Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

I think you're proving my point in a sense. The fact that off of a forum post I can immediately stream Griselda's catalog and check out their music for free allows me to discover artists that I would have to pay $14 each to digest. People will always play what's popular, but now we have more opinions on the table than 2 or 3 radio stations DJs. I've discovered music from someone playing it on IG or in the background on YouTube. You might get put on to a song by a curator that you follow on Twitter, or a podcast. So many artists get discovered on SoundCloud everyday that radio completely avoided. Even a prolific artist like the Weeknd put out multiple projects before mainstream radio and millions of people checked it out via a blog post.

There are far more avenues to find artists.

No, I'm not proving your point

and already answered what you said.

What's the percentage of people who come in the music section versus on NT? I'd say it's easily less than 10%, because it's mostly the same ones interacting with each other. We're the ones more likely to be in to new music.

You have people who are still finally listening to Griselda in this section. They've been with Shady for two years. So that's four or five years after they've become pretty popular on the underground scene.

And artist starting small before gaining popularity is nothing new and distinct for just today. Music has always been like that. You think The Beatles just popped up performing in front of 20,000 people? The only difference is how music is consumed.

Last edited:
90’s was waaaaaay more diverse musically. New beats and styles were dropping all the time. Even the way the sound changed from the early to late 90’s. There are WAY MORE ARTISTS now but 90’s had diversity on lock.

Pre-06 in general was full of that.

Cardi is ALL DELIVERY. Literally nothing else

Pretty much. Despite the fact that she's very rehearsed in her rhymes and has a ton of handlers, she delivers her rhymes with 1000% confidence and you can't take that away from her. I thought her album was very well put together around that time. This new single though (Press?)....wow...it is awful.

My N, she off beat and mispronouncing words. She sounds like she could be deaf.

Has nothing to do with her conviction or confidence in what she's saying. That broad believes everything that comes out her mouth and that's why these thots FEEL IT. When she raps she literally got these **** in a trance

Why Glock bussing dolph windows out on ig tho :smh: what type of games these ****** be playing

Has nothing to do with her conviction or confidence in what she's saying. That broad believes everything that comes out her mouth and that's why these thots FEEL IT. When she raps she literally got these **** in a trance

I don't think it has anything to do with her confidence or conviction, it's because of her online persona and honesty.

She built a brand before she ever picked up a microphone.

I don't think it has anything to do with her confidence or conviction, it's because of her online persona and honesty.

She built a brand before she ever picked up a microphone.
Dudes are confusing having a good rapping delivery with her persona. Let some random chick spit those exact bars with the same struggle flow she has nobody would care. Cardi has a entire team helping her get through verses cuz her and her label know rapping ain't that much of a talent for her. Her accent is super heavy and how she says certain words it's not a smoove flow to it. Listen to one of Megan's freestyles then listen to a Cardi song where she got people coaching her and she's able to punch in and out. Her flow is terrible compared to other females.

Shouldn't have to go to certain lengths to discredit someone, especially someone who lacks in 9/10 areas when it comes to rapping.

Shorty delivery is fire, online persona/brand or whatever you want to use as the "reason" has nothing to do with it.

Joseline Hernandez had a huge online persona BEFORE Cardi and her delivery ****ing sucks. Straight garbage rapper that never popped at all

Y'all can say whatever y'all want about Cardi but her delivery is one of the best in the game right now.

We can give Offset and her handlers a bunch of credit that's fine because his delivery is top notch as well.

Shouldn't have to go to certain lengths to discredit someone, especially someone who lacks in 9/10 areas when it comes to rapping.

Shorty delivery is fire, online persona/brand or whatever you want to use as the "reason" has nothing to do with it.

Joseline Hernandez had a huge online persona BEFORE Cardi and her delivery ****ing sucks. Straight garbage rapper that never popped at all

Y'all can say whatever y'all want about Cardi but her delivery is one of the best in the game right now.

We can give Offset and her handlers a bunch of credit that's fine because his delivery is top notch as well.

This is a hell of a reach.

Joseline Hernandez? Stevie J's chick? What online persona did she have? She was a character on TV. Who popped off on L&HH? Cardi B was so big from instagram, so they got her L&HH.

I was seeing chicks reposting Cardi B's vids when she was still in Sue's. I never saw chicks reposting Joseline.

Also a lot of success in rap music is about timing.

Her delivery isn't fire and isn't much different than a lot of other female rappers.

Who the hell says Cardi B has the best flow?

Last edited:

Nia Lee can rap 10x better than Cardi. Whether it's bars, flow or delivery and she never popped because she don't come with the silly over the top rachet persona Cardi has. Females ain't listening to Cardi for flow and delivery it's her persona.

Yep, aside from that it's all about the writers really. Which of course I would argue BIG is as good as it gets.

It's funny seeing dudes give so much credit to writers because when it comes to a certain rapper people say different. :lol: Lets remember that.

No, I'm not proving your point

and already answered what you said.

What's the percentage of people who come in the music section versus on NT? I'd say it's easily less than 10%, because it's mostly the same ones interacting with each other. We're the ones more likely to be in to new music.

You have people who are still finally listening to Griselda in this section. They've been with Shady for two years. So that's four or five years after they've become pretty popular on the underground scene.

And artist starting small before gaining popularity is nothing new and distinct for just today. Music has always been like that. You think The Beatles just popped up performing in front of 20,000 people? The only difference is how music is consumed.
What I'm saying is in the past there wouldn't even be a forum.

What I'm saying is Griselda still isn't on the radio, yet they have a following because people in here and Twitter and IG can directly put you on and post links to their songs and YouTube videos.

What I'm saying is that there's no way a Canadian could have worldwide reach with millions of fans without radio play in the past.

In the past, aside from word of mouth which is even more powerful today with social media, if radio or MTV/BET wasn't playing songs you didn't know about it. Period. Those are extremely limited avenues of discovery compared to now. There's zero way you can argue against that. The way music is consumed AND discovered has changed completely.

Cardi is ALL DELIVERY. Literally nothing else

Tonality and the way something is said has always been the heart of communication. People act on emotion. So Cardi fans feel her confidence. Casuals are easily swayed by this. I can respect it but I guess we are in the minority when we look for more than a “delivery”

297.png

Although he wrong on the account of No Name Gypsy and Tierra Whack existing...I even fw Omaretta lil fine *** that be on Twitter...

I don't like how everyone coming at him because he honestly answered a question.

I really only know of Noname bc of Chance and Tierra Whack bc I be on sites like these, KTT, following certain IG accounts...there is no 106 and Park or major music platform to put a Meg next to a Rico next to a Whack next to a City Girls next to a NoNameGypsy and if you go off what probably makes most peoples YT homepage or radar via social media or the clubs...there is a very common factor/vibe/aesthetic you see among City Girls, Cardi, Meg, Saweetie, Kashdoll (even though she can really spit, Meg too) where 1. a regular ***** probably not even trying to listen to a ***** tell them he gotta trick and **** to fw them :lol: or songs about ***** popping and **** 2. it's no diversity on the mainstream level...however he could have nipped all this controversy in the bud in how he answered that question...by acknowledging it's pretty much the same **** with the males in rap right now all making diet Lil Baby/Keed/Gunna/Gotit trench/trap/kingpin music.

You can always find outliers but in terms of what's being put in front of (or propelled by) a certain audience...both the males and females are trying to be their own versions of the same exact character.

jd's age has nothing to do with it. he's a legend and is responsible for a ton of hits and careers. his legacy is certified and instead of ****ing on him ppl should listen to him. if him, dame, irv and a few others were allowed, yes allowed, to do what they do then black music in general would be in a far better place instead of these kids out here mumbling nonsense.

and its not on some north/south stuff either. older ppl in the south are far more coherent with far less education than your typical lil nbe ybj yeet yeet.

on some age **** though these kids have no idea what they're missing. they got robbed of great music. smh in disgust at this game.

im under 25 and i completely agree with that dame irv jd point

we had that to an extent with Yams

and now it's just ****** tryna be buddy buddy white dudes with connections who started ****ing with rap older than age 15-16

my boys going into the a&r blog artist seeking **** and everyone literally is the same

but i guess thats what makes special artists special they break the mold after so many years of the same ****

*****s was rapping about the same toxic subject matter back then too...

Do people really think this is the problem and not HOW people do it?

The fact that ****** was working with the same subject matter 1990-2013 as they were 2015/16-now is even more of a testament to how lazy and uncreative ****** have gotten...

it's not what u say it's how u say it....and thats why theres so many rappers because literally anyone can hear enough lingo in passing or on social media and go "i **** on yo ***** i break down the brick" etc. as opposed to really coming up with some **** to say or a more creative way to say ****

The concept that the greats (Hov, Wayne, Ye, etc.) dumbed down when they became most successful doesn't help this idea either.

Wayne's entire run from 04-09 is a testament to it's not what you say it's how you say it and when he "fell off" its because he started phoning that **** in even though he's always talked about the same things.

Back
Top Bottom