Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

I’ve seen this argument used a lot the other way around too tho

Just seem like a lot of ppl view being good at melodies and/or flow as a lesser talent in the rap context

I think the repetitive flows and melody is what gets criticized. From Hov, G Rap, Nas, Em, Andre flow has always been praised. It's A LOT of dudes now just recycling the same style.

Because this is the largest scale something like this has happened in hip hop and most important hip hop has roots in substance

Yeah most music has roots in substance. Music has been used to convey and evoke feeling since it's inception. I feel the cultural significance and hip hop culture is an anomaly in a way, but the base is in expressive repetitious poetry.

I really think it comes down to the message in the repetition, and at that point I can agree.

When you consider that certain pieces of music were crafted specifically to be memorable (I'm talking even hundreds of years ago) and then go back and read what people like Richard Middleton said about popular music and repetition it's easier to see how we ended up here.

I think the focus should shift to repetition of the right themes (Nas "I Can", Lauryn Hill "Doo Wop", Bill Withers "Lovely Day"). Repetition in popular music now isn't evoking the right feelings in the conscious and subconscious mind.

Sorry I typed a lot :lol:

Repetition in popular music now isn't evoking the right feelings in the conscious and subconscious mind.

this. from the fake depressed fake druggy soundcloud rappers to the ****** who sold a lil weed in college rapping everything trap shoot juug finesse because they dont have real worldview or story to tell

people just making music that checks off a certain aesthetic, beat and slang words

I’ve seen this argument used a lot the other way around too tho

Just seem like a lot of ppl view being good at melodies and/or flow as a lesser talent in the rap context

I can't roll with this considering ALL the greats have used extremely catchy melody in their music... Biggie, Pac, Hov, Rakim, LL, Em etc etc they have always used melody the only difference is they also focused in on the lyrics also.

A lot of these new guys get bashed because they are talking about things at the most surface level way possible & on top of it use extremely repetitive melody. Out of the newer cats Future, Thug, Swae Lee, Ty Dolla are some of the few that come up with unique melodies over & over again.

You stay getting on Nav :lol:

I can't roll with this considering ALL the greats have used extremely catchy melody in their music... Biggie, Pac, Hov, Rakim, LL, Em etc etc they have always used melody the only difference is they also focused in on the lyrics also.

A lot of these new guys get bashed because they are talking about things at the most surface level way possible & on top of it use extremely repetitive melody. Out of the newer cats Future, Thug, Swae Lee, Ty Dolla are some of the few that come up with unique melodies over & over again.

PNB Rock also.

I think the repetitive flows and melody is what gets criticized. From Hov, G Rap, Nas, Em, Andre flow has always been praised. It's A LOT of dudes now just recycling the same style.

Idk man I feel like a big portion of rap on a micro level has always been _'s running with trends and templates. Like regional rap is just lil area trends. You have an agreed upon template and then everybody just riff and do their own takes off that template. That’s how you could “listen to music and immediately know where somebody was from”, those lil cues from the template + accent etc. Somewhere along the way the ATL template took over and now _'s get made at you sounding like ATL even when you from ATL :lol:

In a way it’s just a lot easier to give _’s **** that you already know they like. Like when everybody was trying on the Migos flow or everybody wanted the same BMF - Lex Luger type beat etc. Artist development dying and casual fans who just like songs and don’t care about "who biting who" prolly allowed this to increase but the same thing goes on in Rock, Pop, Country, Electronic, etc

I think a lot of stuff ppl complain about w rap is just a side effect of the lower barrier to entry due to technology. Get a computer/cheap mic/interface and you can record. Post that **** on YouTube/SoundCloud/IG/Twitter and now you a rapper :lol: You don't need expensive studio time, radio play etc to be heard on some level. So now we just hear and see a lot more _'s.

Idk man I feel like a big portion of rap on a micro level has always been _'s running with trends and templates. Like regional rap is just lil area trends. You have an agreed upon template and then everybody just riff and do their own takes off that template. That’s how you could “listen to music and immediately know where somebody was from”, those lil cues from the template + accent etc. Somewhere along the way the ATL template took over and now _'s get made at you sounding like ATL even when you from ATL :lol:

In a way it’s just a lot easier to give _’s **** that you already know they like. Like when everybody was trying on the Migos flow or everybody wanted the same BMF - Lex Luger type beat etc. Artist development dying and casual fans who just like songs and don’t care about "who biting who" prolly allowed this to increase but the same thing goes on in Rock, Pop, Country, Electronic, etc

I think a lot of stuff ppl complain about w rap is just a side effect of the lower barrier to entry due to technology. Get a computer/cheap mic/interface and you can record. Post that **** on YouTube/SoundCloud/IG/Twitter and now you a rapper :lol: You don't need expensive studio time, radio play etc to be heard on some level. So now we just hear and see a lot more _'s.

Str8up! :emoji_100:

Back
Top Bottom