Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

As crazy as it sounds, nobody else from OVO has really made waves in the last couple years except Baka and Drizzy.

Drake clearly has a good eye for talent based on his features for up and coming acts but he doesn't seem to be able to foster that into his label. It's weird.

Even weirder when you consider how he was put on by the biggest rap artist in the world during his come up. Wayne literally gave him and nicki the blueprint on how to push a new artist.

That was in 2007/2008/2009 though. We live in an entirely different marketing era. Meagan the stallion is constantly pushed in our faces and her album flopped. Also, Drake isn’t respected in the streets like a Gucci or TI who are great A&R’s. Drake will probably have to align himself with a similar artist like him, or big sean type rapper. The steets will never be behind Drake if he had an artist like Lil Baby or No Cap. He needs non-threatening type of dude to back.

And after the SZA fiasco, a lot of his “fans” are starting to realize how corny and desperate he is.

That was in 2007/2008/2009 though. We live in an entirely different marketing era. Meagan the stallion is constantly pushed in our faces and her album flopped. Also, Drake isn’t respected in the streets like a Gucci or TI who are great A&R’s. Drake will probably have to align himself with a similar artist like him, or big sean type rapper. The steets will never be behind Drake if he had an artist like Lil Baby or No Cap. He needs non-threatening type of dude to back.

And after the SZA fiasco, a lot of his “fans” are starting to realize how corny and desperate he is.
Megan has never put out a album, and outside of dvsn’s 1st album and a couple Baka records, OVO artist makes music for birds.

she has album or mixtape that was on a sells list. And she did like 35k or something. Idk
That was an ep & it did 41k. I remember them talking about it on the JBP, it has something to do w/ a bad contract she was in so she was releasing 40mins+ bodies of work to count as an album.

She's probably dropping an actual album soon seeing that she's being promoted on mainstream platforms like Time Magazine (which is huge deal; I was very surprised by that one), SNL, etc. Her debut album is coming very soon.

As crazy as it sounds, nobody else from OVO has really made waves in the last couple years except Baka and Drizzy.

Drake clearly has a good eye for talent based on his features for up and coming acts but he doesn't seem to be able to foster that into his label. It's weird.

Even weirder when you consider how he was put on by the biggest rap artist in the world during his come up. Wayne literally gave him and nicki the blueprint on how to push a new artist.
Baka is the only rapper on that roster. The whole OVO is R&B/pop. But I agree with the development issue. All of those artists should be way bigger than where they are now.

Dvsn

That was an ep & it did 41k. I remember them talking about it on the JBP, it has something to do w/ a bad contract she was in so she was releasing 40mins+ bodies of work to count as an album.

She's probably dropping an actual album soon seeing that she's being promoted on mainstream platforms like Time Magazine (which is huge deal; I was very surprised by that one), SNL, etc. Her debut album is coming very soon.
So it's an album, but she doesn't count it as one. What kind of mental gymnastics is that?

So it's an album, but she doesn't count it as one. What kind of mental gymnastics is that?

:lol: :lol: :lol: It it would’ve sold 200k+ out the gate, it would’ve been considered an album. Since it flopped, it’s only a “EP” or Non-album, according to him :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fact remains she’s a FLOP

"she was in so she was releasing 40mins+ bodies of work to count as an album."

She was in so she *wasn't releasing 40mins+ bodies of work to count as an album.

She has not dropped an album, she's just extremely hot rn. Future dropped Monster, Beast Mode, & 56 Nights. All full of hits prior to his album "DS2". Similar thing, different artist.

I don't know a single DVSN song no bs, my girl listens to R&B heavy and i don't think she's ever even tried to share 1 of their songs with me.

I've also never heard it when I'm out or even in cars passing by.

I do know the name of that counts for something but I can at least name 1 Baka song.

Since when did Drake need the streets? From the beginning he never really aligned his self with that culture. The reason he jumped over everybody is the support from the suburban nerds and females (while having quality songs written for him). The same reason AK is poppin, him and drake are equals. They just both understand that and feed that audience directly.

The reason Megan is flopping is because the lack of a super poppin single (Bodak yellow). Sorta like the same reason cardi will struggle for continued musical success. The industry has been and always will be about hit records.

"she was in so she was releasing 40mins+ bodies of work to count as an album."

She was in so she *wasn't releasing 40mins+ bodies of work to count as an album.

She has not dropped an album, she's just extremely hot rn. Future dropped Monster, Beast Mode, & 56 Nights. All full of hits prior to his album "DS2". Similar thing, different artist.

Future never flopped though Except His album “Honest”.... she flopped. Period

:lol: :lol: :lol: It it would’ve sold 200k+ out the gate, it would’ve been considered an album. Since it flopped, it’s only a “EP” or Non-album, according to him :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fact remains she’s a FLOP
If selling 41k for 24 min song EP is a flop then keep on sticking to stupid like a fly on ****. Your bias makes you dumb.

Ya boy Tory Lanez averages around that range w/ fully marketed promoted albums while on a major record label, but you not running around saying "FLOP".

Megan's actually independent doing those numbers she's doing, but cool.

This is you @1:13:

The reason Megan is flopping is because the lack of a super poppin single (Bodak yellow). Sorta like the same reason cardi will struggle for continued musical success. The industry has been and always will be about hit records.

U really think the shot clock is almost up for Cardi? If anything I assumed that her last album cemented her as an A-list act for female rap. Some would even argue she's the current queen. I doubt Atlantic would let her do it but I think Cardi could drop an album this week and go gold with a minimal follow up single.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom