Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Been listening to a lot of old Miami Bass inspired ATL **** lately, crazy to think about how much that spilled in and influenced the culture, Freaknik etc

My boy Kilo a legend, _'s was not ready for this outside of ATL, MIA etc especially Pre - Outkast :lol:

Obvious ATL/Bass inspired classic :pimp:

and a bonus deep cut from the City Boys :lol:

This **** popped up on me recently and I posted in another thread.

Miami Bass and that whole (regional, independent) era of music doesn't quite get the recognition it deserves IMO. Especially Luke, who should be talked about like Eazy, Master P, J. Prince etc.

As your OG, I remember playing this for you many years ago.

giphy.gif

Salute to my “og” 31 year old grandpa *** ***** :lol:

Why can’t he say that? He’s not wrong and I’m sure he’s aware of Rapsody and any other real rapping broad. When it comes to mainstream and the radio, we only hearing one type of sound from women. Offbeat stripper music.

There’s always a particular sound that’s popular on the radio. This isn’t new

Radio is more one sided than ever now

I’m not going to pretend to know what the radio sounds like but to me it’s always been about waves until someone disrupted it and then that wave was rode by everyone else.

Like JD had Kriss kross bite das efx. He rode snoops wave with da brat. Xscape rode the TLC wave. He’s gotta chill

Why can’t he say that? He’s not wrong and I’m sure he’s aware of Rapsody and any other real rapping broad. When it comes to mainstream and the radio, we only hearing one type of sound from women. Offbeat stripper music.

But is the radio the main way we consume music anymore? Sure it's an accurate statement but it's also low hanging fruit. With minimal effort you can find a woman artist who has a different sound.

But that’s clearly what he’s talking about. Radio, TV, social media and lounges. He’s not saying every female rapper is about stripping. **** like that needs to be said

If that's the message he's trying to convey, then he needs to be highlighting the women rappers who don't fall within that scope. The same way "that needs to be said" the talented women rappers need the attention and need to be brought up and out into the mainstream.
Why wouldn't he bring up the women artist who are talented but aren't getting shine?

Let's not try to clean up what JD said and make it more palatable. His words are right there, nobody should have to restate what you say when you are more than able to say it yourself. When Ye say his stupid stuff we don't want to hear anybody make excuses or reword what he said, so let's keep it consistent.

But is the radio the main way we consume music anymore? Sure it's an accurate statement but it's also low hanging fruit. With minimal effort you can find a woman artist who has a different sound.
The radio no longer dictates what's hot, some of the most popular music/albums out you'll never hear on stations.

All types of female artists are available, but the people happen to want the stripper raps. Clubs and social media are pumping what's hot, women love this stuff.

The radio no longer dictates what's hot, some of the most popular music/albums out you'll never hear on stations.

All types of female artists are available, but the people happen to want the stripper raps. Clubs and social media are pumping what's hot, women love this stuff.

When you say "hot" or "most popular" are you talking about what's charting?

Can't say I agree with "the people want the stripper raps". The people are used to the radio and the hosts telling them what's the best song out and that stripper rap is what's being pushed. We aren't used to curating our own music at the current scale. We rely on somebody else to put together the radio show or the streaming sites' playlists. There's thousands of women artists out there but the vast majority of them are basically hidden gems

When you say "hot" or "most popular" are you talking about what's charting?

Can't say I agree with "the people want the stripper raps". The people are used to the radio and the hosts telling them what's the best song out and that stripper rap is what's being pushed. We aren't used to curating our own music at the current scale. We rely on somebody else to put together the radio show or the streaming sites' playlists. There's thousands of women artists out there but the vast majority of them are basically hidden gems
Hottest meaning what's streaming, some songs get 10s of millions of streams on SoundCloud/streaming platforms without ever touching radio.
I've never heard XXX or Slump God on NYC radio but amongst the youth they were some of the most popular rappers of the decade. Meg and City Girls had huge buzz before being on Top 40 radio.
Hell even in the last 5-10 years DatPiff has been a better source of discovery for rap than major stations or TV. At this point only old heads still discover music from the radio, dudes barely even own cars anymore.

Right now Dreamville is the top album streaming, and I'm sure the radio isn't playing songs off of it everywhere. Chance was A list in rap popularity without any radio singles before coloring book, Russ is packing stadiums and we never hear his music on the radio.

Hottest meaning what's streaming, some songs get 10s of millions of streams on SoundCloud/streaming platforms without ever touching radio.
I've never heard XXX or Slump God on NYC radio but amongst the youth they were some of the most popular rappers of the decade. Meg and City Girls had huge buzz before being on Top 40 radio.
Hell even in the last 5-10 years DatPiff has been a better source of discovery for rap than major stations or TV. At this point only old heads still discover music from the radio, dudes barely even own cars anymore.

Right now Dreamville is the top album streaming, and I'm sure the radio isn't playing songs off of it everywhere. Chance was A list in rap popularity without any radio singles before coloring book, Russ is packing stadiums and we never hear his music on the radio.

Okay, yea I agree. Radio these days is basically a list of the songs that "THEY" want you to listen to and is not a reliable tool to measure quality of music at all.
That's why the whole "He was talking about mainstream" isn't even a decent excuse

Okay, yea I agree. Radio these days is basically a list of the songs that "THEY" want you to listen to and is not a reliable tool to measure quality of music at all.
That's why the whole "He was talking about mainstream" isn't even a decent excuse
Yeah, JD was wrong all across the board. He spoke out of ignorance and isn't really in tune with what's out.

Back
Top Bottom