Reducing manufacturing numbers.

If they start reducing the amount shoes produced, the only people that will be affected is people like you and I.

There was a time when the only shoes worth having were limited or would be sold out before the store even opened. And if you we're lucky enough to obtain a pair, you could be unlucky enough to have a pistol pointed in your face and have them stripped.

Amazing how people act like these times never existed, when it really wasn't even that long ago.

GM changed all that. Nike floods the market now, so you have no rational reason buy Grey Market.

Sad to say, it had nothing to do with people getting shot, or long time fans and customers going home empty handed without a shoe they wanted since they were a kids. That's how Nike did business. Every release of a sought after shoe, would only created an even BIGGER demand for that shoe, by leaving a large number of people empty handed.

This is why I say Nike created the resale market. Rather or not they did it on purpose, I'm not sure, but their business practices gave birth to 500$+ resale prices being common place.

And it baffles me every time I see some one say resale hurts Nike. HOW??? Are you freaking serious? Kids these days think market value is ACTUAL VALUE! So to them a pair of concords on ebay for 599, means that concords are WORTH 599. So when Nike comes around December and sells them for the better part of 250,it seems reasonable.

I sort of understand what would make you question the amount of shoes being put out. Just be happy that it is this way. Because if it ever goes back to the ways of 2002-2009, you'll beg for things to be the way they are now.

Air Jordans have been going on sale since 1985. Nothing new. What's actually new, was the increase in sell-outs for a few years. Other than that, Nike make their money 10 fold usually...I mean, most shoes past the initial development cost, is about $18 per pair produced estimated.

So let's do the math. UNC 11s cost $175. Lets just say production numbers are 100,000. That's $1.8 million in production cost and a projected profit of $17.5 if they never hit outlets. Even if half the stock goes to outlets, that's still $6.95 million gross profit estimated with 50,000 pairs sitting.

one thing you guys forget nike/jordan is already paid once the shoes hit the stores or when nike sells direct to us then its money from the public
and they can absorb all the RTV's they been getting that's why alot of a grade shoes have hit outlets

when shoes hit the outlets every shoe and piece of clothing is already paid for
outlets are nikes biggest money maker

what will worry nike is soft future orders from their accounts that means less revenue coming in

nike did this to themselves
putting out way too many retros

raising the price on all their shoes across the board

also releasing too much crap

the biggest mistake is letting kanye west go and letting adidas take the cool factor away from nike

but dont worry i believe MJ made more in 2016 then ever before with nike

Last edited:
The fact that you referenced the unc 11s at the outlets makes me even wonder if you really know what's good.

The comment that NOTHING is selling out also makes me question some things.
[emoji]129300[/emoji]
Every thing hits outlets even 11s, PRMs, and other things that sell out fast. The OP is definitely ignorant on the way things work and should try to figure out the process of shoes hitting outlets as well as knowing what people buy and don't. UNC shoes usually don't sell that fast(they still end up selling sooner or later).

If they start reducing the amount shoes produced, the only people that will be affected is people like you and I.

There was a time when the only shoes worth having were limited or would be sold out before the store even opened. And if you we're lucky enough to obtain a pair, you could be unlucky enough to have a pistol pointed in your face and have them stripped.

Amazing how people act like these times never existed, when it really wasn't even that long ago.

GM changed all that. Nike floods the market now, so you have no rational reason buy Grey Market.

Sad to say, it had nothing to do with people getting shot, or long time fans and customers going home empty handed without a shoe they wanted since they were a kids. That's how Nike did business. Every release of a sought after shoe, would only created an even BIGGER demand for that shoe, by leaving a large number of people empty handed.

This is why I say Nike created the resale market. Rather or not they did it on purpose, I'm not sure, but their business practices gave birth to 500$+ resale prices being common place.

And it baffles me every time I see some one say resale hurts Nike. HOW??? Are you freaking serious? Kids these days think market value is ACTUAL VALUE! So to them a pair of concords on ebay for 599, means that concords are WORTH 599. So when Nike comes around December and sells them for the better part of 250,it seems reasonable.

I sort of understand what would make you question the amount of shoes being put out. Just be happy that it is this way. Because if it ever goes back to you'll beg for things to be the way they are now.

you mean the ways of 2011-2014, back in 2002 to 2009 sure the resale market was starting in about 2005 more and more resellers where popping up

in the years of 2000 to 2006 you could find retros for under $100.00 if you know where to look
even up to 2011 if you where in the know

Last edited:
Also the thing is, there are just more Nike outlets than Nike stores in general. Even if they sell it at a lower price there, they are essentially selling the shoe for what they sell them to the footsies store.

Nike outlets are money for Jordans. They know the public and resellers would vulture up their leftover inventories and b grades so they ain't sweating. Y'all are more worried getting your pairs than them selling. [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Last edited:
If this is true, I think I'm gonna eat real good this year while I can. It's been relatively easy buying the Jordans you want in 2017. Even the Royals weren't that hard.

I guess if Jordan Brand is tired of me giving them my money, they can most certainly go back to their more limited ways. I ain't jumping through hoops just to buy a pair of shoes anymore. 

I'll just go ahead and buy the last three or four grails I'm missing and do a really hard semi-retirement.

If this is true, I think I'm gonna eat real good this year while I can. It's been relatively easy buying the Jordans you want in 2017. Even the Royals weren't that hard.

I guess if Jordan Brand is tired of me giving them my money, they can most certainly go back to their more limited ways. I ain't jumping through hoops just to buy a pair of shoes anymore. 

I'll just go ahead and buy the last three or four grails I'm missing and do a really hard semi-retirement.

I feel like this is a continuous cycle though.

Retros sit > Nike/JB limit them > Retros sellout on release day > Nike/JB produce more > Retros sit > Nike/JB limit them... So on and so forth.

Sneaker head logic is some of the worst.

It's really human psychology.. The same reason natural diamonds are priced so high even though synthetic ones are pretty much the exact same composition. It's all marketing and limited availability.

It's really human psychology.. The same reason natural diamonds are priced so high even though synthetic ones are pretty much the exact same composition. It's all marketing and limited availability.
It's the worst because people don't pay attention to these things themselves. Being reactive to everything instead of proactive. One month, they can't stand Ls, the next, they can't stand things sitting. It's as if many are always confused about things that are already clear. I saw folks in here ask for multiple years straight if the Holiday 11 would be limited. Trends among JB are pretty easy to figure out. JB retro quantities have increased since I started buying in 2007, every year. Now a pair of XI lows sitting will make JB start limiting retros? That's such a simplistic assumption that it's ridiculous. IMO.

Last edited:
It's the worst because people don't pay attention to these things themselves. Being reactive to everything instead of proactive. One month, they can't stand Ls, the next, they can't stand things sitting. It's as if many are always confused about things that are already clear. I saw folks in here ask for multiple years straight if the Holiday 11 would be limited. Trends among JB are pretty easy to figure out. JB retro quantities have increased since I started buying in 2007, every year. Now a pair of XI lows sitting will make JB start limiting retros? That's such a simplistic assumption that it's ridiculous. IMO.

I don't think limiting the number of releases is crazy-Nike Basketball did this with the Lebron line and, from what I understand, it actually seems to be working.

If their top design talent spends more time and effort on fewer releases vs putting out more cws, naturally they will come up with better cws. Nike can even increase production numbers for each GR release and they will sell better because more thought has been put into the respective cws.

Last edited:

I agree completely with this! I'm loving how NIKE/JB is making all of there stuff easier to obtain.

at the end of the day I just have a hard time believing that Nike doesnt have a handle on whats going on. The idea that a billion dollar company is suffering because they dont have a handle on where to focus resources? at the end of the day, whether we think nike isnt paying attention (to sneaker heads not the general sneaker wearing population) or not ive gotta think that they put their resources where the moneys at, and im positve theyve spent millions of dollars to justify that. 

the whole "sitting on shelves" excuse just boils down to caring what other people are or arent wearing, which for a "sneaker head" makes you lame. at the end of the day this current situation benefits the consumer and you better take advantage of it now while the stars are aligned and what benefits nike happens to benefits real fans, because the second the dollars dont make sense anymore its back to jumping through hoops.

I don't think limiting the number of releases is crazy-Nike Basketball did this with the Lebron line and, from what I understand, it actually seems to be working.

If their top design talent spends more time and effort on fewer releases vs putting out more cws, naturally they will come up with better cws. Nike can even increase production numbers for each GR release and they will sell better because more thought has been put into the respective cws.

I'm not sure it's working. Only 1 color sold out and it was very limited. Others have just been chilling.

the problem is us acting like it is the strangest thing in the world to go into a store and buy a shoe after it´s initial release day.
Sure, Nike rode the wave and made limited releases with high media coverage a thing, but it seems they are also producing way more shoes these days. Sure Space Jams were "sitting" a few days in a couple of places, but it was also the biggest production number they ever had if I recall correctly. Let´s be glad we are getting our shoes at the moment.. things can change in a heartbeat.

the problem is us acting like it is the strangest thing in the world to go into a store and buy a shoe after it´s initial release day.

Sure, Nike rode the wave and made limited releases with high media coverage a thing, but it seems they are also producing way more shoes these days. Sure Space Jams were "sitting" a few days in a couple of places, but it was also the biggest production number they ever had if I recall correctly. Let´s be glad we are getting our shoes at the moment.. things can change in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't say us :lol:

Back
Top Bottom