Recommend me a new router

Either the walls in my house are built like a fort or my wireless router is really starting to suck/die. Ive had the same one for about 5-6 yrs now and its just not performing like it used to.
I mostly use my laptop and tablet upstairs and also Wi-Fi calling on my phone and none of them connect to my home network.

So...recommend me a new, better and FASTER router

it would help if you told us whats the router you had before.

anyways i recommend the Linksys wrt54g

et something dual band and with gigabit ethernet, especially if you're gonna be streaming or transferring a lot of big files around a home network

Linksys E4200. Have two of them in each respective crib, got both for free btw. Never had an issue with it.

Originally Posted by Zyzz

thats the POS i have now 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NewZ05

Originally Posted by Zyzz

thats the POS i have now 
laugh.gif
you must be doing something wrong then

its the common one everyone has and its pretty good. i never had problems with mine.

Netgear n300... I have the work and play one. It was like a $100?
There's a cheaper one for like $40 or $50? It's the Small Office or something like that. 

Anyways, it's pretty cool. Works REALLY well! 

I have a netgear wndr3700.

the thing is a beast. i get consistent 24Mb/s on speedtest.net when paired with my motorola surfboard modem on comcast's 16Mb/s(?) cable internet

Get a new Linksys router. I have one and gets GREAT but anything N is good unless your have HEAVY traffic in your home

I tried to use one of the new Linksys N routers and the UI is absolutely terrible!  I have used Netgear routers for the past 7 years and have liked them for the most part.  The only problem is that they cut out every couple weeks but all you have to do is a 30 second reset and you're back to normal.  They are easily customizable and offer decent range (from my experience with G routers).

yeah. im having the same problem. =[
i'll get signal, but it'll disconnect all the time.
and i don't wanna stay downstairs. it sucks having IM conversations that way.

That was my problem before. Solution was using two different routers on the same home network to get my who house covered. Problem solved.
pimp.gif

I use 2 Linksys Wireless-N routers, btw (WRT650N and WRT150N).

My co-worker is a tech junkie, and for the sake of time I'll leave out the jargon he used to compare the different manufacturers, but he says that if you just want a pure Wireless-N router, the best is probably the D-Link DIR-615.
If you need something dual-band he recommends the Linksys E3200.

There's also another brand he told me about that has some crazy range (the antennas are a foot long), but for "safety concerns" he doesn't recommend it. 
laugh.gif

BTW, what type of internet service do you have?

Comcast is the home internet provider...I just want a dam router that will give me signal upstairs
laugh.gif

stay away from dlink i got one and that thing freaking sucks!! i think its a DIR615 or whatever

I really like Belkin - they have great customer service. Mine stopped working after a few years and they have a lifetime warranty so I sent it back and got a replacement one within a few days.

Their phone support is great too.

Back
Top Bottom