Rap Music thoughts/theories.... Vol. is a brother going insane

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

Thats cool that you like that but if that is the sub-genre of music is dominating the artform...there is a problem.

Its like every major movie release being a Steven Seagal film....Yeah I like violent action movies...but something is up if an immensely powerful form of expression is forced into a small, ignorant and repetitive box the way Hip-Hop has.
exactly, it's gotten to the point where the only marketable form of hiphop is gangster, drug sellin, pimpin, i got more money than you BS.Lupe is really the only mainstream dude I respect. Common did have my respect but he is slowly following the paths of all the others

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

Thats cool that you like that but if that is the sub-genre of music is dominating the artform...there is a problem.

Its like every major movie release being a Steven Seagal film....Yeah I like violent action movies...but something is up if an immensely powerful form of expression is forced into a small, ignorant and repetitive box the way Hip-Hop has.

what is the problem?

look i can listen to joe budden..................good stuff.

but that joe budden and other cats like him just aint gonna beat out this dominating artform the streets love.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

As long as people of color continue to support and glorify stereotypes, there won't be a change in many of these trends. You got rappers PORTRAYING a lifestyle that many of them don't lead at all. It's the sheep who eat up every word and action by their favorite rapper that you have to worry about. These are the consumers who can't decipher between fiction and reality. They are believing that Rick Ross is controlling all of the cocaine going in and out of Miami. They are believing that Little Wayne is a bonafide crip/blood, or whatever he's claiming to be for this week. Going back to the drug talk (for the sheep), don't you think that the feds would be more involved in certain rappers lives if what they were saying was true? These guys are almost like characters in WWE. They are the heels/faces of the music industry. However, once the day is over they go home and lead a semi-normal life until they have to get back into "character" in order to push album sales. You got kids thinking crack sales are cool because a guy like Ross says so. However, like I said before...these are the sheep who can't decipher between what is real and what isn't.

Many communities are being destroyed because of the infatuation people have with the celebs they see on MTV, BET, etc. Thinking the drug trade, pimping women, etc is the fast way to attaining jewels, the benz on 24's, or the latest gucci or LV outfit. I mean you have people who take Jeezys word as the gospel, can tell you all the members of the Byrd Gang, but can't tell you whats going on with the economy or who some of their local leader are. It's a sad state, and I hope that things can improve.

Going back to the stereotypes, how content are you in seeing a guy like Flavor Flav licking fried chicken grease off his fingers while selecting a +$%#$ to be his "queen." Women with no decorum, men with no sense of manners, etc etc are becoming the social norms in which people are NOT up in arms over. It's offensive, but you see the same type of scenarios (stereotyping) play out on other avenues of media.

I've been bored with rap music for quite some time now. I will say, that my stance on the current state of hip-hop HAS opened my eyes to music in other genres. For example, I decided to check out some Daft Punk. This is a group that I wasn't too familiar with, but I'm digging everything that I'm hearing so far. It's not that I was so wrapped up into rap music that I couldn't listen to anything else, rather I just never really tried to listen to stuff outside of my musical "box." I dunno....I hope things can improve in hip-hop, but I have my doubts. Artists are lazy, and the ones with talent who are TRUE the craft are struggling to get noticed. I think of the skit on Wale's 100 Miles and Running Mixtape where he has a phony record exec. call him and say he would hit the big time if he had some sort of dance, or put "Lil," or "Young" in front of his name. As long as people continue to support this garbage, things won't change. Stereotypes are accepted, and not nearly enough people are making a stand to make a change. It starts with the consumer. Don't watch MTV, BET, etc...don't support the crap you see or hear by giving your $ to these artists pockets. It's time to smarten up, and try to make a difference....
one of the realest posts ive read in a minute. Props my brotha
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

As long as people of color continue to support and glorify stereotypes, there won't be a change in many of these trends. You got rappers PORTRAYING a lifestyle that many of them don't lead at all. It's the sheep who eat up every word and action by their favorite rapper that you have to worry about. These are the consumers who can't decipher between fiction and reality. They are believing that Rick Ross is controlling all of the cocaine going in and out of Miami. They are believing that Little Wayne is a bonafide crip/blood, or whatever he's claiming to be for this week. Going back to the drug talk (for the sheep), don't you think that the feds would be more involved in certain rappers lives if what they were saying was true? These guys are almost like characters in WWE. They are the heels/faces of the music industry. However, once the day is over they go home and lead a semi-normal life until they have to get back into "character" in order to push album sales. You got kids thinking crack sales are cool because a guy like Ross says so. However, like I said before...these are the sheep who can't decipher between what is real and what isn't.

Many communities are being destroyed because of the infatuation people have with the celebs they see on MTV, BET, etc. Thinking the drug trade, pimping women, etc is the fast way to attaining jewels, the benz on 24's, or the latest gucci or LV outfit. I mean you have people who take Jeezys word as the gospel, can tell you all the members of the Byrd Gang, but can't tell you whats going on with the economy or who some of their local leader are. It's a sad state, and I hope that things can improve.

Going back to the stereotypes, how content are you in seeing a guy like Flavor Flav licking fried chicken grease off his fingers while selecting a +$%#$ to be his "queen." Women with no decorum, men with no sense of manners, etc etc are becoming the social norms in which people are NOT up in arms over. It's offensive, but you see the same type of scenarios (stereotyping) play out on other avenues of media.

I've been bored with rap music for quite some time now. I will say, that my stance on the current state of hip-hop HAS opened my eyes to music in other genres. For example, I decided to check out some Daft Punk. This is a group that I wasn't too familiar with, but I'm digging everything that I'm hearing so far. It's not that I was so wrapped up into rap music that I couldn't listen to anything else, rather I just never really tried to listen to stuff outside of my musical "box." I dunno....I hope things can improve in hip-hop, but I have my doubts. Artists are lazy, and the ones with talent who are TRUE the craft are struggling to get noticed. I think of the skit on Wale's 100 Miles and Running Mixtape where he has a phony record exec. call him and say he would hit the big time if he had some sort of dance, or put "Lil," or "Young" in front of his name. As long as people continue to support this garbage, things won't change. Stereotypes are accepted, and not nearly enough people are making a stand to make a change. It starts with the consumer. Don't watch MTV, BET, etc...don't support the crap you see or hear by giving your $ to these artists pockets. It's time to smarten up, and try to make a difference....

I agree 100%. As long as people cannot differentiate between fantasy and reality, horrible rap will continue to flourish.....

Back
Top Bottom