How do you become a real estate agent?
how long does it take?
Whats your anual salary?
thanks in advance

How do you become a real estate agent?
how long does it take?
Whats your anual salary?
thanks in advance

All of that probably depends on the state you live in. Also, most real estate jobs are commission based so how much money you make depends on how hard you work.

All of that probably depends on the state you live in. Also, most real estate jobs are commission based so how much money you make depends on how hard you work.

^ "how hard you work" is kinda deceiving. you could be putting in a lot of time and effort and not make the sale (or purchase) which means you dont get squat.

All I know is, referrals are everything in that line of work. My real estate broker made BANK off of me and my friends with little effort. In a 6 month span she put 4 of us in a new homes with a combined purchase price of almost $3MM. My buddy found her first and then referred all of us to her (I will say that she is good at what she does). I know she had a buncha other clients as well, but damn... just from 1 group of friends in 6 months she took home damn near $90K in commissions (she and her husband own her own brokerage so they arent kickin anythin back to the house).

^ "how hard you work" is kinda deceiving. you could be putting in a lot of time and effort and not make the sale (or purchase) which means you dont get squat.

All I know is, referrals are everything in that line of work. My real estate broker made BANK off of me and my friends with little effort. In a 6 month span she put 4 of us in a new homes with a combined purchase price of almost $3MM. My buddy found her first and then referred all of us to her (I will say that she is good at what she does). I know she had a buncha other clients as well, but damn... just from 1 group of friends in 6 months she took home damn near $90K in commissions (she and her husband own her own brokerage so they arent kickin anythin back to the house).

It depends on the state.

I am licensed in Illinois and I had to take a 45 hour course then pass a test.  Once I did that I had to take the test that was administered by the state.  After I passed that I received my license.  I had it all done in a month.  The class took a week.  If you do not have that kind of time, there are many options.  I had to wait a couple weeks to take the test.

There is no salary.  I work on straight commission.  It is what you make it.  When the market was good I was an idiot and worked hard enough to party the way I wanted.  Now the market is tough and I am killing myself with work but I am having my best year ever.  It is really hard to work on only commission especially in a market like the one we are in but if you know people and have the drive you can do very well.  If I was not paying off so much debt I would be having a great year.

It depends on the state.

I am licensed in Illinois and I had to take a 45 hour course then pass a test.  Once I did that I had to take the test that was administered by the state.  After I passed that I received my license.  I had it all done in a month.  The class took a week.  If you do not have that kind of time, there are many options.  I had to wait a couple weeks to take the test.

There is no salary.  I work on straight commission.  It is what you make it.  When the market was good I was an idiot and worked hard enough to party the way I wanted.  Now the market is tough and I am killing myself with work but I am having my best year ever.  It is really hard to work on only commission especially in a market like the one we are in but if you know people and have the drive you can do very well.  If I was not paying off so much debt I would be having a great year.

real estate broker vs salesperson.
im studyin in ca to take the broker test..not to pursue as a career but as a side hustle. parents buy/flip a new property every 5-10 years so commision off that and my own properties would make it well worth it.

is it true in CA you need 2 years full time work experience before u can apply for broker license test? :/

im studyin in ca to take the broker test..not to pursue as a career but as a side hustle. parents buy/flip a new property every 5-10 years so commision off that and my own properties would make it well worth it.

is it true in CA you need 2 years full time work experience before u can apply for broker license test? :/

Heat23...
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by ArmenExchange

is it true in CA you need 2 years full time work experience before u can apply for broker license test?
:/

Or have a Bachelors Degree.

Originally Posted by ArmenExchange

is it true in CA you need 2 years full time work experience before u can apply for broker license test?
:/

Or have a Bachelors Degree.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I just had some questions. What do you guys think of being a part-time real estate agent? I've been thinking of doing it on the side down the road - perhaps after finishing an allied health program at my local community college. Is it worth it? I'm told that to get the most of the job, you'd have to be in it full time. I totally agree as you can potentially attract more clients and they won't see someone who's in it only half the time. But is there a chance for those part-timers? Can you work as part of a team?

Hopefully we can keep this thread alive. I recently just passed my California Real Estate License test and am currently looking to see what the next moves are. From all my research, I've heard its extremely tough to do the job part-time. As with any other job, you want to dedicate as much time and effort into the industry as you can. 

Let me share a little about exactly where I'm at right now. I've been speaking with Keller Williams to see if I can get any type of training. I'm looking for any opportunity I can get to build a foundation into Real Estate. They have an 18-week program called "Ignite" which encompasses all the basics and fundamentals of RE. I should complete the course by the end of this year.

I can't fully commit myself to going full time. I am still looking into finding a full time job in my current profession. Ideally, I'd like to have at least 6-8 months of reserves, and then dedicate my time and effort into real estate. If I created a 3 year plan, it would look something like this:

Currently (2015): Obtain my license (October 2015) and join KW as a "Licensed Agent". 

Year 1 (2016): Save $$$ working at my current job. Meanwhile, understand the market and hopefully show open houses. Create a marketing and business plan for myself for 2017.

Year 2 (2017): Sell 5 homes.

Year 3 (2018): Completely transition into becoming a Full Time agent.

For all the veterans, what do you think of this plan? I'm trying to be as realistic as I can. I also know its good to get a head start on accumulating knowledge, networking, and finding your mentors.

Any input is appreciated. 

Last edited:
Glad to hear some input about the part-time route. From the looks of your plan, it looks pretty solid. But I'd still wait for a veteran's opinion as I know nothing.

I feel like we're in the same situation. I would say, complete your allied health program. That is your career path at the moment. So do the best you can and don't abandon it. Follow through. I'm not sure if this is the best advice, but I personally would suggest of thinking of Real Estate as your "bigger picture" in life. The way I see it, RE can be used to motivate you if your health program doesn't work out or if you get tired of it.

I would say definitely try to obtain your license now, while you have the time and resources. What state do you live in?

Last edited:
I live in Cali. And yeah they offer the classes to be eligible to get a license at my local community college. I think it's just 3 courses for the sales license and several more for the broker option. It's been on my mind. Real estate as the bigger picture huh? Interesting thought. What made you think that way, out of curiosity?

A lot of my friends who have been in the game were either born into it or have started their career early. I'm just saying for the average, uneducated (but curious) real estate salesperson like us who come from a completely different field of education/work experiences, take care of everything that you have currently. I'm not sure what your financial/work situation is right now, but for me I can't afford to leave my current job. Plus there are also personal goals I would like to accomplish with my current work. But, if you don't have kids, car note, mortgage, loans, bills, etc. then I would definitely say devote your time to it now.

The reason behind my thought is because I've had conversations with colleagues and friends who are doing great in their careers right now. But they're searching for something else, even though they don't know what it is. My buddy who is a strength coach loves his career in Athletics, but tells me he can't see himself doing it forever. He says one day, he'll retire, burnout or he'll have a change of heart with his current role. For me, RE might be that alternative. Hope that made some sort of sense.

How passionate are you about your school?

Last edited:

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I just had some questions. What do you guys think of being a part-time real estate agent? I've been thinking of doing it on the side down the road - perhaps after finishing an allied health program at my local community college. Is it worth it? I'm told that to get the most of the job, you'd have to be in it full time. I totally agree as you can potentially attract more clients and they won't see someone who's in it only half the time. But is there a chance for those part-timers? Can you work as part of a team?
Not an agent, but do marketing for our team, so I'm in it every day.

Being a part time agent is VERY hard. You're expected to show houses when everyone else is off work, not to mention communicating with other agents, drawing up contracts, etc.

It's a good idea to have some kind of reserves before getting into the field because most of our agents didn't get their first sale until they were with us about 3-4 months and that's WITH a full marketing plan, a fully dedicated site, and scripts to help prospect. As an agent, if you're not on the phone prospecting at least 2 hours a day you're going to have a hard time finding clients. Then once you're in contact with them you need systems to be able to stay in contact with them at least once a month whether it's a phone call, email, or mailer.

We're with KW and while the splits aren't the cheapest for newer agents, the classes are great! You'll definitely get a lot out of it if you put a lot in to it since Gary Keller literally wrote the book on building a Real Estate business.

I'd recommend seeing if you can join someone elses team that can help mentor you and keep you accountable. One of our agents kept her part time waitress job at nights and weekends until she got her feet under her and made Real Estate her "full time" job since one sale was equal to 2-3 months at her job.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom