Recommend me alternative to jailbroken apple tv.

What are some good alternatives to a jailbroken apple tv?
I been looking at apple tv 2nd gen for a few months now and they are all over $200.

:nerd: I'm all ears and eyes awaiting responses

Edit: except the first one...that one sucked :lol:

Last edited:
laugh.gif
 the responses in here. My bro has Apple TV, but he doesn't let me use it. I like it though. 

Always doing cool live streaming stuff with all his mac stuff and other cool things. 

Last edited:
^^

Isn't plex just a media player tho? Like wouldn't you have to still download movies to your PC?

Last edited:
^^

Isn't plex just a media player tho? Like wouldn't you have to still download movies to your PC?

Plex does require you to set up something as a media server, but if you're already downloading stuff to transfer over to the Apple TV, isn't it kind of trivial? I've been using my MBP as a plex server at home, but am thinking about making the plunge and getting maybe the last version of the Mac Mini to use as an always on home server. I've fully become a plex convert, when my MBP is open I can access my pretty sizable music library as well as any movies I've ripped. If you've got a group of friends that are running servers too you can access what they're sharing too. My friend is currently going through the process of ripping every Criterion film he's got.

Damn, these things are @ $200+ now?

But really, I found out quickly how rarely I use it. I probably should research more on what else I can do with it besides XBMC, which is mostly what I use, but then I could just install that on my PC and watch from there.

I can't lie though, I bought it thinking it would replace cable tv, but that's not really the case at all. That convenience factor you get from the cable companies is huge.

an ouya would be an ok alternative
but I would wait until next year when they release a new ouya (much faster)

Last edited:
I'm trying to cut the cord from my cable provider too, are there any realistic options out there ?

Chromecast is the same as the Roku boxes but without the HDMI cord and at less than half the cost

Chromecast is the same as the Roku boxes but without the HDMI cord and at less than half the cost

yeah, i'm still not convinced lol....

i know about the price and i know you can stream youtube and netlfix from a phone/tablet but...what else is there?

Last edited:
You can stream ANYTHING on your computer screen to your tv. Not just netflix and and youtube with Chromecast.
If im not mistaken

Last edited:
or buy a $5 cable to connect your laptop/pc to your tv and just use "those websites" to stream movies or whatever

Back
Top Bottom