Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

People hate Wale, but support all these other bird/emotional men that are RAMPANT in our current society. There are billions of Wale's out here currently. I'm a fan of Wale. People only dislike him because he's honest. Dude has been versatile his whole career. Certain individuals dislike him because it's an about face, of their own personal shortcomings and insecurities. Wale knows himself.

If you're mad at Wale, it ain't because of the music. It's because he calls out the sissified modern male, in today's society.

How though. He was saying he woulda had to see Ak off camera a few years ago but when meek told him to jump off a bridge he was copping pleas :lol: meek still ain't embraced wale...same with Cole...sound like he yearned for acceptance to me

Last edited:
Being from the area I'm still surprised Wale is so sensitive. Like I said before it's been rappers past and present thats better than Wale that never got maintream love. It's good that Wale wants shoot for the highest but at some point you gotta honest with yourself. His music ain't that good. He still has a good fan base and he's been very successful. He just ain't a good enough rapper like Kendrick or Cole and he don't play the politics like somebody like Drake.

Akademiks is the smartest person up there. He fully understands who he is, and the perception of who he is....so those "you're not a cool kid" insults don't get to him. He gets to be objective and give an in your face fan perspective, with no personal ties....

I don't know about that. :lol: Every thought he has or everything that comes outta his mouth is based on twitter or IG. He's a follower.

Last edited:
How though. He was saying he woulda had to see Ak off camera a few years ago but when meek told him to jump off a bridge he was copping pleas :lol: meek still ain't embraced wale...same with Cole...sound like he yearned for acceptance to me

And that's why I said he's a modern man, that knows himself. If he needs to seek acceptance or validation, that's a personal problem. And lately in our current society, more and more MEN seem to suffer this. To me personally, that's feminine and lame but, I don't know what the next man goes through. Wale isn't lying to himself, seems like he's attacking it head-on. Strictly talking about music, Wale has been one of the best mainstream, and underground artist of his generation.

Akademiks is the smartest person up there. He fully understands who he is, and the perception of who he is....so those "you're not a cool kid" insults don't get to him. He gets to be objective and give an in your face fan perspective, with no personal ties....and that's hard for rappers to hear that, since they mostly interact with fans that are starstruck. Wale always gets mad defensive.

Wale still has a tough time looking outside himself, and thinking he's doper than he is. He can't connect at the highest level for a majority of reasons (some his doing, some just industry bs)...and it frustrates him.

Everything J Cole said about him in False Prophets was 1000 percent truth. And was far from a "diss".

Truthfully, Wale is a huge success. The fact that dude has multiple gold albums, multiple top 40 platinum singles, features from damn near every major artist, an album with Jerry ***** Seinfeld is crazy to me
laugh.gif
. I don't even think he could've predicted this level of success back in 2007.
Boom Boom Boom.

This ***** wale really started breaking down his raps for Ak. At that point I knew he didn't get it.

Just because you can make intricate tight raps don't mean you make good, pop rap music. The biggest fallacy with Wale is that he doesn't it. He's not even close to sean, Kendrick, or Drake when it comes to making great pop records but he actually thinks he should be in their class because he 'raps well.'

And Wale's name is bigger than his music. That's why he can still tour and sell 12k first week pure sales, 22k overall. Everyone in the culture knows wale, but no one cares about him musically.

Didn't like this episode too much.

People hate Wale, but support all these other bird/emotional men that are RAMPANT in our current society. There are billions of Wale's out here currently. I'm a fan of Wale. People only dislike him because he's honest. Dude has been versatile his whole career. Certain individuals dislike him because it's an about face, of their own personal shortcomings and insecurities. Wale knows himself.

If you're mad at Wale, it ain't because of the music. It's because he calls out the sissified modern male, in today's society.

Thread wouldn't be legit without Grimey's gross over-generalization, and armchair psychology :lol:.

It ain't that deep. Wale is cool, has a strong fan base and is a good rapper. He just wants to be viewed in the elite tier that his peers he came into the game are looked at.

Dude had a stretch (2011-2015) where he was arguably a 2nd tier rapper that moved major units, got airplay and got critical acclaim. He's just not as dope as a mucisician as he thinks he is. He's good though, and can rap.

Fact is....Wale isn't as gifted lyrically as Kendrick. Isn't as marketable or has the machine of Drake, and Doesn't make better music than J Cole. That's it.

Big Sean swooped in and took Wale's "spot" the past 2 years.

We must have watched different interviews. He doesn't seem in touch with reality, he didn't attack anything head on. He didn't call out any sissified modern male because he is that sissified modern male. He's gotta face some of this and be honest about it. He could have used this platform to speak the truth and appear humble but he did the complete opposite.

I never understood how Big Sean is so successful these days but Wale no longer is.

They both have the same lyrical skill level. Same level of quality music(not kendrick level but above Joey Bad***** level). Both have a swagger to them. They're essentially the same artist.

But Wale undoubtedly flopped with that last album.

Last edited:
I never understood how Big Sean is so successful these days but Wale no longer is.

They both have the same lyrical skill level. Same level of quality music(not kendrick level but above Joey Bad***** level). Both have a swagger to them. They're essentially the same artist.
Because this **** is about pop rap at the end of the day. Cole, Kendrick, Drake, Sean, all these guys are in the field of pop rap.

And on that level, no Wale's quality of music isn't as great as Big Sean's, especially when it comes to pop rap.

He's not nearly as entertaining, he doesn't have nearly the star power, and the raps just aren't as good. There's more to rapping than just being able to make overly written meaphors and concepts.

It would probably be a better response because the record would be better if Drake did it. That's why dudes can cut demos for artists, and artists can recite the exact same demo, but it sounds better when they do it.

And I forgot son showing off his shoes!!!! Look at these, blah blah blah. You serious my guy?!?! Smh, he dropped the ball with this one.

Big Sean has better production and more meaningful connections than Wale at this point. He's also much more safe, likeable and plays it safe.

The craftiest thing Big Sean did these past 3 years is date a succession of Pop Stars....and use that attention from those relationships to raise his profile....while delivering catchy music.

Sean is not in Wale's class as a technical rapper though.....but he makes better pop rap records currently.

That's the thing man

People like Meek and Wale represent how guys and men really are.

But you have dudes who act emotional saying Wale or Meek are corny or lame. But everyone thinks they're 50 Cent, most aren't as introspective to realize the flaws in themselves.

It would probably be a better response because the record would be better if Drake did it. That's why dudes can cut demos for artists, and artists can recite the exact same demo, but it sounds better when they do it.
This is where I'll disagree.

It would be a more successful record simply because Drake did it. And that's really the bottom line. 

Wale is better than Drake, and on par with Kendrick and J. Cole. Those three have the same subject matter. People dislike Wale because he's outspoken. Someone above said Wale thinks he's greater than he is :rofl: :rofl: Dude IS a great musician. I mean, I can't vibe to Drakes music because I think dude is corny as can be. But I love Wale, J.Cole, and Kendrick. I buy all their music. I personally hate when Wale chases that pop sound. Lyrically, dude can spit with the best of them. I don't know why he tries to branch out. Especially in today's musical landscape. Again, those are his own personal demons.

Drake is for cornball dudes.

This is where I'll disagree.

It would be a more successful record simply because Drake did it. And that's really the bottom line. 
Wale doesn't sound as appealing on records as Drake does, and that matters. That's why you can't just say "If rapper x did the same thing as rapper y" example.

Wale doesn't sound as appealing on records as Drake does, and that matters. That's why you can't just say "If rapper x did the same thing as rapper y" example.
We can say "if rapper x did the same thing as rapper y"...because we have multiple examples of Drake being "rapper x"  in this scenario and it's worked. 

[

Dig Big Sean flop?

Did anyone care about his numbers?

I think Sean doesn't reveal enough about himself for people to dislike him. In our reality world, it seems like people want to know enough about you to dislike you.

Wale sounds way more authentic on My Love than Drake does doing that sound. Drake is a pop act now, anything he does his stans will eat it up. Drake jumps on a wave and it's "OMG Drake is goat". :lol:

[
Dig Big Sean flop?

Did anyone care about his numbers?

I think Sean doesn't reveal enough about himself for people to dislike him. In our reality world, it seems like people want to know enough about you to dislike you.
We gotta chill with attributing wale's personality to why his record flopped.

People aren't 'not' buying wale records because they dislike him.

And I forgot son showing off his shoes!!!! Look at these, blah blah blah. You serious my guy?!?! Smh, he dropped the ball with this one.

Bruh, he was on there rambling through the whole show. Joe was riding him the whole hour too.

Numbers don't matter, but he went on and on about his sold out shows. Who cares about the women you get and that you played college football? Then he finishes the episode showing Joe all the DMs and texts he getting from rappers. Corny.

Wale sounds way more authentic on My Love than Drake does doing that sound. Drake is a pop act now, anything he does his stans will eat it up. Drake jumps on a wave and it's "OMG Drake is goat".
laugh.gif
I mean over half of More Life was rap, so why is he a pop act? Because he's successful in that arena? Or because he has a pop appeal?

Srs question.

And I totally understand Wale's perspective.

He goes and makes a "jazzy", "poetic", unapologetically black album....and doesn't get the response or acclaim that Kendrick does for TPAB.

He's African....and been making afrobeat songs with Wizkid and Davido etc for years.....and Drake come along and makes "one dance"....and that changes the landscape and sound for pop music and everyone now enjoys Afrobeat :lol:.

Problem is, they did it better....and the perception of them is naturally going to reward them for it. He definitely thinks he makes better music than he actually does. There's the disconnect.

Back
Top Bottom