Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Rap has made people accept people not being able to sing sing. That's also another problem.

Some of these R&B acts wouldn't exist in the 80's and 90's, because you had to actually sing, much less the performance aspect being lost.

Curious. Acts like who?

Chris Point Might Be Valid For Mainstream R&B But I'd Actually Argue R&B Is In A Better Point Now Than It's Been In Years.

There Are So Many Talented Male/Female R&B Acts Out Right Now, Albeit Not Necessarily Getting The Exposure.

People say Brent Faiyaz can’t sing. And I sorta agree. He does make some good music tho.

Just off the top of my head, CB is def right about the emo/recluse R&B singer being a thing.

Them *****s don’t even dance anymore :lol: :smh:

R&B is in a really weird place right now. So many thoughts on it. There are no real male stars. And a lot of female r&b acts…but no stars either. They kinda blend. But there are artists with huge followings nationwide, that make great records, tour and got some talent.

It’s all similar, but not similar. Hard to put my finger on exactly what it is.

People say Brent Faiyaz can’t sing. And I sorta agree. He does make some good music tho.

Just off the top of my head, CB is def right about the emo/recluse R&B singer being a thing.

Them *****s don’t even dance anymore :lol: :smh:

R&B is in a really weird place right now. So many thoughts on it. There are no real male stars. And a lot of female r&b acts…but no stars either. They kinda blend. But there are artists with huge followings nationwide, that make great records, tour and got some talent.

It’s all similar, but not similar. Hard to put my finger on exactly what it is.

it kinda got blended with the sad/wanting to die type hiphop soundcloud/lean/pill poppin rappers

Chris should’ve pointed out the emo, crybaby rap too. That s*** is terrible.

Yung Bleu TERRIBLE

Rod Wave might as well drop a R&B album.

Mo3 was a terrible rapper IMO. Would’ve been better as a R&B dude.

Z-Ro really was the first and only dude doing it back then.

Now it’s a MILLION dudes in that crybaby/emo rap lame. I don’t understand how y’all listen to that stuff all day

CB ain't tell one lie.
Since The Weeknd came out, the emo/recluse R&B thing become popular.
****** don't dance, and there's no more singing groups.
Drake & Kanye slowly killed off the R&B feature, and in turn slowed R&B down imo.
Once ****** started to do their own hooks, lines got blurred and it resulted in what we have today.

CB ain't tell one lie.
Since The Weeknd came out, the emo/recluse R&B thing become popular.
****** don't dance, and there's no more singing groups.
Drake & Kanye slowly killed off the R&B feature, and in turn slowed R&B down imo.
Once ****** started to do their own hooks, lines got blurred and it resulted in what we have today.

The Canadians brought something new…that got over saturated and slowly killed off parts of R&B.

The OVO sound (Drake/Weekend/PND/Tory) dudes. The production and atmosphere carried those. It was less about the actual singing. Then came Tiller right off of there, and 6lack and an entire sub genre that just keeps regenerating from there. I vividly remember like 2014-2016…that took off crazy.

Let us also not forget, American R&B SUPERSTARS, ditching R&B in the late 00s/early 10s for Pop R&B and Ibiza rap. That’s Usher/CB etc. They really chased some terrible trends with that.

And then the R&B thugs. Chris Brown/Trey Songz.

Sometimes, versatility and lending too much of a sauce can kill an essence. I don’t think R&B is in a bad place right now…it is just waaaaay to spread out, and the performers aren’t performing/dancing.

Neo Soul is still here. CB is a student of the game. He just too talented and tries to do everything. But still ain’t ever grow his sound.

Chris Point Might Be Valid For Mainstream R&B But I'd Actually Argue R&B Is In A Better Point Now Than It's Been In Years.

There Are So Many Talented Male/Female R&B Acts Out Right Now, Albeit Not Necessarily Getting The Exposure.

Agreed.

Commercial R&b is in disarray.

Overall, the genre is still alive and strong if you aren't relying on the machine to table set.

finessence finessence you’re about to be added to that list with rbk93 rbk93 :lol:

Bruh I’m use to rappity RAP! N_ who rap! Any coast or region. That emo/sad/crybaby rap is not for me.

I don’t understand how people listen to that all day.

Mo3 was always crying or talking about how his “dawg” hurt him or wronged him. Man, I ain’t trying to hear that s*** all day

I’m a Frank Ocean fan.

I’m just saying. None of these dudes is Ralph Tresvant, Dave Holister, Joe, Carl Thomas, Freddie Jackson or Luther Vandross. That’s what I grew up on too.

I mess with Frank and his music. I’m just saying compared to those guys.

Johnny Gill, Gerald Levert, etc. none of these new dudes compare or at least try.

You have women out here who prefer rap over R&B…. So why should dudes waste time?

The demographic, people, lifestyles, etc are different than the 80s, 90s or 2000s. The average 18-26 year old doesn’t like slow music or slow jams

The Canadians brought something new…that got over saturated and slowly killed off parts of R&B.

The OVO sound (Drake/Weekend/PND/Tory) dudes. The production and atmosphere carried those. It was less about the actual singing. Then came Tiller right off of there, and 6lack and an entire sub genre that just keeps regenerating from there. I vividly remember like 2014-2016…that took off crazy.

Let us also not forget, American R&B SUPERSTARS, ditching R&B in the late 00s/early 10s for Pop R&B and Ibiza rap. That’s Usher/CB etc. They really chased some terrible trends with that.

And then the R&B thugs. Chris Brown/Trey Songz.

Sometimes, versatility and lending too much of a sauce can kill an essence. I don’t think R&B is in a bad place right now…it is just waaaaay to spread out, and the performers aren’t performing/dancing.

Neo Soul is still here. CB is a student of the game. He just too talented and tries to do everything. But still ain’t ever grow his sound.

2008-12 when Usher, Ne-Yo started doing jersey shore fist pump music hurt and let's be honest Chris had a hand in it. This singy/rappy chasing quck cheesy hits. Rachet R&B, deez h03's ain't loyal. He was the leader of that.

Before that situation happened Chris was in line to be that next dude in R&B then he started having a personality crisis and wanted to be a tough guy and his music changed.

Then that period from 2013-16 can't really blame the Justin Timberlakes, Robin Thicke's, Sam Smith's. All the brothas with big names abandoned r&b for trends.

Now it's all f'ed up. People don't know what r&b is. Post Malone and Jack Harlow are put in R&B categories.

Back
Top Bottom