Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

These new fans don’t even want conscious rap… and y’all think they want traditional R&B? Nah. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ask a 22-28 year old to name some R&B songs, new or old and they gone look clueless

The Canadians brought something new…that got over saturated and slowly killed off parts of R&B.

The OVO sound (Drake/Weekend/PND/Tory) dudes. The production and atmosphere carried those. It was less about the actual singing. Then came Tiller right off of there, and 6lack and an entire sub genre that just keeps regenerating from there. I vividly remember like 2014-2016…that took off crazy.

Let us also not forget, American R&B SUPERSTARS, ditching R&B in the late 00s/early 10s for Pop R&B and Ibiza rap. That’s Usher/CB etc. They really chased some terrible trends with that.

And then the R&B thugs. Chris Brown/Trey Songz.

Sometimes, versatility and lending too much of a sauce can kill an essence. I don’t think R&B is in a bad place right now…it is just waaaaay to spread out, and the performers aren’t performing/dancing.

Neo Soul is still here. CB is a student of the game. He just too talented and tries to do everything. But still ain’t ever grow his sound.

All facts. You hit the nail on the head. 💯 Witnessed all of this in real time.
And like you said, R&B isn’t in a bad spot cause it’s out there if you want to listen. But I do have to actively search for it. The showmanship needs to be brought back.

For a minute now I been thinking it's a effort into killing what r&b is and redefinning it. White folks can't do r&b the way it's supposed to be. Jon B, Teena Marie, Bobby Caldwell it's only a couple white folks that could really make r&b but if you say Jack Harlow is a singer and theres this push to take him serious now you can change it.

These new fans don’t even want conscious rap… and y’all think they want traditional R&B? Nah. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ask a 22-28 year old to name some R&B songs, new or old and they gone look clueless
When I was a Drill Sergeant, one of the trainees was telling me how his mom listened to old school R&B. I asked who exactly and he responded with Destiny’s Child. Made me feel some type of way cause at the time I was around 26/27 and that’s what he considered to be old school R&B :lol:

Grine Grine what’s the deal with Gangsta? I always heard about him in old CM songs. A lot of comments on these Vlad interviews saying he a rat and Baby disowned him.

When I was a Drill Sergeant, one of the trainees was telling me how his mom listened to old school R&B. I asked who exactly and he responded with Destiny’s Child. Made me feel some type of way cause at the time I was around 26/27 and that’s what he considered to be old school R&B :lol:

I forgot what NBA Youngboy song, he thought Jodeci was one person :lol:. The bar kinda clever, if he did that intentionally :lol: :pimp:

“I don't know sht about no Jodeci
But you gon' suck me to his music while I sit back thinkin', smoke my weed”

I don’t even be expecting a 18-25 year old to know R&B. Just respect it.

It’s like the Lebron vs Jordan debate, I can’t expect a young kid to know of Jordan if they’ve never seen him play.

That’s where R&B is with the youth

And of course, outside of his core fan base, no one knows about him.

Its just what the game is these days. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Man, he’s HELLA popular :lol:. Cut it out.

*****s just don’t know him for real. Cmon man. He got a video with like 65 million views, and be killing Spotify lol

Rap has made people accept people not being able to sing sing. That's also another problem.

Some of these R&B acts wouldn't exist in the 80's and 90's, because you had to actually sing, much less the performance aspect being lost.
That’s why it’s funny CB saying it…Yo speaking some truth but he shoulda been leading the R&B **** but he spent all that time trying to figure out who he wants to be, a tough guy, semi rapper or not :lol: :smh:

Grine Grine what’s the deal with Gangsta? I always heard about him in old CM songs. A lot of comments on these Vlad interviews saying he a rat and Baby disowned him.

Apparently, they’re saying that he’s an informant. His record is sealed about how he was release. He went from life in prison to being freed on a random day.

I read he gave up information on murders throughout New Orleans - even on rappers for sentence reduction.

Imagine him talking about Yella murder…who would be in that mix? Baby?

Last edited:

Peezy smaller than Ray now :lol:. Them *****s damn near switched bodies

B05A5B7B-D8D6-4D66-ABB0-D319641EDB68.jpeg

Don’t listen to Chris Brown. Don’t listen to R&B outside of the classics so yeah.

Back
Top Bottom