Real Estate Agents come in...

Not an agent, but do marketing for our team, so I'm in it every day.

Being a part time agent is VERY hard. You're expected to show houses when everyone else is off work, not to mention communicating with other agents, drawing up contracts, etc.

It's a good idea to have some kind of reserves before getting into the field because most of our agents didn't get their first sale until they were with us about 3-4 months and that's WITH a full marketing plan, a fully dedicated site, and scripts to help prospect. As an agent, if you're not on the phone prospecting at least 2 hours a day you're going to have a hard time finding clients. Then once you're in contact with them you need systems to be able to stay in contact with them at least once a month whether it's a phone call, email, or mailer.

We're with KW and while the splits aren't the cheapest for newer agents, the classes are great! You'll definitely get a lot out of it if you put a lot in to it since Gary Keller literally wrote the book on building a Real Estate business.

I'd recommend seeing if you can join someone elses team that can help mentor you and keep you accountable. One of our agents kept her part time waitress job at nights and weekends until she got her feet under her and made Real Estate her "full time" job since one sale was equal to 2-3 months at her job.

Just a thought.
Great input here. What type of marketing work do you do?

Do you see yourself ever becoming an agent?

Last edited:
Lots of people have told me I should, but I have a lot of other things going on right now, so I haven't made time to study or take the exam. Maybe in a couple years if things start slowing down a bit.
What type of marketing work do you do?
Print marketing, non-MLS property syndication & advertising, creating and editing video content for our agents & properties, print marketing, outbound marketing, reputation management, Analytics, manage websites, online presence (social media, email marketing, newsletters, etc), and coordinating content creation with our team. I used to do our SEO, adwords, and PPC too, but we've since outsourced that part.

The amount of stuff you can do is virtually limitless, so you just have to pick and choose.

Honestly, from a marketing perspective, the worst agents I see are the ones who think they can do it all themselves. After getting some revenue under your belt and hiring an admin to manage the paperwork, hire someone to do your marketing that can dedicate a lot of time to it. Unless you know what you're doing, it's pretty easy to dedicate a lot of time to it and do a terrible job.

A lot of my friends who have been in the game were either born into it or have started their career early. I'm just saying for the average, uneducated (but curious) real estate salesperson like us who come from a completely different field of education/work experiences, take care of everything that you have currently. I'm not sure what your financial/work situation is right now, but for me I can't afford to leave my current job. Plus there are also personal goals I would like to accomplish with my current work. But, if you don't have kids, car note, mortgage, loans, bills, etc. then I would definitely say devote your time to it now.

The reason behind my thought is because I've had conversations with colleagues and friends who are doing great in their careers right now. But they're searching for something else, even though they don't know what it is. My buddy who is a strength coach loves his career in Athletics, but tells me he can't see himself doing it forever. He says one day, he'll retire, burnout or he'll have a change of heart with his current role. For me, RE might be that alternative. Hope that made some sort of sense.

How passionate are you about your school?
Appreciate the insight. I think I got basic thought process. Basically, it would be wise to have something to fall back on if current passions or "passions" burn out. I guess I can say I'm passionate about my education and career I've chosen or plan on pursuing, but only time will tell if I am truly satisfied. This kinda reminds me of something or someone that said today's generation has access to do more than just one thing for the rest of their lives whereas in previous generations, they just pretty much stuck to one kind of job. It's got me thinking about things...

posting to keep up wit this thread..

just started to study for my oregons brokers license and have a mentor thats top 50 in the nation, scooped my first house last year, and now just recently came up on a flip property that closed last week which was with my old boss and now my partner on this deal so its a wake up call to get back into the industry..

my mentor/partner also told me when I was working with him and it totally stuck in my head but "if you're going to sell anything, sell the highest ticketed item..."

also..having a big network and building relationships is a must so if you are a natural people person then there is no limit

if you sell one home a month that averages $200k and you're getting 2.5% = $5k

if you're doing it full time I don't see how you CAN'T close one home a month average... which translates = $60k salary gross

my cousin who does it part time (while working corporate finance, and owning a cross fit gym) closes 10-12 deals per year...

Back
Top Bottom