Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by brivera716, Apr 20, 2017.

1. There’s always a particular sound that’s popular on the radio. This isn’t new

americangenius likes this.
  2. Hahahaha

Hahahaha formerly ballerific703

Radio is more one sided than ever now

debso and JRaW’d like this.
  3. I’m not going to pretend to know what the radio sounds like but to me it’s always been about waves until someone disrupted it and then that wave was rode by everyone else.

Like JD had Kriss kross bite das efx. He rode snoops wave with da brat. Xscape rode the TLC wave. He’s gotta chill

wavycrocket likes this.
  4. iamdef

iamdef

But is the radio the main way we consume music anymore? Sure it's an accurate statement but it's also low hanging fruit. With minimal effort you can find a woman artist who has a different sound.

5. Hahahaha

Hahahaha formerly ballerific703

But that’s clearly what he’s talking about. Radio, TV, social media and lounges. He’s not saying every female rapper is about stripping. **** like that needs to be said

6. iamdef

iamdef

If that's the message he's trying to convey, then he needs to be highlighting the women rappers who don't fall within that scope. The same way "that needs to be said" the talented women rappers need the attention and need to be brought up and out into the mainstream.
    Why wouldn't he bring up the women artist who are talented but aren't getting shine?

Let's not try to clean up what JD said and make it more palatable. His words are right there, nobody should have to restate what you say when you are more than able to say it yourself. When Ye say his stupid stuff we don't want to hear anybody make excuses or reword what he said, so let's keep it consistent.

addict4sneakers likes this.
  7. The radio no longer dictates what's hot, some of the most popular music/albums out you'll never hear on stations.

All types of female artists are available, but the people happen to want the stripper raps. Clubs and social media are pumping what's hot, women love this stuff.

wavycrocket likes this.
  8. iamdef

iamdef

When you say "hot" or "most popular" are you talking about what's charting?

Can't say I agree with "the people want the stripper raps". The people are used to the radio and the hosts telling them what's the best song out and that stripper rap is what's being pushed. We aren't used to curating our own music at the current scale. We rely on somebody else to put together the radio show or the streaming sites' playlists. There's thousands of women artists out there but the vast majority of them are basically hidden gems

9. Hottest meaning what's streaming, some songs get 10s of millions of streams on SoundCloud/streaming platforms without ever touching radio.
    I've never heard XXX or Slump God on NYC radio but amongst the youth they were some of the most popular rappers of the decade. Meg and City Girls had huge buzz before being on Top 40 radio.
    Hell even in the last 5-10 years DatPiff has been a better source of discovery for rap than major stations or TV. At this point only old heads still discover music from the radio, dudes barely even own cars anymore.

Right now Dreamville is the top album streaming, and I'm sure the radio isn't playing songs off of it everywhere. Chance was A list in rap popularity without any radio singles before coloring book, Russ is packing stadiums and we never hear his music on the radio.

10. iamdef

iamdef

Okay, yea I agree. Radio these days is basically a list of the songs that "THEY" want you to listen to and is not a reliable tool to measure quality of music at all.
    That's why the whole "He was talking about mainstream" isn't even a decent excuse

11. Yeah, JD was wrong all across the board. He spoke out of ignorance and isn't really in tune with what's out.

12. nawghtyhare

nawghtyhare

i follow the white girl on ig

13. Track 3 x 4 :wow: :wow:

:pimp:

14. I don't know if people just too sensitive now or what but everything he said is true. All these new female rappers that start to get shine are lacking talent. Cardi might actually be the least talented one. Kim, Foxy, Eve was on the radio a lot and they could also rap really good and hold their own with the males in their crew. Good for these thots and IG model rappers, get your bread but their actual talent is last on the list as far as their appeal.

16. JD talking about the stripper rappers, but not the dudes who rap about the same s****?? Ain’t JD on love and hip hop??? Like bruh, you a benefactor of this stuff you’re criticizing :lol: :rofl: :lol:

And I bet MONEY he follows a million strippers or “IG models”. He’s also 45+ years old and he still be in the club taking photos. I’m tired of the hypocrisy. Like bruh, this is the sound that y’all wanted and have promoted for the past 5-7 years. Deal with it.

JD probably ain’t even internet savvy enough to discover other musicians. People in their 40s and 50s gotta stop this self righteous BS. They’re some of them BIGGEST consumers and supporters of that love and hip hop/basketball wives, stripper music, bulls***. People kill me

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 9:53 PM
    iamdef likes this.
  17. debso

debso

he said what he said.
    anybody that listened to hip hop prior to 2003 should feel the same way.

hip hop in general, along with r&b is in shambles. rappers singing 90% of the time and mumbling words...can't even say bars because they don't have any and they aren't witty enough for the content to not be stale. everybody biting everybody.
    female rappers...the underground is legit but mainstream na. I said it in another thread but all megan seems to talk about is her *****, same with nicki minaj, same with city girls, etc. if there is an etc. because the gatekeepers won't allow variety.

jd's age has nothing to do with it. he's a legend and is responsible for a ton of hits and careers. his legacy is certified and instead of ****ing on him ppl should listen to him. if him, dame, irv and a few others were allowed, yes allowed, to do what they do then black music in general would be in a far better place instead of these kids out here mumbling nonsense.

and its not on some north/south stuff either. older ppl in the south are far more coherent with far less education than your typical lil nbe ybj yeet yeet.

on some age **** though these kids have no idea what they're missing. they got robbed of great music. smh in disgust at this game.

goledensilence likes this.
  18. You doing all this talking but cats like JD and them are to blame! They promote this kind of music. Y’all gotta stop getting mad at the youth when their parents ain’t even trying to introduce them to this music you speak off.

The PEOPLE created this monster so hey, y’all deal with it.

19. RIP Screw

RIP Screw

Things aren’t so bad.

iamdef likes this.
  20. debso

debso

na. like I said before, JD been out since whodini was popping and he was popping in the video.
    i'm not gonna sit here and **** on the man. he gave us classics. timeless music.

he rode waves but he created them too.

like I said, he said what he said and I said what I said. I stand by it and I meant every world. all this stripper stuff is tridash. its not even being done right anyway.

I disagree. music should never be looked at as "spoonfed" because a person relies on the radio. the radio stations need to support something called VARIETY, like they used to do.

the onus isn't on the listener. which ones are the professionals protecting the integrity of the genre?

in a perfect world without payola and all that...but with gatekeepers, ppl getting paid off, etc.? na, the game is the way it is on purpose.
    radio, social media, tv all pushing the same artists.

21. RIP Screw

RIP Screw

*****s was rapping about the same toxic subject matter back then too...

22. debso

debso

**** trash period.

any female and any male can mumble over a trap beat and succeed as long as you have the accent to match.
    no kind of quality check, no artist development, no nothing. just push this artist, make a few dollars, cast them aside, NEXT.
    rinse and repeat.

i'm not wrong and neither was JD.

*****s had variety back then too tho. that's the difference.

23. What's the difference between Cardi and Kim?
    Both didn't write their rhymes, both deliver club bangers and verses. Cardi actually has pretty good delivery, and they both talk about the same raunchy **** and expensive clothes.

24. And what we’re trying to tell you is the majority (who I don’t GAF about) are seeking out this stripper, mumbling or whatever type music you want to call it.

I for one, am an old soul. But a lot of these 20s and 30s something seek out that type of music. Megan the Stallion and City Girls are not my flavor. I’ve NEVER pressed play on their music and never will.

But this current young society in America (the majority of them) love that stuff. And sorry but, it will not get any better.

(I don’t know what the music wave is in Europe, Africa, Asia, etc is)

But strictly basing it on an American perspective.
    The hip hop golden age is over. Just going to have to listen to older music and 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s R&B. That ship long sailed

25. a blinkin

a blinkin

Who wrote FreshAzImIs

Joint was hard. :smokin

6pac and $tacy like this.