Real Deal College Football Discussion... no homers please

New Noel Devine article on cnnsi.com:

Quote:
Devine intervention
Hyped RB has traveled difficult road to West Virginia
Posted: Monday July 9, 2007 12:42PM; Updated: Monday July 9, 2007 4:26PM

If it were only about football, Noel Devine would be a household name. Like the cult of nearly 175,000 viewers who have made him a YouTube sensation, you would stare in disbelief at this video as he rips off run after run, unleashing an uncanny elusiveness and speed, and you'd swear those highlights just had to be doctored.

If it were only about football, all that would matter is that the five-star prospect is eligible and is already in Morgantown, W.Va., taking theater and sports management classes and preparing to become another weapon for an already explosive West Virginia offense led by Heisman Trophy candidates Steve Slaton and Pat White.

If it were only about football... But with Devine, it always extends well beyond the 100-yard field. It extends well beyond the 6,894 yards and 92 touchdowns the running back amassed at North Fort Myers (Fla.) High -- and he has come to accept that.

"I can't make everybody like me," he said from his West Virginia dorm, where he's rooming with fellow freshman Brandon Hogan. "No matter what I do there's going to be people who don't like me and then talk bad stuff about me, try to bring me down."

Such is the story of Devine. The spectacular talent who has drawn comparisons to Barry Sanders and Reggie Bush collides with a tragic and sometimes bizarre past that has led Devine to the cusp of being the next big thing -- or the latest can't-miss prospect to, well, miss.

Devine is no stranger to heartbreak and tragedy: both of his parents died of AIDS before he was 12 and he saw a close friend shot to death his sophomore year of high school. He also has two children (Andre, 1, and Desirae, 2) with two different women, and despite the fact that his maternal grandmother is his legal guardian, has lived with a family for the better part of seven years. Most infamously, Devine was nearly adopted by Deion Sanders last August before taking a Cadillac Escalade from Sanders' Dallas-area home, driving it to the airport and leaving it parked at the curb before flying back to Florida.

"I think everything that he's ever loved has either died, left him or wronged him in some form or fashion," said Sanders, who remains close to Devine, sending him daily inspirational text messages.

While the nuggets of his past fuel the message boards and plant the seeds that have caused people to shackle him with the tag of another troubled, ultra-talented teen with no discipline and no direction, those closest to Devine paint a very different picture: one of a misrepresented lightning rod who has simply been dealt a bad hand and made some questionable choices. To his biggest defenders, the so-called bad boy with the gold grill and the braids is anything but bad.

Try misunderstood.

"He's had some stumbles but what people don't see about Noel Devine is that he's a great, great kid," said Ken Burns, the North Fort Myers assistant principal who was a central figure in helping Devine qualify academically for college. "Once you really get to know him you just fall in love with him."

For the record, Devine doesn't do drugs or drink alcohol. He has never been arrested and thrives on being involved in the lives of his two children. He is also an unusually shy kid who typically shuns interviews. (Devine has been burned by the media before, including his local newspaper, the Fort Myers News-Press, which put him on its Top 10 "Turkeys of the Year" for fleeing Sanders.) He would rather spend his free time fishing, which he did on a vacation in Indiana before reporting to West Virginia last week.

"He doesn't have the trademark of a young, troubled teen with heinous crimes or stuff like that," said Sanders. "Having two kids and being 18 years old? I don't condone that at all, but if you really look at it as a whole, this kid is very quiet and very soft-spoken."

But few see that quiet side of Devine. Instead, many choose to focus on his past, his mistakes and his decision to stay largely out of the media spotlight. It has all added to the mystery surrounding Devine that prompted one recruiting expert to label him "an enigma within an enigma." This uncertainty makes every conversation about Devine sway to what many expect will be his inevitable failure.

"People get so locked in on [his past] in spite of the kid and they are just waiting for something bad to come on, to happen or something bad to be said and that's what they look for," Burns said.

Devine has become accustomed to dealing with his reputation, whether he believes it's warranted or not. He prefers not to discuss the events that led him to leave Sanders' 30,000-square-foot mansion, saying: "I have my reasons. I wouldn't just look at him like a superstar, 'Oh my God, Deion Sanders.' Any other kid would have jumped on it because it's him and they probably want to be rich. But I'm not like that." And he understands he is in a position where the praise and criticism often flow too freely. Devine says he tries not to put too much stock into either, realizing "people are going to hate."

"I've been used to it but I think it's mostly because I have two kids, and I don't know, [people] probably feel that I got too much freedom," he said. "But I take care of whatever I have to take care of."

That includes making sure he shot down the naysayers by qualifying for college.

Struggles in the classroom and an inability to achieve a standardized test score that would allow him to play as a college freshman led many to believe Devine was headed for prep school. But he surprised recruiting experts and Sanders -- who had been advising Devine but was not involved in his final decision between WVU, Alabama and Florida State -- by giving a verbal commitment to West Virginia the day before National Signing Day in February. "I think they have a good chance of getting that ring on their finger this year," he said of the Mountaineers. But Devine then pulled another surprise by not signing a letter of intent the following day, waiting until March 30.

While he waited to sign with WVU, Devine put his academic studies into overdrive with the help of Burns, North Fort Myers coach James Iandoli and principal Kim Lunger. On the afternoon of April 21, he received word that on his third try his ACT score had risen to a point where he could qualify for NCAA eligibility with his 2.5 GPA.

There would be no prep school for Devine.

"I wanted him to keep taking the ACT and Noel wasn't really that interested in prep school, so we just kept focusing on the SATs and the ACTs and let the chips fall where they may," said Iandoli. "A lot of people didn't think he had the mental fortitude, [but] I always knew he did."

Devine's abilities on the field have never been in doubt. "Football is the least of my worries with Noel," Sanders said. "Football-wise, I haven't seen the gift he has in a lot of NFL players in my life, and that's saying a lot."

Devine says Mountaineers coach Rich Rodriguez has already told the 5-foot-8, 175-pounder with 4.4 speed that he will be used on kick returns, as a slot receiver and in the backfield along with Slaton. "But I'm not going to keep that in my head," Devine said. "I'm going to work for it. But I'm not sure they tell everybody else that."

If it were just about football, all we would care about is the nightmare Big East coaches will face with Devine in WVU blue and gold.

But as with everything involving Devine, off-the-field questions linger as he ventures away from Fort Myers for the first time since Sanders' ill-fated attempt to bring him in last year. Being responsible. Making smart decisions. Not being influenced by others. This is what concerns Devine's inner circle. But Devine thrives on overcoming your preconceived notions of what he's going to do.

"That's my thing," Devine said. "That's what I like to do is prove everybody wrong... the people who doubt me, that's what I work for."

Some will watch, waiting to see something sensational. Some will be waiting to see something scandalous. But of course, we'll all be watching, because with Noel Devine, you simply just can't look away.

University of South Central :smile:
smile.gif
I love my 4's, Flight Club is kinda high but I would love some more.
Dom Kennedy
Soon​

there is no denying noel devine's talent.. we'll just have to wait and see..
[color=003300]E[/color][color=255025]q[/color][color=6e8b6e]u[/color][color=92a892]i[/color][color=b7c5b7]p[/color][color=dbe3db]o[/color]TR[color=ffb7b7]I[/color][color=ff9292]c[/color][color=ff6e6e]o[/color][color=ff4949]l[/color][color=ff2525]o[/color][color=ff0000]r[/color]​
T E A M M I D W E S T
Reppin the 260
FLO holdin down Indiana​

As far as the Big XII goes...

I see Texas taking the south with Texas A&M not far behind... OSU in 3.

Nebraska will win the north...no question. Chase Daniels folds easily and I don't see him carrying the whole missouri team to a north championship.
TEAM corNhuskers​

I can't wait to see Devine hit the filed. Thank god he got away from Miami, even though the cats from WVU seem to be getting into alot of trouble themselves. I hope he keeps his nose clean and focuses on football these next 3 years. He could be a very special player that is on another level.
TEAM CHICAGO BULLS
SIX-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS: 1991.1992.1993.1996.1997.1998​

Quote:
the Pac 10 was severly underated last season rite?
Cal, UCLA, & Oregon O, uh huh ...

Check an out-of-conference schedule...compare it to ANY SEC team...them, get back to me...

Quote:
and the way u speakin, the Pac 10's crown jewel team USC did win it all last season correct?
ed unranked, finished 10-4, #22 in the BCS poll, with a bowl game victory...

Quote:
correct me if im wrong, but the Pac 10 had a 1 win team in their conference, rite? but hey, they beat Washington
even though :wink:
wink.gif
:lol:
laugh.gif

Quote:
Pac 10s best teams : USC, Cal & Oregon St. 11-2 10-3 10 -3 respectively the next best record is 7-6
here comes more Icons for you

Again...thank you for proving my point...the Pac 10 is strong top to bottom (10 teams have won the conference in the past 14 years)...while the SEC is the Pamela Anderson of college football...

Quote:
SEC best teams:
Florida (your National Champ), LSU, Auburn, 13 -1, 11- 2 , 11 - 2 respectively ...
second tier
Arkansas, Tennessee & Georgia were 10 - 4, 9 - 4, 9 -4.
:D
happy.gif

Quote:
Maybe U meant to compare the Pac 10 to the ACC not the SEC. and maybe you meant to say the Pac 10 is nowhere near underated until the 2nd half of that conference can have some better showings this yr.

Maybe you can come with facts and figures and not the same old garbage the comes out of all talking heads that have financial stakes in making sure that the SEC fans are happy...

One more thing

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Real Deal College Football Discussion... no homers please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
was the name of the thread, but of course you still stepped foot in here with your usual Pac 10 is the best conference hype
The FIRST statement I will cite to backup my claim:s in the Pac-10.

Until now, this has largely been a back and forth between fans of the two conferences. After all, surely Mike Bellotti or Urban Meyer or Steve Spurrier aren't stupid enough to buy into this whole thing. And they're not. But leave it to Louisiana to find a coach stupid enough to buy into the whole thing. Yes, LSU coach Les Miles has called out USC. Here are the highlights:

"I would like nothing better than to play USC for the [national] title," Miles reportedly said in a speech to a heavily pro-LSU gathering in New Orleans. "I can tell you this, that they have a much easier road to travel. They're going to play real knockdown drag-outs with UCLA and Washington, Cal-Berkeley, Stanford -- some real juggernauts -- and they're going to end up, it would be my guess, in some position so if they win a game or two, that they'll end up in the title [game].
"I would like that path for us. I think the SEC provides much stiffer competition."

Now, to be fair, he was speaking at a booster event. But if Miles even believes a shred of what he says, he is even a bigger idiot than I thought (which is hardly even possibly, considering he lives in Louisiana by choice). Lets take a look at the schedules, which provides LSU with "much stiffer competition."
USC:
Idaho

@Nebraska

Washington State

@Washington

Stanford

Arizona

@Notre Dame

@Oregon

Oregon State

@Cal

@Arizona State

UCLA

That's seven bowl teams on the schedule--and WSU and Arizona could very easily be in bowls this year. Although they do play Idaho, the more than make up for it by going to Notre Dame and to Nebraska--that's as tough a non-conference schedule as anyone plays. In conference, they go to Cal--a 10 win team last year, and have to play at Oregon, which is one of the toughest places in the country to play (just ask Lloyd Carr). Not to mention at Arizona State, which should play up to their talent with Dennis Erickson at the helm. Its no wonder that ESPN ranked SC's schedule as the fourth toughest schedule in the country next year.

Lets contrast that with LSU's schedule:

@Miss State
Virginia Tech
Middle Tennessee
South Carolina
@Tulane
Florida
@Kentucky
Auburn
@Alabama
Louisiana Tech
@Ole Miss
Arkansas

Wow. Unlike SC, LSU's toughest games, Florida, Auburn, Va. Tech, and Arkansas are all at home. Only reasonably tough road game is at Alabama. While SC was busy scheduling Notre Dame and Nebraska, LSU wanted to make sure it had a relatively easy road by going with Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, and a "road" game at Tulane (add Ole Miss and Miss State, and that is worse than Stanford, Washington, and Idaho). LSU has five cupcakes to USC's three, and all of LSU's tough games are at home, while all SC's are on the road.

Of course, I invite Mr. Miles to back up his words regarding the Pac-10. Tennessee and Georgia are currently scheduling Pac-10 teams. I invite LSU to come to Eugene or Pullman or Berkeley (don't tell me about Arizona, LSU fans. That was like when Oregon played Mississippi State). If you come out west and win a few games, then talk away. Until then , shut up and enjoy playing Ole Miss and Vanderbilt all the time.

And...the second:

To use the most commonly-maligned example of the conferences Coach Miles cited, the Pac-10 is often disparaged as a one-team league . . . "Southern California and the nine dwarves." Similar animadversions were hurled at the S.E.C. during Florida's run of dominance under Steve Spurrier and they held no more water then than they do now.
Does the Pac-10 contain more than one or two good teams? From 2000 to 2006, six different teams won or shared the Pac-10 title in a seven-year span. Eight squads from the Pacific Coast conference have won at least part of a league crown in the last decade and all 10 teams in the West Coast B.C.S. league have captured a conference title in the last 14 seasons.

Meanwhile, six of the last seven Southeastern Conference championships have been won by the league's three dominant teams: Georgia (2002 and 2005), Florida (2000 and 2006), and L.S.U. (2001 and 2003). Nine consecutive S.E.C. championship games have been decided by double-digit margins and half of the league's member institutions have not won a conference title more recently than George Bush's first year in the White House . . . the first George Bush, that is.

All of the arguments flowing like sewage out of everyone on the east-coast goes up in flames when you actually look at what is happening instead of assuming that the best football is being played because they are having the best cocktail party...

BTW...the Sporting News named Autzen Stadium as the toughest place to play in the nation last year...so...I guess the Pac-10 really is the toughest conference...

Uh-oh...another argument down the drain...

JM

jmadidas2001@earthlink.net

as a UCLA homer and someone that always backs up in the pac-10 in ANYSPORTS no matter who the team is

SEC>>>>>>>>>>>>PAC-10, the pac-10 is not as bad as people make it seem its getting better but more teams have to be constant for it to even to be talked about with the SEC

TEAMlateNIGHT
>WE NEVER SLEEP<
Lets go Bulls, UCLA,Dodgers and Cowboys!

I am wondering about FSU quarterback spot? I hope it is xavier lee. We really need to get back this year and play well. Everyone has slept on us and said bowden is old news.
Team Yankees- An A-Bomb from A-Rod

Team Cowboys- Romo, bringing it back to D

Quote:
I am wondering about FSU quarterback spot? I hope it is xavier lee.
ing job at QB is still up for grabs.... both Drew and Xa had an even spring, performance wise , both doing well , learning the new offense , but neither has taken the lead as starter , Jimbo has wiped the slate clean with the entire offense as far as earning starting position , thus the change (at this point) from receiver ( Carr losing out to P. Parker ) and also at center , we have this kid McMahon , who has knocked John Frady out of his 2 year starting position.. The 6' 7" Caz Pourowski moved from TE to left tackle , and older starters being pressed everyday to keep their weight down and intensity up..

For all the FSU fans out there , I truly believe this new staff is what the program needed ... they are all about toughness ... the workouts have been 200% more intense , more weights , more running , stricter rules ( the ole Chuck Amato locker checks :lol:
laugh.gif
) and best of all our O-Line has lost over 200 pounds and with Jim Trickett in their heads , they are guaranteed to be meaner or they will be riding the pine..

I am not going to predict National Championship , although i don't think ACC Champs is out of the question , i am looking for 2-3 losses , seeing as we have the 2nd toughest schedule in the nation.

I mean really everyone , even non-FSU fans know that the talent is there , always has been , FSU is PROVEN to draft more NFL players than ANY other college team in the country , and Seminole Draftees have STAYING power in the bigs ... that being said , there has been a problem at our program for some time (Jeff Bowden), and he is now gone... These new coaches are proven in the realm of NCAA football... Hopefully i made some other FSU fans feel good :wink:
wink.gif
...... this is the time of year for 100% optimism , we get to be excited , we have no losses , its a good feeling to know that we have a coaching staff that will actually give our team a CHANCE to win....

And , sorry for the homerism ... i just love the 'Noles :smokin
smokin.gif

Quote:
both Drew and Xa had an even spring, performance wise , both doing well , learning the new offense , but neither has taken the lead as starter , Jimbo has wiped the slate clean with the entire offense as far as earning starting position
:wow:
eek.gif
:x
sick.gif
:x
sick.gif

[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

The Andre Berto Movement:Get Down or Lay Down

Can we talk SEC East football for a moment here?

Can all 6 of these teams make a bowl game? You know the top 4 are in. Vandy brings back a whole load of starters and plays some cupcakes OOC. Kentucky will beast on offense, the opposite on defense, and they've got cupcakes too. I think it happens.

Who wins this thing?

South Carolina brings back their entire defense. Blake Mitchell is a bum, can Spurrier do enough with that offense? They have to play @ Georgia, @ LSU, and @ Tennessee, which I think will derail them.

Florida and UGA are both very young this year. I think both are looking at 2008 to have big years. That won't stop them from making a run this year, though. Depends on who steps up this year at QB, Tebow or Stafford. Can Tebow throw the football when people are actually expecting it?

I guess Tennessee is the favorite right now. Their schedule shapes up nicely, no Auburn or LSU this year. Does Erik Ainge stay out of the Kool Aid?

Gunna, where you at on this one?

Vols are Good Money as long as Arian is ready to put in work. He gotta carry the load. Coker can do his thang but he not gonna get us over 100 yrds every game.

Ainge is Good. To me, Eric Berry has got to at a high level his Frosh yr and its hard to rely on that. I think we have the best Free Safety in the country. and Jerod Mayo is gonna be like Jon Beason with the move to MLB.

I can see us winning the East because of *gasp* Ainge. and I never thought I'd ever say that, during his career. Vols can beat the Gators at the swamp with the Faster LB we got goin out there.

Im really interested in seeing if Kentucky can steal some games from the big SEC schools. :pimp:
pimp.gif

[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

Quote:
Hopefully i made some other FSU fans feel good

For the moment being yeah, but I still want to see what the finished product looks like before the season begins. Hopefully with a new offensive coordinator in place, they can go back to the old high scoring FSU teams from the past. Time will tell though.

Quote:
even non-FSU fans know that the talent is there , always has been , FSU is PROVEN to draft more NFL players than ANY other college team in the country
Team
DC/MD/VA
Cough up a lung..Where Im From!!
O.G. Member #5​

Quote:
even non-FSU fans know that the talent is there , always has been , FSU is PROVEN to draft more NFL players than ANY other college team in the country
THIS IS LOUIS VUITTON DIME NIGHT
SO WE GON' DO EVERYTHING THAT KAN LIKE
8/28

Hefney is the business. I'll admit to that much.

I'm still salty over Berry leaving the state of Georgia. You think they'll really need him this year? I'm sure he could handle it, though. Might as well throw him out at WR some. He's got that kind of talent and the Vols aren't solid there.

UGA damn well better not lose to Kentucky or Vandy this year... >:
mad.gif

Quote:
I'm still salty over Berry leaving the state of Georgia. You think they'll really need him this year?
ing CB. Stewart personally :x
sick.gif

Duece King & sunonox34.....

I stand corrected .. we havent drafted the most players , and dont have the most active players on roster , but we do sit on the top 10 in those catagories, but havent finished top ten in the rankings for years....

I know you kind of got the gist on what i was saying , with all the talent , why arent we getting the W's (coaching?- i say yes)

on a side note there was a study produced , for recruiting purposes , that took all college programs over the last 25 years and dissected the whole process of making a football player into a pro from college .. it took into account things like length of NFL career , salary , draft position , pro performance , ect , and .. i dont have all the specifics , but it was done by a firm on Wall Street ( kind of like a stock report--"which school do i send my kid to if i want him to go pro")
Well , needless to say , FSU beat out all 50 other major college football programs by far.. hope that doesnt start some crazy argement , but its true.. , and at this time i cant find the exact source but i think the study was conducted in 2005.

EDIT : i found it....click the link below

Dow Jones college football success index

Auctions-Lebron Rookie jerseys ..click here !!! !
TEAM SEMINOLES
antone smith , greg carr , xavier lee , andre fluellen , geno hayes , myron rolle , marcus ball​

Gunna,

It's gunna be hard winning the SEC East when you lose to Vandy in Knoxville for the 2nd time in a row.

Quote:
It's gunna be hard winning the SEC East when you lose to Vandy in Knoxville for the 2nd time in a row.
:lol:
laugh.gif
...and it begins. We'll have to make an official SEC post once the season gets closer.

Gunna...I forgot that Fellows and Morley got booted. Damn...Tennessee is hurting just as bad as UGA is in the secondary. We might see some scoring in the league this year...nah. You know the defenses will be legit, as always.

Quote:
...and it begins. We'll have to make an official SEC post once the season gets closer.

Haha of course. Sorry what we did to Thomas Brown last year. How is his rehab looking right now?

Back
Top Bottom