Rap Pinocchios: Is The Era Of Keeping It Real Finally Over?

4,862
13
Joined Jun 1, 2008
Rap Pinocchios: Is The Era Of Keeping It Real Finally Over?



"If you say real talk I probably won't trust ya." - Andre 3000

For a musical genre completely obsessed with keeping it real does any one else find the state of hip-hop completely twisted nowadays?

Yeah we always knew our favorite rappers were lying but now they're actually admitting it, and they're getting a pass. I mean Mr. Trilla (that's true and real for you newcomers) himself finally went on the record in last month's XXL, copping out (pun intended) to his former role as a C.O. and he was still able to secure himself a number one slot on the charts. 50 Cent - another professed liar who reneged on his deal to retire if Kanye West outsold him in their '07's SoundScan showdown - wasn't even able to use the bold face lie to successfully "$*** up" his life, as promised.

Jim Jones is another example. Dude flat out lied on the radio when he denied speaking to his former best friend Cam'ron on the phone. While this blew up in his face - Cam says the lie was the proverbial "last straw" that ruined the chances of a full-fledged Dipset reunion - the public didn't go up in arms. The Capo may be far from selling as many copies of his album as Ross, but they're still playing "Dancing on Me" on Hot 97 every 10 minutes.

And what's most interesting - and actually what inspired me to post this blog - is the situation with Clipse. After it was reported that an associate of theirs was indicted on charges of running a $10 million drug ring, Clipse rapper Malice - who built a career on rapping about coke - put a video on the net trying to put distance between his life on wax and his real persona. It was obviously an act of damage control, a ploy to keep his name out of the case, but that didn't stop him from telling fans he wasn't being truthful in his songs.

"I guess basically what I'm saying is when I get in that booth and I start recording I can drive as many Bentleys as I want," he said. "I can hop on as many G5's or drop as many tops as I want."

In regards to his career in Hollywood, David Banner recently spoke to XXLMag.com about rap's limitations. "One negative thing about being a rapper is that we have allowed our music to be turned into something that people take literally," he said. "Music is supposed to have the ability to take you somewhere else, not keep you in the reality that you're already in, because we already live the stuff that we talk about in most of our music. I don't wanna hear that $*!@, too-not all the time."

So that leads us to the question, is the age of "keeping it real," "keeping it 100," "keeping it trill," or whatever the hell you call it, in hip-hop finally caput? Be honest… - Jesse Gissen

Update: Looky here…Alfamega exposed as former DEA informant

Source


...
To Malice's defense, I'm pretty obvious this is damage control... Ninja got kids, he aint tryin to get indicted... Perfect timing onhis revalations


I remember when people EXPECTED N to keep it real...

 
4,244
155
Joined Jun 29, 2002
David Banner summed it up nicely: "One negative thing about being a rapper is that we have allowed our music to be turned into something that people takeliterally," he said. "Music is supposed to have the ability to take you somewhere else, not keep you in the reality that you're already in,because we already live the stuff that we talk about in most of our music. I don't wanna hear that $*!@, too-not all the time." And cats ain'tbeen keeping it real for about 20 years now. Only difference is we have the internet now and parents aren't doing their job and kids are easily influenced.
 
23,950
1,827
Joined May 18, 2005
Originally Posted by rocyaice

David Banner summed it up nicely: "One negative thing about being a rapper is that we have allowed our music to be turned into something that people take literally," he said. "Music is supposed to have the ability to take you somewhere else, not keep you in the reality that you're already in, because we already live the stuff that we talk about in most of our music. I don't wanna hear that $*!@, too-not all the time." And cats ain't been keeping it real for about 20 years now. Only difference is we have the internet now and parents aren't doing their job and kids are easily influenced.
agreed, part of that is the fact that the radio plays such a SMALL part of what hip hop is.
thats why Hiphop has such a poor view to the public. Ice, brand names, drugs, and sex... a mic and Rnb breaks looped and thats the only thing you could come upwith?
 
4,244
155
Joined Jun 29, 2002
Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by rocyaice

David Banner summed it up nicely: "One negative thing about being a rapper is that we have allowed our music to be turned into something that people take literally," he said. "Music is supposed to have the ability to take you somewhere else, not keep you in the reality that you're already in, because we already live the stuff that we talk about in most of our music. I don't wanna hear that $*!@, too-not all the time." And cats ain't been keeping it real for about 20 years now. Only difference is we have the internet now and parents aren't doing their job and kids are easily influenced.
agreed, part of that is the fact that the radio plays such a SMALL part of what hip hop is.
thats why Hiphop has such a poor view to the public. Ice, brand names, drugs, and sex... a mic and Rnb breaks looped and thats the only thing you could come up with?

I feel what you're saying. I think at the end of the day though we're the ones to blame for it. Radio plays what we request and what we respond to andwe're not responding to the more conscious hip hop that's out there. We're not responding to the quality of the music we respond to the catchy hookand beat. Music just like any form of entertainment is a copy cat business. They see Soulja Boy sell some records they'll go and look for 10 more. They seeDrake getting buzz they'll look for a cheaper version of Drake. We have to start supporting the Lupe's and the Blu's more. We won't though.
: We'll continue to download their !** and we'll continue to see the more commercial friendly music get play because the commercial friendly crowdswill go out and purchase those records. We won't.
 
423
10
Joined Jan 29, 2009
Originally Posted by rocyaice

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by rocyaice

David Banner summed it up nicely: "One negative thing about being a rapper is that we have allowed our music to be turned into something that people take literally," he said. "Music is supposed to have the ability to take you somewhere else, not keep you in the reality that you're already in, because we already live the stuff that we talk about in most of our music. I don't wanna hear that $*!@, too-not all the time." And cats ain't been keeping it real for about 20 years now. Only difference is we have the internet now and parents aren't doing their job and kids are easily influenced.
agreed, part of that is the fact that the radio plays such a SMALL part of what hip hop is.
thats why Hiphop has such a poor view to the public. Ice, brand names, drugs, and sex... a mic and Rnb breaks looped and thats the only thing you could come up with?

I feel what you're saying. I think at the end of the day though we're the ones to blame for it. Radio plays what we request and what we respond to and we're not responding to the more conscious hip hop that's out there. We're not responding to the quality of the music we respond to the catchy hook and beat. Music just like any form of entertainment is a copy cat business. They see Soulja Boy sell some records they'll go and look for 10 more. They see Drake getting buzz they'll look for a cheaper version of Drake. We have to start supporting the Lupe's and the Blu's more. We won't though.
We'll continue to download their !** and we'll continue to see the more commercial friendly music get play because the commercial friendly crowds will go out and purchase those records. We won't.

I dont vote for soulja boys songs.. the kids do. I didn't vote ricky bobby on the countdown.. the kids do.

I like Blu and stuff.. but come on. U want me to request dudes songs on the radio, I dont listen to the radio, why should I care. The mentality that most"true hip hop fans" have is that no matter what they do hip hop is gonna stay the same. I always believed in keeping it real, but in todays rap gameits too hard to be noticed like that, hence make any money.

Its gonna happen though. kanye helped alot with songs like All Falls Down and alot new rappers like Drake and Cudi are following in his footsteps.. Hopefullyrap fades away finally and we can create a new genre with a mixture of it in a more positive light... I hate crack talk.. Listen to Masta Ace. He's therealest it gets, might be boring for you but thats the reality of reality.

I dont blame the rappers I blame the fans.. you want it and there willing to give it to you in exchange for your money and ears
 
11,986
19
Joined Feb 21, 2005
Just cause Scorcese makes gangster films he a gangster? Does he have to portray that life. Music is art, its representational.
 

m16

Banned
2,799
10
Joined Apr 3, 2009
I understand stretching the truth to some extent in your rhymes to make them more interesting, but there's still a certain line you shouldn't cross.

Claiming false gang membership.
Being a C.O / DEA informant and still rapping like you Pablo Escobar.
Completely faking your past, like claiming somewhere you aren't even from.

etc
 
728
10
Joined Mar 29, 2008
Originally Posted by M16

I understand stretching the truth to some extent in your rhymes to make them more interesting, but there's still a certain line you shouldn't cross.

Claiming false gang membership.
Being a C.O / DEA informant and still rapping like you Pablo Escobar.
Completely faking your past, like claiming somewhere you aren't even from.

etc
Eh they're all liars, do you still believe in Santa Claus too? The whole point of rapping and singing for that matter is to fabricate yourlife and tell a story that will be interesting. If these guys were really drug lords moving weight, why on Earth would they waste their time rapping just tomake 100 grand.
 
4,862
13
Joined Jun 1, 2008
I think you guys are confusing what rappers of the past have done to what Ns is doin now... I mean you can say all you want about rappers being fake, but allthese cats from the 90s (isn't even that many) were exposed in the past few years, a good 10 years after they were actually generating revenue from theirpersonas, so that %!$+ doesn't even apply because the scenerios aren't really that simular outside of someone rapping something they prolly didn'tdo... These days cats get exposed, and people go out and support them anyway... It does hip hop a disservice... Part of being an artist is using YOURimagination, but its STILL you... What we've seen is dude just create a life on wax... Then people want it excused because someone 10 years ago didn'tdo what he rapped about... So why not say somethin 10 years ago??

David Banner has no room to talk, he's a flat out hypocrite, he contridicts EVERYthing he says, he's just blabbing because no one buys his %!$+... Hetalks all this black empowerment, unity, teach the kids (()) %!$+ then comes out with "Play"... or that other borderline gay %!$+ "ShawtySaid"... He's corny... He doesn't keep it real, he fronts so its not a surprise he would come out and speak... He's truly a clown, I haveabout 6% respect for that dude, and that's only because of a natural disaster, if that for that he'd be @ 0% with Rick Ross
 

m16

Banned
2,799
10
Joined Apr 3, 2009
Originally Posted by u ttocs

Originally Posted by M16

I understand stretching the truth to some extent in your rhymes to make them more interesting, but there's still a certain line you shouldn't cross.

Claiming false gang membership.
Being a C.O / DEA informant and still rapping like you Pablo Escobar.
Completely faking your past, like claiming somewhere you aren't even from.

etc
Eh they're all liars, do you still believe in Santa Claus too? The whole point of rapping and singing for that matter is to fabricate your life and tell a story that will be interesting. If these guys were really drug lords moving weight, why on Earth would they waste their time rapping just to make 100 grand.

did you even read my post ?
 
6,145
10
Joined Mar 13, 2008
All I know is that I keep it 100. Real stories. Real Passion. Real life. Real talented. Real rap. Rilla.
 
2,631
10
Joined Jan 9, 2007
I don't mind rappers talking about fictional stuff, as long as they clarify that it is fiction. I really don't care whether you sold drugs or got madbodies under your belt, but if you didn't, just say you're rapping from the hood "perspective".
 
6,145
10
Joined Mar 13, 2008
Originally Posted by u ttocs

Originally Posted by M16

I understand stretching the truth to some extent in your rhymes to make them more interesting, but there's still a certain line you shouldn't cross.

Claiming false gang membership.
Being a C.O / DEA informant and still rapping like you Pablo Escobar.
Completely faking your past, like claiming somewhere you aren't even from.

etc
Eh they're all liars, do you still believe in Santa Claus too? The whole point of rapping and singing for that matter is to fabricate your life and tell a story that will be interesting. If these guys were really drug lords moving weight, why on Earth would they waste their time rapping just to make 100 grand.
At least the third sentence made sense
. Some of us rappers are actually just normal people who ARE interesting.

"You ain't gotta lie to kick it"
 

m16

Banned
2,799
10
Joined Apr 3, 2009
Originally Posted by DearWinter219

All I know is that I keep it 100. Real stories. Real Passion. Real life. Real talented. Real rap. Rilla.

I respect that. To me that's the best type of music to listen to, when you know the artist is writing straight from personal experience and you can feelthe emotion/realism. I hate listening to phonies acting all hood, or even worse, lames pretending to be all conscious when you can tell they are full of $##@and not genuine about it. Props.
 
1,146
131
Joined Apr 17, 2006
Originally Posted by DearWinter219

All I know is that I keep it 100. Real stories. Real Passion. Real life. Real talented. Real rap. Rilla.

for some reason all i hear is "rapp snitch knishes" by doom and "bring hip hop back" by cipher complete

[Mr. Fantastik]
Type profile low, like ay get paid in full
Attract heavy cash cuz the game's centrifical
Mister Fantastik long though like elastic
Got my life between glocks, it's made out of plastic
Can't stand the brown nosin +#$%$ fake *%! bastard
Admiring my style so I bust through Manhattan
Since plottin, plan the quickest, my flow is the sickest
My **@! be the thickest, my dro.. the stickiest
Street +#$%$, stamped and bonafide
When beef jump %**$+% come get me cuz they know I ride
Two to the ski mask, New York's my origin
Play a fake gangsta like a old accordian
Accordin ta him, when the deed's rushed in
Complication from the wild testimony was thin
Caused his man ta go up north, the ball hit 'em again
Blame rap snitch +#$%$, even told on the mexican
[Chorus x2: Mr. Fantastik] [The second time the chorus is repeated, it doesn't end with "Huh"]
Rap snitches, tellin all their business
Sit in the court and be they own star witness
Do you see the perpetrator, yeah i'm right here
*#%+ around get the whole label sent up for years (Huh)

 
39,088
63,194
Joined Sep 18, 2003
Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

I think you guys are confusing what rappers of the past have done to what Ns is doin now... I mean you can say all you want about rappers being fake, but all these cats from the 90s (isn't even that many) were exposed in the past few years, a good 10 years after they were actually generating revenue from their personas, so that %!$+ doesn't even apply because the scenerios aren't really that simular outside of someone rapping something they prolly didn't do... These days cats get exposed, and people go out and support them anyway... It does hip hop a disservice... Part of being an artist is using YOUR imagination, but its STILL you... What we've seen is dude just create a life on wax... Then people want it excused because someone 10 years ago didn't do what he rapped about... So why not say somethin 10 years ago??

David Banner has no room to talk, he's a flat out hypocrite, he contridicts EVERYthing he says, he's just blabbing because no one buys his %!$+... He talks all this black empowerment, unity, teach the kids (()) %!$+ then comes out with "Play"... or that other borderline gay %!$+ "Shawty Said"... He's corny... He doesn't keep it real, he fronts so its not a surprise he would come out and speak... He's truly a clown, I have about 6% respect for that dude, and that's only because of a natural disaster, if that for that he'd be @ 0% with Rick Ross
agreed
he'll say in an interview something, and then rap about the complete opposite. i understand everyone has their vices. but come on. how are you gonna sayyou "love our black queens" and then turn around and drop XXX rated singles?

at least cam'ron is ignorant 24/7
 
23,950
1,827
Joined May 18, 2005
Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Just cause Scorcese makes gangster films he a gangster? Does he have to portray that life. Music is art, its representational.
I get you.
but now lets say Tv was 40% gangster flicks, some of them based on a real story, some not.
now people are being led to like the "real" gangster flicks... then they start looking down on the fictitious ones.
and this is what happened to hip hop, when you're fed the same thing over and over and over again, fans start to distinguish poetry from life, pickingsides.
 
5,423
10
Joined Aug 28, 2008
Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

I think you guys are confusing what rappers of the past have done to what Ns is doin now... I mean you can say all you want about rappers being fake, but all these cats from the 90s (isn't even that many) were exposed in the past few years, a good 10 years after they were actually generating revenue from their personas, so that %!$+ doesn't even apply because the scenerios aren't really that simular outside of someone rapping something they prolly didn't do... These days cats get exposed, and people go out and support them anyway... It does hip hop a disservice... Part of being an artist is using YOUR imagination, but its STILL you... What we've seen is dude just create a life on wax... Then people want it excused because someone 10 years ago didn't do what he rapped about... So why not say somethin 10 years ago??

David Banner has no room to talk, he's a flat out hypocrite, he contridicts EVERYthing he says, he's just blabbing because no one buys his %!$+... He talks all this black empowerment, unity, teach the kids (()) %!$+ then comes out with "Play"... or that other borderline gay %!$+ "Shawty Said"... He's corny... He doesn't keep it real, he fronts so its not a surprise he would come out and speak... He's truly a clown, I have about 6% respect for that dude, and that's only because of a natural disaster, if that for that he'd be @ 0% with Rick Ross


Yo U do this all the time...
U criticize one rapper for something that rappers have been doing for years...
David Banner...contradicts himself? no $+%#....what about 2 pac....what about Nas...I have heard u call pac one of the greatest but that N was just as confusedand as much as a
contradiction as Banner.... does that make pac corny or a clown...
and u talk about cats from the 90s not getting revenue anymore that doesnt matter...if shook ones comes on the i pod ur gonna listen and rap it word forword...if Last Dayz comes on
your gonna listen and rap it word for word so how is that different from a N bumpin rick ross new cd?
i think it was rocyaice that said it...but what would u have a rapper be a c.o....or just straight up soft...2 me its all the same...
I have seen prodigy get punched in the face and DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...that is the definition of someone who is just @##@# im sorry...
it is what it is..just enjoy it for what its worth...
 
4,244
155
Joined Jun 29, 2002
Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

I think you guys are confusing what rappers of the past have done to what Ns is doin now... I mean you can say all you want about rappers being fake, but all these cats from the 90s (isn't even that many) were exposed in the past few years, a good 10 years after they were actually generating revenue from their personas, so that %!$+ doesn't even apply because the scenerios aren't really that simular outside of someone rapping something they prolly didn't do... These days cats get exposed, and people go out and support them anyway... It does hip hop a disservice... Part of being an artist is using YOUR imagination, but its STILL you... What we've seen is dude just create a life on wax... Then people want it excused because someone 10 years ago didn't do what he rapped about... So why not say somethin 10 years ago??

David Banner has no room to talk, he's a flat out hypocrite, he contridicts EVERYthing he says, he's just blabbing because no one buys his %!$+... He talks all this black empowerment, unity, teach the kids (()) %!$+ then comes out with "Play"... or that other borderline gay %!$+ "Shawty Said"... He's corny... He doesn't keep it real, he fronts so its not a surprise he would come out and speak... He's truly a clown, I have about 6% respect for that dude, and that's only because of a natural disaster, if that for that he'd be @ 0% with Rick Ross

Now hold up bruh. Shawty Said wasn't a contradiction. The song is telling dudes they should take care of their kids and take of their chic. You just heardWayne on the hook and didn't even bother to listen to the lyrics it seems.

And you got Banner completely wrong. Banner is a lot more positive in his music now than he was 6 years ago. That growth in itself deserves credit. And Banneris one of the few cats in the game that tell's you *@+ you need to know but don't want to hear. And let's say he is a walking contradiction. Wouldyou rather him spit explicit lyrics and not try to be an activist of our community or just spit explicit lyrics and shoot youtubte videos all day in a ski maskwith a m16 on his side? What approach should dude take? Not be himself? Not rap explicit at all?

Originally Posted by YoutubeSensation

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by rocyaice

David Banner summed it up nicely: "One negative thing about being a rapper is that we have allowed our music to be turned into something that people take literally," he said. "Music is supposed to have the ability to take you somewhere else, not keep you in the reality that you're already in, because we already live the stuff that we talk about in most of our music. I don't wanna hear that $*!@, too-not all the time." And cats ain't been keeping it real for about 20 years now. Only difference is we have the internet now and parents aren't doing their job and kids are easily influenced.
agreed, part of that is the fact that the radio plays such a SMALL part of what hip hop is.
thats why Hiphop has such a poor view to the public. Ice, brand names, drugs, and sex... a mic and Rnb breaks looped and thats the only thing you could come up with?

I feel what you're saying. I think at the end of the day though we're the ones to blame for it. Radio plays what we request and what we respond to and we're not responding to the more conscious hip hop that's out there. We're not responding to the quality of the music we respond to the catchy hook and beat. Music just like any form of entertainment is a copy cat business. They see Soulja Boy sell some records they'll go and look for 10 more. They see Drake getting buzz they'll look for a cheaper version of Drake. We have to start supporting the Lupe's and the Blu's more. We won't though.
We'll continue to download their !** and we'll continue to see the more commercial friendly music get play because the commercial friendly crowds will go out and purchase those records. We won't.

I dont vote for soulja boys songs.. the kids do. I didn't vote ricky bobby on the countdown.. the kids do.

I like Blu and stuff.. but come on. U want me to request dudes songs on the radio, I dont listen to the radio, why should I care. The mentality that most "true hip hop fans" have is that no matter what they do hip hop is gonna stay the same. I always believed in keeping it real, but in todays rap game its too hard to be noticed like that, hence make any money.

Its gonna happen though. kanye helped alot with songs like All Falls Down and alot new rappers like Drake and Cudi are following in his footsteps.. Hopefully rap fades away finally and we can create a new genre with a mixture of it in a more positive light... I hate crack talk.. Listen to Masta Ace. He's the realest it gets, might be boring for you but thats the reality of reality.

I dont blame the rappers I blame the fans.. you want it and there willing to give it to you in exchange for your money and ears

Its not just requesting. Its purchasing. You gotta purchase these albums. Purchasing albums goes a lot further than requesting videos on 106. Purchasingalbums brings the label's money. But we're not even doing that. And i'm victim of it as well. I don't purchase all music that I feel is qualitymyself.
 
382
10
Joined May 30, 2007
Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Just cause Scorcese makes gangster films he a gangster? Does he have to portray that life. Music is art, its representational.

[HOV]"IT'S ONLY ENTERTAINMENT!!!"[HOV]
 
4,862
13
Joined Jun 1, 2008
Rocy
you might be right about the "Shawty Said" song, I never made it past the hook... But there's countless quotes from this guy that hecontradicts time and time again... He went out and told black women they shouldn't get perms, and they were tryin to be white... Then gets an S Curl??There's no excuse for "Play"... Look @ him on the Hip Hop Vs America %**+ a few years ago... His heart is clearly in the RIGHT place, but hisbrain and body are in a different world...

Dapper D

YOU do THIS all the time... You make an EXTREME comparison to prove a point by inserting BIG, 2Pac, Nas or Jay... And say this person did it... Howcan you even compare David Banner and Pac @ anything?? Come on... We around the same age... Which would've made us arounf 9 or 10 when Infamous dropped,nobody knew them Ns was frauds till we was grown men and old enuff to know better... Ns actin like they knew Prodigy was buns, Ns aint know that %**+ till Mobbwasn't even poppin... Same with Onyx... That's 95... We didn't know that %**+ back then... These cats now, will be exposed and Ns will still go outand support the %**+... No one in here was old enuff to know some of these cats was fakin, not to mention there was a good deal of cats keepin way real also...

Cut it out with the comparsions, these guys wernt exposed till the 2000s, no one in here was listenin to Mobb from 94-99 and sayin these Ns lyin... except my NillPhill
... Keep it funky we were all scared of Ice Cube and thought he was G
... I neva even heard that %**+ about him being fake till prollylate 90s early 2000... The N's prime was a decade before...
 
74
10
Joined Feb 25, 2008
Are all these references from XXL? -

I dont listen to ANY of those artist. None of those rappers have crediability either way. Ross's new album though , is undeniably classic. I think that -the new school rappers coming out these days are making good music , and being themselves. There's none of that gun-poppin non-sense anymore without itbeing a goood song. I dont have a wide-attention span for stuff like that.

The new school is promising. Doesn't look like anythign has to come out in the wash or the rinse with these guys (Kanye , Drake , Wale , Ortiz , J. Cole ,Corey Gunz , Chris Hamiliton , Cool Kidz , etc)....
 
1,234
10
Joined Dec 20, 2007
[table][tr][td][/td] [td]
I understand stretching the truth to some extent in your rhymes to make them more interesting, but there's still a certain line you shouldn't cross.

Claiming false gang membership.
Being a C.O / DEA informant and still rapping like you Pablo Escobar.
Completely faking your past, like claiming somewhere you aren't even from.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
QFT
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now