Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

wym by ruined by vicom

Viacom owning BET/MTV/VH1 plus radio stations across the country being homogenized to only play the same stuff. Somebody on here posted some chart years ago showing how at one point, more than 30 companies had a part in what was played on the radio, leading to the variety of stuff played all over (in which local stuff got their fair share of play), and now, there are only 3 companies in control of what's being played, which is why you can flip on the radio in any city and they will generally be playing the same stuff.

Last edited:
05/06 Gotti >>>>>

Back around this time regional music hadn't been destroyed by Viacom yet, so it was great driving to different states during track/CC season and actually hearing local music instead of non-stop Top 40

Gotti
Bruh I just be going
“Ooooooooh paaaarty yyyyeah”
During the whole song :lol: :pimp:

Deadass thought the sample was " yooo gottii yeaahh" for the longest

Nah. Nicki isnt a likeable person. She mainly did this to herself

That's my point, I think a lot of this came because she hasn't been able to be herself this entire time trying to keep fans happy. **** them b, nobody "deserves" to have people enjoying their public breakdown because they disliked some songs or tweets. We are in an era of entitled fans who think these people belong to them, & when that person does something they dislike they treat it like their own sibling turned their back on em. **** is in a weird space.

So we just gone run some gotti but we not gonna take it all the way back

Gotti ain’t hittin on nothing no more and it hurts my heart. But I’m biased cus he was that ***** when I was coming up, he commercial now but I ain’t even mad at him.

Side note that’s what’s up is the only song that can go toe to toe with future March madness in the club.

New York had bootlegging, so I always thought that was a factor. I always thought labels under reported a lot of albums in order to not pay artist. It's **** I had and everyone had, but you would see it only sold 150.

New York took the music for granted, plus it was easily accessible. In New York you're going to be compared to _____ to be supported and championed. Any artist that comes out. He's not Nas though. He's not Jay-Z.

But I was saying some of this during the Reasonable Doubt discussion. New York artist weren't going multi like Snoop and them. So gold was good. That didn't mean people slept on Illmatic. Illmatic was as big in the hood as Doggystyle. It only went gold though. It didn't go platinum until years later like Reasonable Doubt. Same with 36 Chambers. Enta Da Stage. It wasn't the Ja Rule and DMX era when dudes were selling 3 and 4. Going close to gold the first week.

I think that factored in to New York not feeling they were supported, because they weren't getting the sales that a lot of artist were getting without radio play. Too Short and DJ Quik were selling without commercial support. With how popular songs were by Naughty and Black Sheep, they didn't sell two mil at least?

Plus it turned on to Puff, because he was good at marketing himself and his artist and the radio stations supported him. Who is the radio going to play the uptempo danceable beat or the grimy New York production?

Preciate this

I think apart of what had the West Coast selling so much is they always had the South for support because of the cultural connections.

So it makes sense that somebody savvy like Hov would recognize that and reach out to a Cash Money or a UGK so they could all cross promote.

How did bun b and cash money link up back in the day?

Birdman used to be in Houston heavy, he was cool with DJ Screw and all them. That’s why Wayne loved H Town so much. A lot of black money was just in H town period back then kinda like what ATL turned into

Bun B was like the only non NO/CM _ on all them Cash Money songs going back to the early 90’s :lol:

Bro i'm just seeing the way twitter is treating Nicki right now, & i fully understand why artist just say **** their "Fans" and look out for themselves & do what makes them happy. the fickleness & trend hopping some of these people do is crazy, people are legit claiming that she may have a drug problem & are having a ball watching her demise.

Kendrick & Cole got it correct, Do whatever you want, don't cater to what fans ask you to do & continue to follow your vision. Because this game will eat you alive

Nah. Nicki isnt a likeable person. She mainly did this to herself

That's my point, I think a lot of this came because she hasn't been able to be herself this entire time trying to keep fans happy. **** them b, nobody "deserves" to have people enjoying their public breakdown because they disliked some songs or tweets. We are in an era of entitled fans who think these people belong to them, & when that person does something they dislike they treat it like their own sibling turned their back on em. **** is in a weird space.

I think it's like this. Fans want you humble. From the beginning most artist are humble, down to earth, relateable( i.e.Cardi). So fans want you to win, because they want to be there for your come up. But when you start doing stuff like posting your new Lamborghini and the receipts they start to turn their nose up at you. Like you changed. A lot of these artist get big heads and the money and fame changes them. Cardi will be getting the backlash soon. I think it's already started some.

But Nicki's ego got crazy. She's not likeable at this point. And the music isn't good enough to win over fans again. All this I have to be a B, and men are allowed to be a certain way. The fake feminism excusing why you're an ******* to people. That has nothing to do with how you treat people.

Rihanna and Beyonce are two of the biggest artist in the world but go about it different ways. Beyonce does the down to earth and humble thing. Rihanna does the relateable and real thing. It's not really possible to hate either one unless you're just a hater. You might dislike their music, but there's nothing about them to hate.

Nicki, she gives off an aura of phoniness. It was cool at 25, not so much at 35. Her fan was right about wanting to see some growth.

Her sound is dated and she has no huge record. It's that's simple, Cardi has a sound and style people are rocking with for now. She won't last as long as Nicki for sure but it's working. If anything Nicki is showing people who she really is now. A insecure, cornball from the jump.

I think it's like this. Fans want you humble. From the beginning most artist are humble, down to earth, relateable( i.e.Cardi). So fans want you to win, because they want to be there for your come up. But when you start doing stuff like posting your new Lamborghini and the receipts they start to turn their nose up at you. Like you changed. A lot of these artist get big heads and the money and fame changes them. Cardi will be getting the backlash soon. I think it's already started some.

Rihanna and Beyonce are two of the biggest artist in the world but go about it different ways. Beyonce does the down to earth and humble thing. Rihanna does the relateable and real thing. It's not really possible to hate either one unless you're just a hater. You might dislike their music, but there's nothing about them to hate.

These points are 100% how I feel. People take that “real” and relatable **** for granted and it work the same way for dudes. _’s will say you don’t be in the hood no more etc

Nicki better get on her “I’m still Nicki from the Bronx” **** quick :lol: :smh:

Edit: Gucci experiencing something similar right now. He was that _ that ALWAYS kept it street, now he ain’t out there like that he gotta hear about it, just how it go

the emergence of cardi made it easier for people to dismiss Nicki. Probably would’ve happened sooner but there was nobody else to run too. When u abandon your core to sel out for those fickle folks don’t try to run back to them now they moved on.

Back
Top Bottom