Raw Vegan/Fruitarianism Thread

Did it for a week and stopped because it was just too hard living at home. Make sure you get all your vitamins, proteins etc. that you'll be missing.

This is my ideal diet too.

I sort of tried this.
I wasn't all extreme, but I tried eating like a vegetarian.
I gave up because I don't have the income and I had to go to the grocery store like at least once or twice a week.
If you're living in a dorm it's really easy to do this, since everything is just given to you in the cafe.
Also, from what I remember, I would have to eat a +@!% load because vegetables wouldn't fill me up, and you also get hungry more frequently.
Good luck! I plan on doing this sometime later in the future.

You get an abundance of vitamins and minerals eating raw fruits and veggies and your body only needs a small amount of proteins.

Still you can get a lot of high quality amino-acids in the diet if you're into bodybuilding or feel the need for excess protein. Pound for pound, Spirulina has some of the highest protein content in the food world.

I find the hardest part to be finding fresh fruit and veggies at work, turning down cooked food at social events and eating enough to stay satisfied.

I haven't really gone all the way in yet though but from my ventures in the diet.lifestyle, it has been extremely rewarding.

Ate watermelons and cantaloupes for breakfast everyday for a week and only fruits and nice salads throughout the day...on the 4th or 5th day...felt like I emptied everything that was in my intestines/colon. Felt like a new man after that.

I have some much more energy and alertness when I stick to this diet, plus fruit is my favorite food anyway....The perfect meal.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

You get an abundance of vitamins and minerals eating raw fruits and veggies and your body only needs a small amount of proteins.

Still you can get a lot of high quality amino-acids in the diet if you're into bodybuilding or feel the need for excess protein. Pound for pound, Spirulina has some of the highest protein content in the food world.

I find the hardest part to be finding fresh fruit and veggies at work, turning down cooked food at social events and eating enough to stay satisfied.

I haven't really gone all the way in yet though but from my ventures in the diet.lifestyle, it has been extremely rewarding.

Ate watermelons and cantaloupes for breakfast everyday for a week and only fruits and nice salads throughout the day...on the 4th or 5th day...felt like I emptied everything that was in my intestines/colon. Felt like a new man after that.

I have some much more energy and alertness when I stick to this diet, plus fruit is my favorite food anyway....The perfect meal.
Sounds interesting. For a few months now, I've been considering doing a 180 on my current diet, some time soon I'm going to have to make the switch.

Mangoes
Apples

Pears

Cherries

Oranges

Pineapples

Watermelon

Grapes

Bananas

Raspberries

Strawberries

Blue Berries

Black Berries

Peaches 

Nectarines

Coconuts

Kiwi

Cantaloupe

Honey Dew Melons

Tomatoes

Lettuce

Kale

Spinach

Celery

Dandelion Greens

Spirulina

Carrots

Raw Unpasteurized Almonds

Hemp Seeds

Flax Seed

Best stuff on Earth

Props for the vids, will check the rest out later. 
Fruits for breakfast is the way to go, especially if you don't have much time in the mornings. I started having watermelon chunks, raspberries and cantaloupes in the morning for the same reason. Very filling indeed. 

Kale & Quinoa salad for dinner every night changed my life tho. 
pimp.gif

Try buying organic fruits and veggies if you can: http://naturalsociety.com/fruits-and-vegetables-now-less-nutritious/

have a friend who is vegan and we always give him crap about it... respect the people who do it though, i can't imagine not eating meat

Originally Posted by breakin necks

have a friend who is vegan and we always give him crap about it... respect the people who do it though, i can't imagine not eating meat

Word. Had the same mentality couple years back, until I started reading books that Meth had recommended. 

Your body needs a lot of protein don't listen to some of these fools. But yeah the only problem is you don't feel full. I could eat like 6 or 7 cups of veggies and still be kinda hungry. You also have to remember to eats lots of veggies k ow some ppl who only eat fruit

Originally Posted by oO Master Chief Oo

Your body needs a lot of protein don't listen to some of these fools. But yeah the only problem is you don't feel full. I could eat like 6 or 7 cups of veggies and still be kinda hungry. You also have to remember to eats lots of veggies k ow some ppl who only eat fruit

No it doesn't.
High protein diets are being exposed as the cause of a lot of the diseases that plague American's today.

Research has shown that only about 25% of the protein that the average American intakes, is absorbed by the body. The rest is eliminated in your waste.

And if you require extra protein for bodybuilding reasons, there are an abundance of natural sources.

When a high dietary protein intake is consumed, there is an increase in urea excretion, which suggests that amino acid oxidation is increased.[sup][14][/sup] High levels of protein intake increase the activity of branched-chain ketoacid dehydrogenase.[sup][14][/sup] As a result, oxidation is facilitated, and the amino group of the amino acid is excreted to the liver.[sup][14][/sup] This process suggests that excess protein consumption results in protein oxidation and that the protein is excreted.[sup][14][/sup] The body is unable to store excess protein.[sup][14][/sup][sup][19][/sup] Protein is digested into amino acids, which enter the bloodstream. Excess amino acids are converted to other usable molecules by the liver in a process calleddeamination. Deamination converts nitrogen from the amino acid into ammonia, which is converted by the liver into urea in the urea cycle. Excretion of urea is performed by the kidneys. These organs can normally cope with any extra workload, but, if a kidney disease occurs, a decrease in protein will often be prescribed.[sup][20][/sup] Furthermore, as noted, protein provides the body with 4 calories per gram, and when there is excess protein intake, the body will utilize as much of it for energy as possible.[sup][2][/sup] After that stage, the body will produce fat from the excess protein, turning it into fat cells

protein is way over glorified in america, and people think you need way more than you actually do.

I was thinking of switching up my eating habits, and this looks like a cool start to at least clean out my system.

also, would cocoa powder fit in this diet? I heard it has numerous health benefits

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Originally Posted by oO Master Chief Oo

No it doesn't.
High protein diets are being exposed as the cause of a lot of the diseases that plague American's today.

Research has shown that only about 25% of the protein that the average American intakes, is absorbed by the body. The rest is eliminated in your waste.

And if you require extra protein for bodybuilding reasons, there are an abundance of natural sources.

When a high dietary protein intake is consumed, there is an increase in urea excretion, which suggests that amino acid oxidation is increased.[sup][14][/sup] High levels of protein intake increase the activity of branched-chain ketoacid dehydrogenase.[sup][14][/sup] As a result, oxidation is facilitated, and the amino group of the amino acid is excreted to the liver.[sup][14][/sup] This process suggests that excess protein consumption results in protein oxidation and that the protein is excreted.[sup][14][/sup] The body is unable to store excess protein.[sup][14][/sup][sup][19][/sup] Protein is digested into amino acids, which enter the bloodstream. Excess amino acids are converted to other usable molecules by the liver in a process calleddeamination. Deamination converts nitrogen from the amino acid into ammonia, which is converted by the liver into urea in the urea cycle. Excretion of urea is performed by the kidneys. These organs can normally cope with any extra workload, but, if a kidney disease occurs, a decrease in protein will often be prescribed.[sup][20][/sup] Furthermore, as noted, protein provides the body with 4 calories per gram, and when there is excess protein intake, the body will utilize as much of it for energy as possible.[sup][2][/sup] After that stage, the body will produce fat from the excess protein, turning it into fat cells
of course EXCESS protein will be broken down to be used as energy, and excess calories, whether or not they come from protein, can be stored as fat
but what is EXCESSIVE depends on your activity levels and choices of activity as well as your lean body mass.

most americans lead sedentary lives and consume more protein than is needed for it. but for those who don't, a relatively high protein diet is beneficial in numerous ways.

I did it for 2 weeks but like what first poster said... it's tough because the fruits aren't always accessible and you have to eat them when they are ripe. So waiting for the right time to eat the fruits turned me away from the lifestyle.

ive been a vegetarian/ pescatarian for like 5 years now.

i dont miss meat.

lots of veggies, salads, raw is better because cooking can denature the enzymes of vitamins and nutrients.

take a vitamin supplement if youre afraid you wont be getting enough ____________ (fill in blank).

you will notice a difference in your bowel movements and the smell of the gas you pass as well...they literally WONT STINK.

You also have to take processed foods out of your diet (ice cream, cheese, animal milk) to get the full effect.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

of course EXCESS protein will be broken down to be used as energy, and excess calories, whether or not they come from protein, can be stored as fat
but what is EXCESSIVE depends on your activity levels and choices of activity as well as your lean body mass.

most americans lead sedentary lives and consume more protein than is needed for it. but for those who don't, a relatively high protein diet is beneficial in numerous ways.

That's true and as we all know the average American is a coach potato, that indulges in a lot of burgers, steak, hot dogs, chicken etc. Hence the world leading rates of obesity and degenerative diseases which are in-congruent with the such a developed nation.
But like you said for athletes, specifically bodybuilders, there are benefits to high-protein diet...but that protein can be attained from many different non-animal sources, as show in the videos above.

Originally Posted by kbweezy24

also, would cocoa powder fit in this diet? I heard it has numerous health benefits

Some people are for it, some people are against it.
As with any kind of movement, there are different factions with different ideologies and goals. For some people its not natural enough, for others it perfectly fits their regimen and agenda.

Your body is the most complex machine on Earth, experiment with it and see what works for you.

World Famous Fitness Model Nathane Jackson is 90% Raw Vegan and he uses cocao powder in his sports drinks:

profile_jackson_2.jpg

How would you describe your nutrition program?
I would say that I am roughly 90% Raw Vegan, focusing on plant based whole foods.  I also use the amazing products that Vega, Sequel Naturals have on the market.  I don’t take any other supplements as I allow “thy food to be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food.

[h2]Good Sources of Protein[/h2]
Plant based foods are great sources of protein, or amino acids, that help our bodies build and repair tissue. These foods help us synthesize the 8 or 9 essential amino acids that we can’t produce.

This list is not complete and is conservative in the percentage of calories from protein.
31% Spinach
27% Hemp Seeds
20% Broccoli
23% Peas
20% Cauliflower
14% Cabbage
16% Kale
17% Romaine
18% Chickpeas
15% Wild Rice
14% Flax Seeds
14% Sunflower Seeds
12% Celery
11% Blackberries
08% Peaches
07% Oranges

[font='Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

Some of the strongest animals on the earth including elephants and gorillas eat raw plant based diets, building massive muscle and strength on just fruits and vegetables.

The best sources of protein are the amino acids in fresh living plant foods. Bypassing the steps of breaking down the protein into usable amino acids, your body creates the protein more efficiently since the body spends a great deal of energy taking protein (found in animal and cooked foods) and breaking it down to usable form by the body as amino acids.

Other good sources are nuts (higher fat), seeds (higher fat), sea vegetables, and bee pollen.

And in comparison, cooked foods have lowered amounts of usable protein (up to 50% less) since the heat ‘bonds’ most of the proteins together. This makes them harder to synthesize and lowers the actual amount our bodies can use. It also takes longer (and more energy) for our bodies to process ‘cooked’ proteins into amino acids.

By avoiding animal and cooked foods in particular, you not only avoid the antibiotics, hormones, and other chemicals and junk that are fed to cattle today to increase yield and control diseases, but you also allow your body to get the essential amino acids that it synthesizes into protein most efficiently, avoiding the ‘middle man’, protein. Animal protein also starts decaying the minute the animal is killed, further destroying the proteins and amino acids every minute in the cleaning, preparation, storage, transportation and again preparation until it gets to your plate.

The other problem with high protein foods is that they are normally rich in fat as well. It’s hard to find a high protein food that isn’t also naturally high in fat content. There are a few, but not many.
Fresh plant based foods are without comparison the best source of protein for your body.

[table][/table]

A HEALTHY vegan diet not getting enough protein has to be one of the biggest myths in the history of mankind. If I could have a $1 for every time someone ignorantly questions how vegans get their protein source, I would be Bill Gates Jr. by now.

Back
Top Bottom