Real Talk: Are german whips maintenance really that expensive? BMW VW AUDI HEADS

507
10
Joined Mar 19, 2006
so im in the market for a new whip, and im feelin the 07 a4, im thinkin okay got a nice lil turbo,awd,nice exterior nice features.

but then it hits me that ive always heard german car maintenance is triple the amount of japanese whips.

so all of you german car owners come chime in please and let me know,

this is going to be my first german car if i purchase it,

ive alwasy been jdm all day everyday if maintenace really does whoop my butt

ill prob just end up coppin a black on black g35 coupe and throw some work vsxx on them joints and call it a day
 
6,948
356
Joined Jul 20, 2007
Audi's have been catching my eye also. Something about them. I was looking at an A8. As a future purchase in the next year or two. Not sure yet. I likethem, as long as they come with a warranty, they can break as much as they please.
 
1,921
104
Joined Feb 7, 2006
Japanese cars are definitely cheaper to maintain, but they just aren't the same in terms of comfort and style as European cars in general. As long as youdon't want to go all out in modding your car, then a German car, or any other European car, shouldn't be too hard to maintain.
 
31,492
1,909
Joined Sep 16, 2003
Its not so much about them being hard to maintain as it is about cost, I suppose it could be considered harder to maintain because of increased cost.
 
120
150
Joined Apr 1, 2001
The thing is, OEM and aftermarket parts for European cars are pretty expensive... coupled with the fact that unless your really handy with a wrench and knowyour way around car, you would most likely have to take it to either a dealer or a specialist to make sure its maintained correctly will def add up.

I've also heard most euro cars get really complicated when it comes to electrical wiring as well.
 
507
10
Joined Mar 19, 2006
Originally Posted by saiyan Xtreme

The thing is, OEM and aftermarket parts for European cars are pretty expensive... coupled with the fact that unless your really handy with a wrench and know your way around car, you would most likely have to take it to either a dealer or a specialist to make sure its maintained correctly will def add up.

I've also heard most euro cars get really complicated when it comes to electrical wiring as well.
exactly, i alwasy heara bout them failing out electrical shortages and stuff around 50-60k

im like ugh that sucks, im pretty handy when it comes to cars, i can do most bolt ons and oil changes and stuff, mods are always costly just because they areunnecceasry so

they would always be impractical which i dont care for, mods on whips make them diff so thats fine, im just talking about how ive heard an oil change for a japwhip is 30 bucks,

then a german is $130. i baby all my whips but still i dont want one thing to go wrong and be out of a grand you know?

but peep this something i found online



^what really made me look into a4's

but still g's have that power/looks/handeling and class that i look for

 
541
11
Joined Jul 25, 2004
Im looking for a E39, what are you guy's thoughts on this car? will these be pretty expensive to maintain?

 
2,706
12
Joined May 3, 2007
the little motors in the front windows of my sisters A4 got messed up, $500 each to fix. that would never happen in a *** car.
 
507
10
Joined Mar 19, 2006
Originally Posted by infamousod

the little motors in the front windows of my sisters A4 got messed up, $500 each to fix. that would never happen in a *** car.
yikes thats pretty costly man, thats true front window motors dont usually go out for a while, and 500 each to fix? wow helll naah
 
541
11
Joined Jul 25, 2004
Originally Posted by infamousod

the little motors in the front windows of my sisters A4 got messed up, $500 each to fix. that would never happen in a *** car.
same prob with my cousins E36 after 65k
it eventually started tohave major problems and he had to sell it because it was racking up too much debt.
 
2,706
12
Joined May 3, 2007
exactly, don't buy luxury unless you can afford luxury. that's what got the country in this mess in the first place, everyone here in Miami driving adamn Porche or Maserati, I know this one guy making close to 90k a year driving an '05 Accord Coupe (26k MSRP I figure), sounds weird at first butthat's what he should be driving.
 
3,659
1,569
Joined Apr 4, 2003
Ok so, I have one friend that has owned a VWGTI and an M3, according to him he has had minimal maintenance costs but did have some electrical issues. Two of myother friends have owned a 330ci, and 335i, as well as a 325, all of them have had electrical problems, one of them had all the lights turn off on them in themiddle of the night driving home on a parkway (all issues were covered under warranty). However, they still loved the car. Ok. Had another two friends own 7series's one a 745 from 03 and one an 08. The one that owned an 03 brought it back to the dealer so many times that the dealer wound up extending hiswarranty to 100k because of the hassle, he was there dozens of times for that car. So far the one that owns the 08 has not had any issues. I also know someonethat has owned a 6, he wound up trading it in for a porsche because it left him stranded way too many times (which disappoints me since i love that car). Last,I had the opportunity to speak with a BMW Master technician, and he told me and I quote "I would never buy a BMW, they aren't made that well."Personally I love the way BMW's look, and they definitely perform very very well, but I really don't know if their looks and performance haveoutweighed their reliability, and electrical issues. And to answer the initial question i think they are expensive to maintain outside of the warranty, but iwould invest in an extended warranty if you can on either of those brands if they offer it.
 

lurkin2long

Banned
8,637
52
Joined Nov 29, 2007


OP do it, im lookin to do the same..........prices on em are good. Ive been seein a lot of 09 models around my way as of also too.

a4>3 series
 

lurkin2long

Banned
8,637
52
Joined Nov 29, 2007
Originally Posted by killaotaku

Im looking for a E39, what are you guy's thoughts on this car? will these be pretty expensive to maintain?
who cares...............those are CLASSIC
 
507
10
Joined Mar 19, 2006
yeah man, that joint is fire but i dont know if its really worth it in the end,

ive owned two japanese cars so far and never ever had to take them into the shop besides my oil change and check ups,

i really like that, i like driving my cars not just driving them to the shop to have little things fixed

im big on realiability, thats one of the biggest factors when it comes into whips if you ask me.

what good is a car that looks amazing but doesnt do its purpose, plus

<
 

lurkin2long

Banned
8,637
52
Joined Nov 29, 2007
Originally Posted by ReRetroMe

yeah man, that joint is fire but i dont know if its really worth it in the end,

ive owned two japanese cars so far and never ever had to take them into the shop besides my oil change and check ups,

i really like that, i like driving my cars not just driving them to the shop to have little things fixed

im big on realiability, thats one of the biggest factors when it comes into whips if you ask me.

what good is a car that looks amazing but doesnt do its purpose, plus

infiniti interior>audi
youre right, and japanese cars are great.

but gotdamnit.................german whips are sexy.
 
31,492
1,909
Joined Sep 16, 2003
Originally Posted by infamousod

the little motors in the front windows of my sisters A4 got messed up, $500 each to fix. that would never happen in a *** car.

That's not true, it does happen. For comparison I drive a 96 Nissan and replacing the motor cost $404- $452 depending on which side. Granted that dependson if you're fixing it or replacing it. That's just for the motor itself.
 
10,898
19
Joined Mar 25, 2006
Originally Posted by lurkin2long



OP do it, im lookin to do the same..........prices on em are good. Ive been seein a lot of 09 models around my way as of also too.

a4>3 series
OMG I cant wait to dothis to my a5 this thing is so sexy
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now