Randy Moss: "I'm The Greatest Wide Receiver of All-Time, Hands Down"

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-101/Of-Moss-and-men--He-ranks-himself-the-greatest.html
Of Moss and men: He ranks himself the greatest

May 26, 2009 7:40 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

Randy Moss is not a fan of Mark Murphy's list.

Murphy, an 11-year NFL safety and a member of the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame, ranked LeBron James fourth among the greatest receivers he has played with, competed against, coached or watched. James Lofton was first, Jerry Rice second, Steve Largent third.
[table][tr][td] [/td] [td]
nfl_g_moss01_200.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]David Drapkin/Getty Images[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]Randy Moss said he considers himself the best receiver to ever play the game.[/td] [/tr][/table]
When I shared Murphy's rundown during an interview with Moss on Monday, the New England Patriots receiver wasn't impressed.

Moss' reaction had little to do with James being on the list. It had everything to with Moss not being on top.

"I'm the best wide receiver of all-time, hands down," Moss said in an interview for ESPN.com's package that examined how James would fare in the NFL. "I could really give a damn what [Murphy] says.

"I don't really like to judge people or other athletes. I know what I'm able to do on the field, but the things I'm able to do to dictate how a defense plays the game, I don't think there's no other receiver but myself and Jerry Rice to be able to do that."

In case you haven't seen the stories, Moss contended James would be a star receiver, better than San Diego Chargers tight end Antonio Gates.

Moss, who turned 32 in February, still has a few years left. He ranks 15th in career receptions with 843, ninth in yards with 13,210 and third in receiving touchdowns with 135.

I asked if Moss felt he needed to break some of Rice's career records for the ultimate validation.

"Me, personally? No. But for the football fans and the sport itself? Yes," Moss said. "But records are meant to be broken. I think that I've made a mark for myself and my name to go down as if not the greatest but one of the greatest players.

"To hell with wide receiver. I think I go down as one of the greatest players to ever play this game."

Then Moss slammed on the brakes and put his career in a different context.

"I don't really know where I rank at, but as long as I get a Super Bowl ring before I leave this game, I think my life and my goal would be complete in the NFL," he said.

I wanted to speak with Moss for the LeBron package because he, too, was a phenomenal two-sport star in high school. Many believe Moss could have pursued a career in either football or basketball.

I also was intrigued with Moss' role as half-owner for Randy Moss Motorsports and wanted to see if NASCAR was a tempting diversion for him.

His football fans needn't worry about the track luring him away prematurely.

"Football is my love. That's my life," Moss said. "There's a lot of things I haven't done on the football field that I still want to do. I don't know what life after football holds for me. I would love for it to be in NASCAR if that's what it is.

"There's still a lot of football left in my body, and I want to definitely play until the wheels fall off."

I CONCUR.
pimp.gif

No.............Jerry Rice did it with very little speed at all.

If Jerry Rice had Randy Moss`s speed........his records would never be beat..........And randy WILL NOT beat all of Jerrys records.

Originally Posted by Lbruce89

with all of those championship rings, how can you argue with the man?
pimp.gif
honestly, why should that matter at all when we're talking about WRs?

we have all seen Randy Moss play... is he not the greatest physical specimen we have ever seen at the WR position? does he not have some of the moststatistically dominating seasons in history? why should we give a $%%@ how many rings he has won?

Dude played on the Vikings his whole career so being ringless isnt is fault...I wouldnt mind sayin hes the best of all time.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

Dude played on the Vikings his whole career so being ringless isnt is fault...I wouldnt mind sayin hes the best of all time.
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

http://www.youtube.com/v/5dmqGg6Ccvw&hl=en&fs=1

46b260c1f98d853ee114c2bfac0e36badd76d152.gif
ee7167138054e943b70624ce7774d9a7fab96892.gif
I definatly LOL'D when that happened. I dont mind Randy Moss. I was pissed when Favre wanted him and demanded the packers to go get him andthey did nothing. If he were on the Packers something diffrent woulda happend then him being with the Vikings...a ring
wink.gif

FTR...Packers>Vikings
smile.gif

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

pimp.gif

we have all seen Randy Moss play... is he not the greatest physical specimen we have ever seen at the WR position? does he not have some of the most statistically dominating seasons in history? why should we give a $%%@ how many rings he has won?

Aint this the same guy who made a habit of quitting on plays when the game was out of reach? Also, wasn't this the same guy who stunk up the joint with theRaiders?

I could list Moss as a great talent, and he has skills but the dude is flat out lazy on the field when he wants to be and has the nerve to tout himself as thegreatest WR in NFL history?
laugh.gif

JPZ, i can take that knowing it was Rodgers first year and he did damn good for it being his first.
Also knowing how much better hes gonna be this year along with the rest of the team, Esp their D.

But If you wanna talk last year, how about we talk 2 years ago?
tongue.gif

JPZ, i can take that knowing it was Rodgers first year and he did damn good for it being his first.
Also knowing how much better hes gonna be this year along with the rest of the team, Esp their D.

tongue.gif
What changed from 2007 to 2008 for the Pack?

What's going to change (June/July) from 2008 to 2009 for the Vikings?

happy.gif

Originally Posted by JPZx

tongue.gif
What changed from 2007 to 2008 for the Pack?

What's going to change (June/July) from 2008 to 2009 for the Vikings?

happy.gif
I have no idea
laugh.gif
Whats goin to change?

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

pimp.gif

we have all seen Randy Moss play... is he not the greatest physical specimen we have ever seen at the WR position? does he not have some of the most statistically dominating seasons in history? why should we give a $%%@ how many rings he has won?
okay, rings aside, is randy moss better than jerry rice? no

T.O. > moss

some might argue that moss is better than cris carter

but i'd take carter over moss

Back
Top Bottom