Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

CA putting out the best Rap and it ain't even close.

YG dresses like ****, it cracks me the **** up. Song and video hard as **** tho

I'll be watching this episode

Last edited:
A few things... you are crazy if you don't believe there are certain artist who appropriate a certain kind of style in order to try & draw more interest, which will lead to more money. Basquiat himself was literally turned down from art galleries for years because dealers didn't think his "Style" could sell or that it wasn't as "interesting" as prominent white artist. It was too "street"

While the Art dealer may not directly influence what an artist makes, they absolutely can influence the market & what is looked at as exclusive or cool in the art world. No different from Chief Keef Organically developing the Drill sound & Jimmy Iovine seeing it & putting a machine around it to take it from the hoods of the Chi to a multi country profitable thing.

Mr. Brainwash is the literal definition of a "Radio Record" pretty much stole designs, used fake endorsements from popular artist, & created hype. Big art dealers came in after & helped to spread the word & boost the price.

Also Considering Nas piece of art isn't singular & is digested differently from a painting he can continue to make money off of the album throughout time as opposed to an artist who sold that one copy for 10K, passed away and now some art dealer who could give a **** about the artist is selling it for 10 million. Different kind of Art same game, the Artist doesn't have full control of the Art. And the GREAT pieces of Art in hiphop music are usually done with emotion, stories, reality & art put first. Obviously they want the money to come, but Nas wasn't making Illmatic sacrificing the art for Money, Jay wasn't making Reasonable Doubt sacrificing the art to chase the money, etc etc The highest regarded pieces of art were usually made with quality being the main focus. and money afterwards.

- Of course there will be trends within any art form. Sure certain street artists appropriate...but how many of them are actually successful at it in that particular field? It's also a free market. No matter how you slice it...the artists still yield the central most influence over their own work. They can choose to be trendy...but it doesn't govern how they move.

- In the sense you're speaking of...how "organic" was Chief Keef? The music and the imagery were simply one city's spin on a sound and aesthetic from artists before them...that were also backed by Jimmy Iovine and the rest of the sharks. They're influencing the influencers by design.

- You're kinda co-signing me with your Basquiat reference. I said Basquiat's motivation wasn't molded by commerce and market trends. You providing an example of him being slept on due to him BEING HIM...and still being able to flourish after grinding (which is a rites of passage in all careers, no?) plays right up to my point doesn't it?

- You've provided me with your thesis about one artist in Mr. Brainwash. Can you name me as many prominent artists...as you can name me musicians that are thriving making template music? They talked about this on ES last year...but the top exec at one of the "Big 3" labels (Mike Caren) is walking around studios with notebooks on how to structure hits. What frequency to tune instruments at, what BPMs to use, etc. They can guarantee hits to further their own ends. That's like insider-trading almost. If you can point out the equivalent of something like that in another form of art...I'd love to hear it.

I am not saying that this music isn't art. I am saying that the industry that was built around it compromises the VERY essence of what art is supposed to be. And that's the music industry in general. But regarding "culture"...I'm simply saying miss me with the pretending to be mad that lil ****** feel comfortable enough to do and say what they want within it...when this is the bed that all the "golden era" ****** help to make.

I listened to like 4 minutes of Yachty on TBC and it was funny hearing him get mad that fans fickle when he's just another interchangeable, fast food music act. Caught it off after that cuz lil man interviews are just awkward.

Hell I thought Budden did “walk on egg shells” when critiquing Em. He didn’t really go in like he should’ve in regards to that album.

Yeah he didn't at all. Dude was just yelling like an idiot. That changes the narrative and makes it look like he was going mad hard when he wasnt. I can't believe them ****** didn't go in on this ***** rapping over that wack *** Joan Jett sample. He needs to leave Rick Rubin behind badly

- Of course there will be trends within any art form. Sure certain street artists appropriate...but how many of them are actually successful at it in that particular field? It's also a free market. No matter how you slice it...the artists still yield the central most influence over their own work. They can choose to be trendy...but it doesn't govern how they move.

- In the sense you're speaking of...how "organic" was Chief Keef? The music and the imagery were simply one city's spin on a sound and aesthetic from artists before them...that were also backed by Jimmy Iovine and the rest of the sharks. They're influencing the influencers by design.

- You're kinda co-signing me with your Basquiat reference. I said Basquiat's motivation wasn't molded by commerce and market trends. You providing an example of him being slept on due to him BEING HIM...and still being able to flourish after grinding (which is a rites of passage in all careers, no?) plays right up to my point doesn't it?

- You've provided me with your thesis about one artist in Mr. Brainwash. Can you name me as many prominent artists...as you can name me musicians that are thriving making template music? They talked about this on ES last year...but the top exec at one of the "Big 3" labels (Mike Caren) is walking around studios with notebooks on how to structure hits. What frequency to tune instruments at, what BPMs to use, etc. They can guarantee hits to further their own ends. That's like insider-trading almost. If you can point out the equivalent of something like that in another form of art...I'd love to hear it.

I am not saying that this music isn't art. I am saying that the industry that was built around it compromises the VERY essence of what art is supposed to be. And that's the music industry in general. But regarding "culture"...I'm simply saying miss me with the pretending to be mad that lil *****s feel comfortable enough to do and say what they want within it...when this is the bed that all the "golden era" *****s help to make.

No matter how you slice it...the artists still yield the central most influence over their own work. They can choose to be trendy...but it doesn't govern how they move.

The same can be said for musicians right now which was Vince point, A lot of Artist are chasing the hot sound in order to make a quick buck. That isn't a REQUIREMENT in music these days & Artist like Joey, Vince & Styles are all a testament to that. You can keep your artistic vision & still be successful, Just know that you won't be "mainstream" really

In the sense you're speaking of...how "organic" was Chief Keef? The music and the imagery were simply one city's spin on a sound and aesthetic from artists before them...that were also backed by Jimmy Iovine and the rest of the sharks. They're influencing the influencers by design.

Chief Keef & the rest of that drill scene were naturally influenced by trap music & their surroundings. It's not like they were experimenting with sounds & Aesthetics to try & "Fit In" with whatever was the hot movement at the time. That was what was brewed up by the City of Chicago & caught fire. The Sharks didn't catch on until late & realized that this was a profitable movement. But Labels didn't control those guys & force them to do drill, they did it & the labels adjusted to them.

I said Basquiat's motivation wasn't molded by commerce and market trends. You providing an example of him being slept on due to him BEING HIM...and still being able to flourish after grinding (which is a rites of passage in all careers, no?) plays right up to my point doesn't it?

My point in referencing Basquiat was to prove that there were way less talented artist at the time who were getting placements over him or getting shine over him because the art dealers (gatekeepers/record execs of this scenario) preferred a certain kind of art. Their decision to not champion that style kept him away from blowing up, the same way an Atlantic is looking at a Lupe & saying we gonna release you.... because right now we Focused on Mumble rap. So Yes you can be You but ultimately there's still a certain realm of influencers who must stamp you in that world for you to really exceed. For Basquiat that was Warhol, it's not like he wasn't insanely talented before the cosign, but until Warhol gave that green light Dude wasn't getting his props.

If you can point out the equivalent of something like that in another form of art...I'd love to hear it.

I'm Not knowledgeable enough in Art to know that there's an exact formula that's used to sell art, however i wouldn't doubt it. As far as another Art Form tho we could easily point to Film & the movies that are greenlit & given budgets. Same Subjects, same Actors, Same styles etc etc. If we are talking about The most successful films there's a reason Hollywood keeps pumping out remake after Remake rather than investing big in indie's or foreign film concepts.

But regarding "culture"...I'm simply saying miss me with the pretending to be mad that lil *****s feel comfortable enough to do and say what they want within it...when this is the bed that all the "golden era" *****s help to make

This is where again we are going to agree to disagree, While Golden Era rappers did help to usher in the materialistic Era of rap. They still didn't completely disregard the Art Form in chase of Money. Biggie, Pac, Jay, Snoop, Dre, Kiss, Outkast, Dre, Face, E-40, Too Short & So on & So forth weren't just throwing projects out & disregarding the artistic portion of the music.

There were artist who came out during that era who Just tried to do whatever was needed to make a hit & get money, those aren't "Golden Era Guys" & they are & never were mentioned with the Golden Era. As Opposed to now It's surely more accepted for the TOP Rappers to chase the same sounds & Do & say whatever. Somewhere in the past few years It became okay for rappers to not have respect for what came before or not study the history. That DID NOT happen in the golden era.

This was super dope, but Vince Staples is annoying as hell. He knows what he’s talking about, but son be talking over OGs.:lol:

I like Vince and he seems like a very smart dude, but son be going a mile a minute.

EDIT:

RE: Torey:

How you tell someone to handle bings like a man when he comes up to you when he sees you to speak about the issue y’all have.

Walls closing in on Torey.:lol:

Vince Staples rambles alot but during his streams of consciousness he dropped a few gems.

When he spoke on Art and Commerce and how Hip-Hop factors into that...I had to salute.

The game was bought and sold a LONG time ago...and alot of your favorite rappers/moguls were responsible for it...no matter how dope their music might have been. That's why I can only laugh when *****s start talking about "gatekeepers" and "preserving culture".

The idealized "culture" of Hip Hop that people want to believe in doesn't actually exist. Why doesn't Waka Flocka go ban the jews that forced him to go sit at another table cause he wasn't an earner for them anymore?

To piggy back off another thing he said...remove all labels and genres away and what you have is a spirit of BLACK music that influences the world and it changes it's face every few generations. At this point...i'm waiting for the next evolution of what that is and hopefully the commercial structure it operates in doesn't fall into white people's... the wrong hands.
All of this. Was watching it last night and got annoyed with Vince constantly interrupting.

Was kinda strange that video leaked all of a sudden
I thought it was strange, but mans did address it on his album from a mutual standpoint. He didn/t violate and say Travis ain't want no smoke etc. He simply stated that they were gonna fight, but worked it out. That southside dude throwing himself on the front lines for everything acting like he super tough.

Bow wow video look like a set up and whoever was recording knew what was up .... loooks like dude just pushed him down though ..... no biggie , not like he got knocked out lol

Southside wack as **** for getting involved, just mind your business.

Bow Wow **** look fake. I'm not rollin

How you sneak my mans Shad Moss like that. :smh:
Corny as hell that you ready to sneak somebody in another mans name. Like let Future get at him if he wants to.

Back
Top Bottom