Rebuilding Rams release WR Holt

After they failed to gain trade value, the Rams announced Friday they have released wide receiver Torry Holt.

NFL.com Video

Marc Bulger passes deep left to Torry Holt for 31-yard touchdown.

Holt had a $1.25 million roster bonus due March 17, and the Rams didn't plan to keep him at his $8 million salary. As they did earlier this week withleft tackle Orlando Pace, the Rams parted ways withHolt.

"The Rams will forever be grateful for the way Torry Holt represented the Rams on the field and in the community," Rams owner Chip Rosenbloomsaid. "He is an All Pro in every sense of the word. Over the past 10 seasons, Torry has proven himself to be one of the finest wide receivers in leaguehistory. This is a difficult decision because Torry has meant so much to the organization. In my mind and for all Rams fans, Torry will always be a Ram and wewish him and his family nothing but the best as they move forward."

The releases of Holt and Pace cleared out $14 million of cap room for the Rams. Holt ranks 11th on the league's all-time reception list with 869catches. He started 147 games in 10 seasons.

GET IT DONE ZYGI
46b260c1f98d853ee114c2bfac0e36badd76d152.gif

What we should have done is offered a 7th-round pick to the Rams for him. We wouldn't have to compete with other teams for his services + the Rams would receive some compensation for him and likely accept.

Originally Posted by acidicality

DO IT SCOT!
re-unite Holt and Bruce
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
Imagine if ya'll had signed Warner? With Martz as your OC...
eek.gif

St. Louis of the early millennium all over again
smokin.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

I want to see him in Philly...

PLEASE give Donovan a legit threat.
You giving up on the Browns?

[h2]WHAT NEXT FOR HOLT?[/h2]
Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2009, 5:15 p.m.

Former Rams receiver Torry Holt finally got what he wanted - a release.

But what next for the possible Hall of Famer, who's a whopping 3.5 years younger than Terrell Owens?

The fact that the Rams squatted on Holt's rights until March 13 kept him from getting a crack at the open market when the money was flowing. On one hand, his agent could have/should have insisted on a February 27 trigger for the $1.25 million roster bonus due March 18, which would have forced the team to move him out sooner.

On the other hand, those glowing comments from ownership about Holt would have been a lot more meaningful to us if the Rams had cut Holt before free agency launched - like the Bucs did with multiple veterans.

As a result, teams like the Seahawks and the Bengals and the Bills don't have a need for Holt.

And, suddenly, a team like the Cardinals might have a viable short-term replacement for Anquan Boldin if they choose to trade him.

Who else could be interested? (And we emphasize in this regard the word "could.") The Vikings chased receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, so maybe they'd be interested in a guy who spent his career playing in a dome. The Niners need wideouts, and it would be interesting to see him reunited with Isaac Bruce a decade after the won a Super Bowl in St. Louis.

The Jets should be interested - but then again they need a quarterback first.

The Jaguars have been longing for a receiver who can actually receive, and the Ravens would surely like to upgrade, now that they have a quarterback of the present, and future.

Health will be a key threshold issue for Holt. Though he hasn't missed any playing time, he has had periodic knee issues. And, in 2009, Holt had less than 1,000 receiving yards for only the second time in his career, and he generated the lowest yards-per-catch in ten NFL seasons.

Still, if Terrell Owens is worth $6.5 million for a year, we tend to think that Holt is worth at least that much. And he should get another job as quickly as he wants one.

Everybody wants him huh?

The Eagles were in talks with the Rams for awhile about Holt. I hope they make a move. I'm a legit Holt fan too.

Originally Posted by NY Mavurs

Originally Posted by blackredxiiigoat

He need to come to the Jets and step in for Coles...

Sad news for me and you, but last I heard the Jets won't do it
frown.gif
Supposedly, there's no interest from the Jets b/c Holt has bad knees and theythink it's gonna be an injury liability this year... and dude ain't getting any younger

Besides, we hired his old receiving coach from the Rams....

Ellard would know what Big Game is capable of better than most.

Back
Top Bottom