Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

R&B is definitely in a weird space right now. I remember being able to hear ppl like Jon B, Case, Joe, Ginuwine, Jaheim, Dru Hill, Anthony Hamilton, R. [Name Redacted], Avant, etc all on the radio and see their videos consistently. Now if I wanna hear R&B artists I have to go to specific stations that only play it.

Breezy made some valid points but I feel he is part of the problem as well. I never want to trap an artist in one lane but none of the artists I just mentioned ventured out to other types of music really. Personally I dont think they were talented enough to do so so they stayed in their respective lane. But Breezy went from being a country boy from Tappahannock to a Blood and part time rapper. Same with Trey Songz as well, wantin to rap. These the dudes that I thought would carry that R&B torch but it never really turned out that way. Now we are stuck with the emo dudes who cant really sing for real but know how to make vibey songs over sampled beats. Once that Trap soul sound popped up it was copies nonstop. Im ready for N’s to be back outside singin in the rain tryna get they bxtch back. I miss that type of R&B at the forefront.

Curious. Acts like who?

95% of the acts out. The Summer Walkers, Bryson Tillers, Kehlani's, The Weekend, Ty $....

I'll go ahead and say Frank Ocean can't sing.

I can't listen to most of them, because they can't sing.

People like HER, Ari and SZA are cool

but the Jazmine Sullivan's are few and far in between.

It's like damn, Ashanti, Keyshia Cole and Alicia Keys used to be criticized because they weren't strong singers, but it's become the norm.

Once Nate Dog happen, the original swagger jacker P Kelly happen and it started blurring together and now the biggest selling R&B singer is a rapper who sucks at singing.

I’m a Frank Ocean fan.

I’m just saying. None of these dudes is Ralph Tresvant, Dave Holister, Joe, Carl Thomas, Freddie Jackson or Luther Vandross. That’s what I grew up on too.

I mess with Frank and his music. I’m just saying compared to those guys.

Johnny Gill, Gerald Levert, etc. none of these new dudes compare or at least try.

You have women out here who prefer rap over R&B…. So why should dudes waste time?

The demographic, people, lifestyles, etc are different than the 80s, 90s or 2000s. The average 18-26 year old doesn’t like slow music or slow jams

Carl Thomas also sucks as a singer

#stayfocusedblacks

trollyard.gif

95% of the acts out. The Summer Walkers, Bryson Tillers, Kehlani's, The Weekend, Ty $....

I'll go ahead and say Frank Ocean can't sing.

I can't listen to most of them, because they can't sing.

People like HER, Ari and SZA are cool

but the Jazmine Sullivan's are few and far in between.

It's like damn, Ashanti, Keyshia Cole and Alicia Keys used to be criticized because they weren't strong singers, but it's become the norm.

Once Nate Dog happen, the original swagger jacker P Kelly happen and it started blurring together and now the biggest selling R&B singer is a rapper who sucks at singing.

Ari Lennox is fye. Baby Rose too.

On the real, just go to the Colors page and pick an artist. But there is def some talent out here.

R&B is definitely in a weird space right now. I remember being able to hear ppl like Jon B, Case, Joe, Ginuwine, Jaheim, Dru Hill, Anthony Hamilton, R. [Name Redacted], Avant, etc all on the radio and see their videos consistently. Now if I wanna hear R&B artists I have to go to specific stations that only play it.

Breezy made some valid points but I feel he is part of the problem as well. I never want to trap an artist in one lane but none of the artists I just mentioned ventured out to other types of music really. Personally I dont think they were talented enough to do so so they stayed in their respective lane. But Breezy went from being a country boy from Tappahannock to a Blood and part time rapper. Same with Trey Songz as well, wantin to rap. These the dudes that I thought would carry that R&B torch but it never really turned out that way. Now we are stuck with the emo dudes who cant really sing for real but know how to make vibey songs over sampled beats. Once that Trap soul sound popped up it was copies nonstop. Im ready for N’s to be back outside singin in the rain tryna get they bxtch back. I miss that type of R&B at the forefront.

You really do have to search and seek out the legit singers in this current era of you want to listen. If you just leave it up to top 40 stuff, you’re only hearing pop, light airy weak vocalists that get exposed when they don’t have the engineers working magic to cover them up, and of course the whiny crying dudes that you already mentioned.

Also Lil Tjay's friends who had guns too who probably saved his life by having them are getting charged with unlawful possession too. Which leads me to ask for those that live up north in New York/New Jersey what is the benefit to living up there?

Cost of living is sky high, rodent infested, it's cold most of the year and y'all are expected to work in snow, the traffic is terrible, the sports teams suck, all the criminals have guns up there but it's next to impossible to carry one legally, y'all women talk mad aggressive.

I don't get it.

Also Lil Tjay's friends who had guns too who probably saved his life by having them are getting charged with unlawful possession too. Which leads me to ask for those that live up north in New York/New Jersey what is the benefit to living up there?

Cost of living is sky high, rodent infested, it's cold most of the year and y'all are expected to work in snow, the traffic is terrible, the sports teams suck, all the criminals have guns up there but it's next to impossible to carry one legally, y'all women talk mad aggressive.

I don't get it.
Preach

I don't get it.

:lol:

Because if you're from Harlem, BX, Washington Heights, it's moving out the city for you, but still right there.

I think it's because you feel like you should move there. There's spots in Harlem better, but you would still be staying in Harlem.

Back
Top Bottom