JordanpicAirShips.jpg

Everytime I see this jersey I just :smh:
nono.gif
.... no excuse nike...

The Real Drrty Drrty
Member# 00-Hustla
Reppin Ft. lauderdale-954!!​
Quote:
Don't think I ain't peep them pidgeon feathers tryin' to fight they way out of that coat either lil' N'...:lol:

Traveler9: Now that picture really throws a monkey wrench into the whole timeline thing....lol! The Bulls played both home games against Phili Nov. 17th 1984 and Dec 15th 1984...obviously it's not the Dec 15th home game..so that leaves us with the only other option of Nov 17th... I don't know what to make of that...unless it's a prototype AJ 1s...So now whe have 3 pairs of Air Ships in different colors and the Red/White/Black AJ1s before Feb. 1985?..hummmm, Anybody?...hahaha suggestions?

Oh, one more thing..that B/W image with Jordan with the Black Air Ships against NY ..dates for both road games are
Nov 8th 1984 (7th pro game) and Jan 5th 1984 (34th game)

"J23"
The site for rare Jordan signatures​

Nice PE's Jay Jones! Pristine and mint.

Nice pics you all. I haven't seen those different coloured Air Ship pics before.

Peace :pimp:
pimp.gif

Michael Jordan, the best there ever was. The best there ever will be...

Ok, Per Jordan's book "For the love of the game"..The excerp goes like this, which comes directly from Jordan's own words:

NIKE HAD AN ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN IN MIND. BUT THEY WERE AFRAID TO PUT IT INTO MOTION UNTIL THEY SAW ME PLAY. I STARTED THE 1984-85 SEASON WEARING THE "BLACK/RED" SHOE. "THREE" GAMES INTO THE SEASON, THE NBA DID US A HUGE FAVOR. THE LEAGUE BANNED THE SHOE BECAUSE IT DIDN'T CONFORM TO THE REST OF THE BULLS UNIFORMS. BUT I KEPT WEARING THEM AND DAVID STERN STARTED FINING ME. I THINK IT STARTED OUT AT $1000 A GAME, THEN WENT TO $3000, AND EVENTUALLY $5,000. NIKE DIDN'T BLINK. NIKE SAID THEY WERE WILLING TO PAY EVERY PENNY AND I TOTALLY AGREED. IT WOULD HAVE COST MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO COME UP WITH A PROMOTION THAT PRODUCED AS MUCH PUBLICITY AS THE LEAGUE'S BAN DID. THE WHOLE THING WORKED PERFECTLY. THE FIRST COMMERCIAL SHOWED MY HEAD, AND THE CAMERA SLOWLY MOVED DOWN MY BODY TO MY FEET. WHEN THE CAMERA HIT THE SHOES A BIG "X" WAS STAMPED ON THE SCREEN AND THE ANNOUNCER SAID, "BANNED". RIGHT AFTER THAT, SALES WENT CRAZY.
-MICHAEL JORDAN
JordanIredblackbanned.JPG

So this is what I have come up with so far:

Per Jordan's Statement Wore Black/Red shoes before David Stern bans shoes, keeps wearing shoes per/ Nike,Proserv to pick up fines

(Game #1)Oct 26th 1984 Washington Bullets
(Game #2)Oct 27th 1984 Mil Bucks
(Game #3)Oct 29th 1984 Mil Bucks
(Game #7) Nov. 8th 1984 *Documented pic..B/W against NY Knicks (Black/Red Air Ships)(Per image posted on NT)

Chronological image dating by the SI Jordan first cover dated Dec 10th 1984 (Images within the magazine) (SI)

? Game date .. (Wearing White/Red Ships) Detroit @ Chicago ...first regular season game is Dec. 11th 1984, obviously not the game from the regular season...must be preseason game (SI)

(Game #11)Nov. 17th 1984 Phi. Sixers @ Chicago: Photo demonstrates Jordan wearing the Air Jordan I Red/White/Black pair (SI) ****Noting that I came up with this date because since the image was included in the Dec 10th issue of Sports Il, Its the only date that the Bulls played the Sixers at home prior to Dec 10th.

(Game #12) Nov. 19th 1984 Indiana Pacers @ Chicago: Photo demonstrates Jordan wearing the Nike White/Red Air Ship(SI)

(Game #13)Nov. 21st 1984 Chicago @ Mil. Bucks: Which was used for the Dec 10th 1984 Cover of Jordan wearing White/Red Ships-
****Noting that this is the 3rd meeting between the two teams, "Prior to" the Dec 10 SI cover was done, taking into consideration that the two other times were games #2-#3 which by Jordan's own words he was wearing the Black/Red Shoes

(Game #17) Nov. 29th 1984 (1st West Coast Road Trip) Chicago @ Pho. Suns: Photo demonstrates Jordan wearing the Nike White/Red Air Ship(SI)

(Game 18 Nov. 30th 1984 Chicago @ LA Clippers: Photo Demonstrates Jordan wearing Nike All White version of Ships.

Now things that come to my head. How many actual games did Jordan get fined for wearing the Black/Red Shoes? By the images in the Sports Ill. Cover Dec 10th 1984 Jordan briefly wore the Prototypes of the Air Jordan Is Red/Black/White...but for how many games? Must be only for a couple of games... I have undocumented games from Game #8-10)..These three games, Jordan was either still wearing the black/red pair and still getting fined? By game #11 He wore the Red/Black/White Jordan Is ...The very next game (Game #12) which is the Sports ILL cover shot...he switched to the white/red ships...etc...

Ok, now I have a headache....Guys, your turn to fill in the blanks!
"j23"

Hey, JordanExtreme. I did part of my research from your wonderful website! You seem like the "chronology" type...Can you help out with this timeline?

"J23"

I'll went through my 1984 and 1985 SI magazines to see any MJ pics with him wearing AJ or Air Ships. There's only a handful of pics which all have been scanned and all are on the website.

I don't have any pics of him wearing the Air Jordan 1 Bla/Red during a regular season game.

However, the earliest pic of him wearing a pair of Air Ship Whi/Red was on Nov 1, 1984 at Denver.

Earliest pic of him wearing a pair of Air Jordan 1 Whi/Red/Bla was on Dec 15, 1984 at Chicago in a game against the Sixers.

There are ways to be absolutely 100% certain, Jordanettes living in Chicago should go the the city library and search it's newspaper archives in November 1984 and check it out. Or somebody go to Getty Images and checkout all of MJ 1984/85 pics and confirm when and what he wore. I might do it if I have the time.

Peace. :pimp:
pimp.gif

Michael Jordan, the best there ever was. The best there ever will be...

Jordan Extreme, I went to Getty Images last night and executed every advanced search option combination I could think of. All I found was more of the same type pics already posted here. Nothing of him wearing a predominantly black and red shoe at any point during his rookie year except for the dunk contest and non-game photo ops.

One thing this all this needling has brought to my attention, however,---and this is no surprise--is that Nike beefed up the midsole and very subtley changed the design of the PE AJ1s that Mike wore after returning from his broken foot in 1986. If you'd like to investigate for yourself, look for these differences.

1) The most obvious is that in 1986---after his return from the broken foot---his midsole (the white cupwall part) is thicker. This is particularly noticeable at the midfoot and toward the rear of the shoe.

2) The red section of the sole rises up higher in the toe area than it did before he went out with the injury.

3) The swoosh on his post injury AJ1s extends a little farther toward the forefoot than his originals and ones sold retail.

And though I'm not positive about this, the red leather parts of the shoe seem to be a slightly brighter red than the originals. Y'all check it out and see if you don't agree. Here are a couple images from after his return. There are more out there...

v6ol7r.jpg

v6olms.jpg

Here's a closeup of the shoe...def prototype with the "NIKE" on the wings logo and not the normal "AirJordan" that we see on the retails.
streetsmithcloseupshoe.jpg

I have also noted that Jordan wore 1/2 size bigger...on the foot that was broken..so 13 and 13 1/2

Quote:
Earliest pic of him wearing a pair of Air Jordan 1 Whi/Red/Bla was on Dec 15, 1984 at Chicago in a game against the Sixers.

JordanExtreme: Actually it couldn't have been that game since the cover of the SI was Dec 10th it had to be the Nov 17th game since this picture of Jordan (Below) was in that Dec SI issue
v5k4fk.jpg

Jordanextreme: can you post that image from game #5 Nov 1st against the Denver Nuggets?

Great pics
"People ask me.. you know what I'm saying..If I ever reach the top will I forget about them.So I ask them if I don't reach the top, will yall forget about me"
-Playa Fly​

This is a very informative post. I'm glad to see people doing their homework and investigating the mystery of the Air Jordan I....

I have a request though....Does anyone have pics of MJ wearing any other shoes? I believe he wore some Alpha Forces during the late 80's. It was a white/red shoe with astrap by the toe. I remember seeing pictures awhile back...does anyone have 'em?
"I'm not addicted to shoes, they're addicted to me!"

Back
Top Bottom