep

^^ lololol

Yeah.. it does almost seem like the Badgeman is just tryin to turn the Jagged edge in the gut.. I mean.. Im not the go hard all the time type.. But Badge.. come on man.

I dont remember.. are you white or black.. I don't recall and whats your age range. It could clarify if you are just giving the fellas a hard time or something else...
You goofed on an old picture of me in your thread just the other week, losing your memory already pops?
laugh.gif

Seriously, I didn't know I was "going hard", I just think that the logic being present tying the chimpanzee to Obama just because it referencesthe stimulus is hardly bulletproof so I was hoping I could get a perspective that actually ties them together. I understand racist analogies but I thinkpeople are stretching to apply it in this case. Apparently people would rather hear echoes of agreement than questions of why something is perceived a certainway in an effort to understand the situation better so by all means continue.

I still dont get where people are saying that Obama is the monkey...

I think some of y'all like to just make things seem harder then they actually are. Its a cartoon in a crappy paper that has zero cred. Deal.

People werent "up in arms" when Ludacris, a stupid ignorant rapper made a horrible comment about John McCain...

Ignorance is what it is, why some of you have this "bleeding heart" to make ignorant people see things the way you do is beyond me.

[Chris Rock]

"...And that's how good it is to be White...
NONE of y'all would trade places with me... AND I'M RICH!"

[/Bigger and Blacker]

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by VARISOXFAN

I still dont get where people are saying that Obama is the monkey...

I think some of y'all like to just make things seem harder then they actually are. Its a cartoon in a crappy paper that has zero cred. Deal.

People werent "up in arms" when Ludacris, a stupid ignorant rapper made a horrible comment about John McCain...

Ignorance is what it is, why some of you have this "bleeding heart" to make ignorant people see things the way you do is beyond me.

[The Roots]" For all of my people who understand and truly recognize that some wont get it and for that I wont apologize" [I will not apologize]

355921167.jpg

Back
Top Bottom