Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Part of it???? ALL are at fault. Stop blaming these labels and point to the real issue. It’s the FANS not caring. Period.

A lot of people my age (31) or younger weren’t even allowed to listen to hip hop or vulgarity. Good thing my moms was young, and my family loves music. My uncle was a DJ. Grandmother played straight temptations, Teddy Pendergast, Bootsy Collins, James Brown. The supremes, Earth Wind and Fire, bar-Kay’s, Isaac Hayes. Etc

People don’t have soul like that. And it shows. But, what are you to do?
the fans don't care but it started (IMO) in 03 when get low was on the radio and 106 and park for like 234234234234 weeks. labels took notice and I feel like over time they keep pushing the same types of artists trying to chase a quick buck.
ppl like myself and others that care about music saw what the suburbs were doing with napster and we started using winmx and kazaa, which later turned to torrents, but anyway we started illegally downloading a ton of music and didn't support the artists we loved...and here we are.

that's why I won't bootleg a Griselda or Da Cloth tape. I purchase everything because I have to practice what i'm preaching. if I rock with it i'm buying it. i'm supporting.
these labels and radio stations see these artists getting real sales and the game may slowly change. artists like benny are getting big looks that a lot of artists making the type of music he makes don't get. its connections and all that with the artist but the fans have to do their part too.

I def grew up on cleaning to al green, marvin gaye, etc. and also celia cruz, tito Puente, Oscar de leon, etc. but also grew up in the era from new jack swing-dipset.
I had a variety. we were lucky enough or blessed enough to see biggie, pac, wu tang, etc. and remember where we were when we first heard them. we have passion.

these kids out here don't have anything like what we had as far as cartoons and music. its up to us to help them cultivate passion and care about stuff and who knows we might influence the next dope rapper or singer.

fwiw no disrespect to ying yang twins tho.
and its not a north/south thing either. the quality we got with hypnotize minds, no limit, cash money, dungeon family, etc. is like night and day compared to what we get now.

RIP Bankroll

it hurt my heart to find out this man was killed. he was next. he was what i'm talking about with quality, passion about his music, etc. he had it.

When so much music is so easily accessible, you should have to do research.

Not everyone is tryna hear those old beats that don’t really knock anything. Like I said before, subject matter has always been toxic no matter how you slice it. You can say it with a different flow but at the end of the day, they were still glorifying drug use back then
na, not really.
most artists were not glorifying hardcore drug use. a few were but most? it being a common thing on the radio? na.
not that dealing is much better tbh but artists cared enough about their craft to have better and wittier bars which made the songs dope.

artists nowadays for the most part don't care enough about their craft to understand bar structure, punchlines, etc. i'm putting more energy into this convo then they do in what they write and you can tell.

as far as the production, the production was better back then. that's subjective but I feel how I feel.

pick the hardest track from 2019 and I bet I can find a track from 79-02 that's harder.

ppl made fun of juiceman but rap nowadays is basically like that.

RIP Bankroll

65FB04CF-3B5E-47E1-B048-7376E129F8E3.png

I miss this dude man

RIP Bankroll

artists nowadays for the most part don't care enough about their craft to understand bar structure, punchlines, etc. i'm putting more energy into this convo then they do in what they write and you can tell.

I freestyle about dumb **** with no real structure or anything like that and it sounds better than most of the **** I hear when I play the radio or browse YouTube :lol:

What's the difference between Cardi and Kim?
Both didn't write their rhymes, both deliver club bangers and verses. Cardi actually has pretty good delivery, and they both talk about the same raunchy **** and expensive clothes.

The difference is one had the skill of rapping and the other we've been watching try to figure it out while still struggling with her flow. If you heard Lil Kim on Players Anthem, Quiet Storm and her verse on Biggie and don't see the difference I don't know what to tell you. :lol:

And ya'll still using that old

"the radio don't dictate..."

"There's more female rappers..."

Whether it's social media, clubs, the streets whatever you wanna say dictates what's hot the fact is females want to hear sassy thot raps. A Rapsody or a Che Noir ain't gonna get popular w/o a female audience. Until females want to hear a balance again thot rap is gonna dominate female hip hop.

the solution is when you have kids, play quality music. go back to the essence. teach them about what came before hip hop. where the samples came from. transition to hip hop from the 80s-90s. help them develop an appreciation for music.
the problem is we are talking about rappers that don't care and labels, radio stations, etc. that don't care about music.

ppl are growing up in an era where nobody cares and it shows. WE have to take it back. no one will do it for us.
my cousin was so disappointed when his 12 year old daughter (a few years back) wasn't into biggie and told him to turn that old stuff off.

my son (1) nods his head and tries to beat on the wall, tables, etc. anytime boom bap comes on...and parliament, new jack swing, etc.
for a reason.

part of it IS our fault from the illegal downloading. we gotta take it back or watch it continue to go down in flames.

I always say the people that REALLY love and appreciate Hip Hop also love and appreciate where the music came from. Soul R&B and Funk. When I see people that don't appreciate that **** I look at them funny. That's where Hip Hop was birthed from. That's a easy way to expose culture vultures, folks that don't know where any of these samples came from.

The difference is one had the skill of rapping and the other we've been watching try to figure it out while still struggling with her flow. If you heard Lil Kim on Players Anthem, Quiet Storm and her verse on Biggie and don't see the difference I don't know what to tell you. :lol:

And ya'll still using that old

"the radio don't dictate..."

"There's more female rappers..."

Whether it's social media, clubs, the streets whatever you wanna say dictates what's hot the fact is females want to hear sassy thot raps. A Rapsody or a Che Noir ain't gonna get popular w/o a female audience. Until females want to hear a balance again thot rap is gonna dominate female hip hop.
What skill of rapping? The fact she used Biggie's flow?
I love Quiet Storm, but it's no different than using Offset's flow on Bartier Cardi, or her on Drip. Cardi has great delivery. Only difference is that Kim's stuff was penned by the greatest rapper of all time, but honestly there's not much of a difference between the actual artists. Same raunchy vids and imagery, content, etc. A&R's ran back the same damn formula.

Ok, aka you can't address any of the other points. Got it.

For the record, she smoked everyone with her verse on Motorsport including Nicki off delivery alone.

I already addressed it. We just disagree. I ain't bout to go keep going back and forth with a _ that thinks Cardi B has a great delivery. :lol: So yeah you won.

No difference in skill between these girls

All the same. :lol:

There is more variety and music available than any point in history. All of it is easily discoverable to anyone, in fact Tidal and Spotify automatically suggest songs that are similar and start playing it. I listen to Cole, and Tidal took me to JID, then took me to West Coast Boogie, then KRIT. All of these artists I would never hear through the radio or "gatekeepers". People are just playing what they want.

I disagree, because most people don't dig for music. They listen to what's played by peers or what's popular and are in their own bubble.

Look how people up here how are probably more knowledgeable and aware than the average person are still being put on to music. People are still getting in to Griselda.

also the 90's was far more diverse, because being similar was shunned. If you were number two you had to prove yourself and earn it. Fab who never even really sounded like Mase to me got that. Now compare that to how many people sound alike now. You weren't getting record deals if you were like someone else. You've heard the stories of rappers being turned down, because they sounded like _____?

I already addressed it. We just disagree. I ain't bout to go keep going back and forth with a _ that thinks Cardi B has a great delivery. :lol: So yeah you won.

No difference in skill between these girls

All the same. :lol:

hardcore still bangs
gotta bump it low when im in the car
on certain songs
but still bangs

Ok, aka you can't address any of the other points. Got it.

For the record, she smoked everyone with her verse on Motorsport including Nicki off delivery alone.
This is facts, she had the most memorable and stand out verse. I agree wit u on this debate tho, Kim was no different, except BIG wrote her raps and gave her the flow and cardi has a team. These *****es sell us sex they the look and rhymes that are penned by others.

I disagree, because most people don't dig for music. They listen to what's played by peers or what's popular and are in their own bubble.

Look how people up here how are probably more knowledgeable and aware than the average person are still being put on to music. People are still getting in to Griselda.

also the 90's was far more diverse, because being similar was shunned. If you were number two you had to prove yourself and earn it. Fab who never even really sounded like Mase to me got that. Now compare that to how many people sound alike now. You weren't getting record deals if you were like someone else. You've heard the stories of rappers being turned down, because they sounded like _____?

I think you're proving my point in a sense. The fact that off of a forum post I can immediately stream Griselda's catalog and check out their music for free allows me to discover artists that I would have to pay $14 each to digest. People will always play what's popular, but now we have more opinions on the table than 2 or 3 radio stations DJs. I've discovered music from someone playing it on IG or in the background on YouTube. You might get put on to a song by a curator that you follow on Twitter, or a podcast. So many artists get discovered on SoundCloud everyday that radio completely avoided. Even a prolific artist like the Weeknd put out multiple projects before mainstream radio and millions of people checked it out via a blog post.

There are far more avenues to find artists.

Back
Top Bottom