Relocation opportunities worth the shot or not? vol. share your experience(s)

Eh I can’t say I would for $10k personally but if it’s a significant raise otherwise I definitely would. Midwest isn’t bad, don’t be fooled by these people who have never experienced a temp lower than 40 degrees. It’s not that bad and doesn’t last forever. Indianapolis usually has a lot going on as well plus if you want you can go to Chicago and experience it then realize you never want to step foot in that cesspool again :lol:

Maaaaaaaaaaaan, when you're young and single you have all your energy- that's the time to make mistakes, try new things, and make moves.

You never know what you like until you try it. You might move to Indiana and embrace all that Hoosierness. You might hate it. Who knows.

Furthermore, unless you're joining the military, or you're a professional athlete, I don't think anyone should be signing work contracts for longer than a year if at all; life changes and you deserve your flexibility. You live in the second largest metro in the USA; provided you're half decent at your job, I KNOW you can find work if this opportunity doesn't work.

Always keep that resume updated and be on the lookout for newer/ better/ different opportunities. Any job should be happy to have you on their team, not the other way around. In your shoes, I'd be asking for a 20k or 20% raise, whichever is higher. If my employers want me to make a life changing move, I'm going to need life changing money. Then I'd stick it out for a year or so and be looking for a 30k or 30% raise to go back to California because it's expensive.

To quote the great Dom Toretto, family is the most important thing in life. You are more important than your job. ALWAYS make the right decision for yourself. Your job will replace you in a heartbeat. A simple Indeed search shows me over 200 aircraft mechanic jobs in SoCal. You will be fine with what ever choice you make.

Not that I didn't believe you but I ran searches for aircraft mechanic specifically in LA on Indeed, Glassdoor and ZipRecruiter and you were right. Mokorider Mokorider they each had 100+ listings (ZipRecruiter had 549 but their search algorithm is shaky to me). But regardless, I am not sure how hard you have been looking but it appears there are a fair amount of openings out there. I will also say and admit that a proper job search is exhausting and time consuming AF. Most people I have known who hate their jobs or want to change locations that are "job searching" just kind of look every now and then. However, if you want to do it right, you have to constantly be looking just to make sure you don't miss out on quickstrike postings or have other candidates beat you to the punch. Some of the aircraft mechanic listings I saw were ran by staffing companies so if you're lucky, even if the particular job you applied to doesn't pan out they will keep your info and let you know when new gigs that fit your profile or you can ask them to keep you in mind for future openings.

numbah1 numbah1 's raise approach is good in theory but it's not applicable to all situations IMO. It sounds like your employer is asking you to make a life changing move for $10K as a 'take it or leave it' and if you leave they'll just replace you. From my exerpience, what he described is more so reserved for promotion opportunities. I've seen people shipped from Philly to LA with no raise (maybe cost of living adjustment but I can't recall) and they were glad to do it because like you, it was their home. That approach can really only be pulled off by senior management or executives from what EYE have seen. Essentially asking for a 56% raise over the course 12-18 months when your job responsibilities haven't changed is bold AF. But if you don't ask, you won't know. I've brokered some incredible and unfathomable situations so I can't dismiss it entirely. Honestly, you just have to use your knowledge of the situation, know what you are up against and play your hand wisely.

Not that I didn't believe you but I ran searches for aircraft mechanic specifically in LA on Indeed, Glassdoor and ZipRecruiter and you were right. Mokorider Mokorider they each had 100+ listings (ZipRecruiter had 549 but their search algorithm is shaky to me). But regardless, I am not sure how hard you have been looking but it appears there are a fair amount of openings out there. I will also say and admit that a proper job search is exhausting and time consuming AF. Most people I have known who hate their jobs or want to change locations that are "job searching" just kind of look every now and then. However, if you want to do it right, you have to constantly be looking just to make sure you don't miss out on quickstrike postings or have other candidates beat you to the punch. Some of the aircraft mechanic listings I saw were ran by staffing companies so if you're lucky, even if the particular job you applied to doesn't pan out they will keep your info and let you know when new gigs that fit your profile or you can ask them to keep you in mind for future openings.

numbah1 numbah1 's raise approach is good in theory but it's not applicable to all situations IMO. It sounds like your employer is asking you to make a life changing move for $10K as a 'take it or leave it' and if you leave they'll just replace you. From my exerpience, what he described is more so reserved for promotion opportunities. I've seen people shipped from Philly to LA with no raise (maybe cost of living adjustment but I can't recall) and they were glad to do it because like you, it was their home. That approach can really only be pulled off by senior management or executives from what EYE have seen. Essentially asking for a 56% raise over the course 12-18 months when your job responsibilities haven't changed is bold AF. But if you don't ask, you won't know. I've brokered some incredible and unfathomable situations so I can't dismiss it entirely. Honestly, you just have to use your knowledge of the situation, know what you are up against and play your hand wisely.
You're damn right my approach is bold. You know what's really bold? Asking a man to move 2,000 miles.

In this era of no company loyalty and no pensions, the easiest way to increase your salary is to change jobs and/or move. I have done it multiple time with no regrets.

If you never stand up to your employers, they will ALWAYS take advantage of you. Make yourself valuable, know/ guess your worth, and shoot your shot. If you don't ask, the answer will always be no.

In my opinion, your pay should be going up every year or so until you reach a number that you are comfortable with. The reality is this; the bigger the city, the higher the wages because the cost of living is higher. However, when someone wants you to move to a smaller town, the price also goes up because "no one wants to live there" and because the less people in an area, theoretically the harder it is to replace you.

I left my last job in February 2022; they still haven't replaced me. And the can't afford me because I gave myself a 30k raise. I didn't even want or need such a raise, I just asked the company on the interview just to see what they would say. They paused for five seconds and said "yeah, we can do that". NEVER LOWBALL YOURSELF.

You're damn right my approach is bold. You know what's really bold? Asking a man to move 2,000 miles.

In this era of no company loyalty and no pensions, the easiest way to increase your salary is to change jobs and/or move. I have done it multiple time with no regrets.

If you never stand up to your employers, they will ALWAYS take advantage of you. Make yourself valuable, know/ guess your worth, and shoot your shot. If you don't ask, the answer will always be no.

In my opinion, your pay should be going up every year or so until you reach a number that you are comfortable with. The reality is this; the bigger the city, the higher the wages because the cost of living is higher. However, when someone wants you to move to a smaller town, the price also goes up because "no one wants to live there" and because the less people in an area, theoretically the harder it is to replace you.

I left my last job in February 2022; they still haven't replaced me. And the can't afford me because I gave myself a 30k raise. I didn't even want or need such a raise, I just asked the company on the interview just to see what they would say. They paused for five seconds and said "yeah, we can do that". NEVER LOWBALL YOURSELF.

My man :pimp::lol: But to your point - I think it is partially dependent on industry/company. If it's a large company and you go off on your own and apply to internal job requisitions, even it is a higher level of the job, your job increase might be modest. Someone told me early in my career "The best way to make more money is to company hop" and I kind of blew him off because I was planning to be a lifer. But when **** hit the fan, I actually got to see the benefit of what he was saying as well as your approach. All of that to say is that if you're not being asked to move or a promotion, it's going to be harder to get a significant raise as opposed to if you leave for somewhere else/a competitor.

I definitely sat back when I got my initial offer in college and the first ~4 years of my career but then I flipped a switch and it's definitely been a game changer. Personally, I take the temperature of the job market every 15-18 months or so to see how I'm fairing against what's out there. The problem that my employer quickly realized is that with each promotion they are actually making me more valuable in our industry so they had to go pretty hard last time around when we had neogitations.

So I agree he should absolutely shoot for the stars but it seems like they aren't even trying to let my man takeoff and land on the moon because it's a zero-sum, 10K or jobless, decision. He can confirm though.

Funny that this thread popped up. I was just asked if I would consider relocating back to DC for a new role.

Eh lol.

Where are currently located? You said moving back so I am assuming you lived there before. Where is most of your family? Was any relo/bonus/raise offered?

Mokorider Mokorider another thing to take into account is dating. Not sure if you are currently in a relationship but being in limbo about where you are going to be living long-term has the potential to impact dating/romantic relationships AND vice versa. I've seen couples break up because one had to move for work and I've seen people stay in places because they met someone there.

You might not be looking to settle down right now but it is another personal component in addition that maybe should be considered in the decision IMO.

Was looking at Dayton for a bit. Looks dusty, but if it moved the needle on position or pay I would have done it.

Where are currently located? You said moving back so I am assuming you lived there before. Where is most of your family? Was any relo/bonus/raise offered?

Mokorider Mokorider another thing to take into account is dating. Not sure if you are currently in a relationship but being in limbo about where you are going to be living long-term has the potential to impact dating/romantic relationships AND vice versa. I've seen couples break up because one had to move for work and I've seen people stay in places because they met someone there.

You might not be looking to settle down right now but it is another personal component in addition that maybe should be considered in the decision IMO.
Currently back home in the SF Bay Area. Lived in NoVa, specifically Fairfax, VA for about two years. All family is here in CA (IMO, not really a deal breaker for my wife and I, but yeah) Relocation and a raise was offered. But I think we're okay here. Kids are in a good school district and my wife jumped back into the workforce last year. Honestly, don't feel like I can uproot my family again across the country. Offer is nice, but not amazing.

Currently back home in the SF Bay Area. Lived in NoVa, specifically Fairfax, VA for about two years. All family is here in CA (IMO, not really a deal breaker for my wife and I, but yeah) Relocation and a raise was offered. But I think we're okay here. Kids are in a good school district and my wife jumped back into the workforce last year. Honestly, don't feel like I can uproot my family again across the country. Offer is nice, but not amazing.

Oh wow. He didn't mention it so I never addressed but yeah wife AND kids is another huggeee anchor. I was always really shook of having to make that decision. You're a better man than me though so I'm sure you'll make the right call :lol:

Man, oh man, I logged back in after a couple of days and didn't think I'd get some real legit responses towards this tough torn decision making and mental stress I've been going through from the time I made this thread.

So, first and foremost before I respond to some of you, I really want to thank EVERYONE who made the effort to sit and read this and for your time to type out and give amazing opinions, experiences, and hypotheticals on how a situation like this can potential be for me.

I will try my best to be as transparent as possible so I get a much more in depth opinion from everyone because I'm not going to lie, you guys make it hard to choose (in a good way haha).

UPDATE: As of now, I've scored potential interviews at LAX for JetBlue and Hawaiian Airlines so far and have been debating all day to go through with them or not, since this week I had made up my mind to just take the risk and try out Indy, but the changes that FedEx has been making lately, gives me uncertainty with their plans and as far as their layoffs lately just to cut costs and going more into trucking than air (express).

Moving out of your comfort zone is definitely a tough decision. Especially if your family and friends are within that zone. Back in 2016, I accepted a job offer in NoVA/DC and decided to make the move with my wife and my 9 month daughter. The biggest reason we decided it was a good opportunity for me and the family was the job experience and being able to move outside of CA. Quality of life played a major part of it. Fortunately there was plenty to see and do in NoVA. But it was honestly tough for us from work to depression to looking for a community to connect with. The biggest feeling of loneliness was during the holidays. We eventually made our way back to CA (Orange County) and then back to the SF Bay Area.

I know folks here can give you all the advice in the world. But in the end, you just have to do what feels best for your current place in life. Family is important and the thought of dealing with an emergency while being far away is stressful and scary (Ive been there). But getting up and moving out of your comfort zone is a scary and exciting experience.

If you decide to move, max out that $10k moving allowance. Driving solo from CA to the midwest is a tough drive.
That exactly is the fear I have, emergencies. Not being to respond asap.

I'm in Indy. There are definite benefits here as opposed to SoCal (cost of living, much less population density, traffic, and pollution). We've got pretty good and relatively cheap professional sports that are all located in the middle of the city (Pacers, Colts, AAA baseball, Soccer), good concert venues, parks, and museums, and the best small international airport in the country. We are fairly centrally located amongst other mid-west cities, but not very convenient (3-ish hours to Cincinnati or Louisville, 4-ish hours to Chicago or Detroit, a bit more to St. Louis or Nashville). There is also very little night life to speak of, and relatively low population of Gen X/Millenial-age people, and it's all flat. No topography within 2 hours of the city. Large range of weather, from 0-20-ish in the depths of winter and 90+ with high humidity in the summer, but not as extreme as farther north. However, when someone tells me they moved here from SoCal, I can't help but say, "Why the **** would you do that", but it's mostly bias against the place from living here my whole life. It's always a job or significant other that is from here. I can't recommend it, but I can't totally besmirch it with a clear conscience.
Those weather conditions you mention make me cringe haha, since I'm exposed to the elements for the majority of the shifts but it's not as bad as north or the east.

Indianapolis is pretty meh, OP. There are def benefits to living there, but there's approximately zero chance I'm leaving SoCal for Indy. Especially if you're not having any issues making it in Cali with the higher cost of living. I feel like the winter weather alone would have you questioning yourself.
You're making it hard to not go haha and just say **** it and hope for the best with opportunities here. The winter is honestly what I'm worried about. It's different if I were in an office or inside, but changing tires or brakes on an airplane below 30 degress (which is the lowest that I've been exposed to here is Cali) yeah.....call me soft but I've never been exposed to that haha.

OP have you had a chance to visit Indiana first? I would scout out the place first but my advice is as follows.

1. If you think this is going to be a short term thing where if it doesn't work out you will move back to CA then stay where you are. Getting in the right mindset that if you move it will be a multi year thing will get you in the groove of things.

2. Cost of living is a huge thing but not the only thing. If you save a bunch of money living in Indiana save that money or invest it to build up a little nest egg. When you move to less expensive places it is tempting to spend your money on other things which will lock you in. We call this the golden handcuffs in the my industry. You make more and then buy more such that you can't afford to leave your situation unless the money and cost of living make sense.

3. Most places in the Midwest and Mountain West aren't nearly as diverse as California so if that's important to you then really think about it. Indiana is a very conservative state which might be a shock coming from California.
Actually I was strongly considering flying out sometime next month to scope out the areas.

1. I had came up with the idea this week to stick out the 18 months so I don't have to payback the 10k if an opportunity comes up that I can bid a position for LAX or Ontario, but that's such a long shot considering about 100-200 other guys with more seniority will be trying to come back.

2. That's the mindset I was trying to mold myself into this week, being if I stick to the decision of going with the relocation, that I'll stack my pay difference (I get a massive raise next month) and save up those 18 months or more for a potential down payment for a pad even a townhome here in SoCal for my parents as we rent an apartment since I have to financially help them out as I make a bit more. Your last words on this response stuck to me, to not make it harder to leave by buying all the wants I ever wanted.

3. That's what adds more to wanting to stay as the diversity here is unmatched compared to Indy (from what I've read).

I'm for relocation for a better opportunity and access to more opportunities. This sounds like the same job just with moving expenses covered, in a place with not as many opportunities if this one doesn't workout. Like bronze handcuffs. I'd pass, know quite a few people who made that move from an old company I worked for and they just seemed sort of stuck.

THIS is one of the things that I'm afraid of with the way the economy is and FedEx doing so many business changes where they'd attempt to lay us low seniority mechanics off to save on their operational costs as we may be actually overstaffed in Indy with 100-200 of being added on to that station, and with the MD11 being phased out as they plan in 2025 or sooner, that reduces the amount of maintenance for us. It's really unknown and tough to time or plan what they plan to do as the information they provide us unclear and irrelevant as they make decisions over night and tell us at the last minute. It's stressful showing up to work everyday not knowing if they'll call us each in and decide on the spot with this ultimatum.

I mean what’s the worst that could happen?

You don’t like it and you move back in a year.

If you’re single with no kids now is the time to take chances.

This was a consideration for me with just going with the punches and taking the chance to at least try it out.

Are there any changes in salary/compensation? LA to the Midwest May come with less pay due to COL adjustments. Definitely keep looking locally in that case

Are you a social person? You mentioned parents and family, but not friends and you’re an only child. This may or may not be a good experience in breaking your comfort zone

We retain our same pay luckily. In my case I'm not topped out in the pay scale so I continue getting the same step progressions as I would in any other state.

Not really that social, so socializing doesn't really play much of an impact. But family, that's the one that makes this harder. I've never been in a situation were distance plays a role in my comfort zone, so I don't know what to expect with this experience.

Family is important…But if you are lucky enough to have your folks healthy and stable in life then you def should try to take the years where you have the least obligations to em and anybody else to explore and try/go wherever you want…You can’t get the time back and don’t wanna be old bitter with regrets

I just wouldn’t do it in this case because the whole scenario sounds unappealing and it’s not like yo just packing up to drive SD or Vegas, this is a whole uprooting life logistical moving process from Cali to Indy when it doesn’t seem worth it :lol:

Yeah I see what you mean. An uncle of mine was giving me a similar talk and telling me along the lines that no matter the decision I take, to NEVER put the blame on anyone else but myself or live with regrets. To make my decision and not look back pretty much.

EXACTLY! I'd be more at peace if it was that close to catch a quick 45mins-1hr flight, but damn...5-6 at the least from Indy? That's tough.

Pay, from what you wrote, wouldnt change right? Only that your expenses wont be that high.

Off that alone it aint worth the hassle

Your profession seems like it carries a lot of value. Dont know the market but there are a hundreds cities better in your coast alone.

It seemingly only works to get out of your comfort zone and see if you can strive without any immediate support.

That is correct. I still have 5 years to go to top out on the pay scale (which FedEx holds #2 compared to other airlines).
So it's a tough gig to give it up knowing I'm in an airline that many in this industry would love to be in. Also that I'm in the cargo side compared to passenger as it's historically been more stable than the airline take covid for example, but times are changing especially the direction the economy has been going these past months it's unclear if things can get worse or start picking up.

I moved and relocated a few years back and really recommend it. I moved from Minneapolis to Charlotte but was offered more to move and it was a new job not a relocation from my current one. Happy to address any further specific questions but our situations are not so different, I am also an only child so I get it.

Advantages:
-New Experience: As mentioned in this thread. Making friends in a new city has been exhilarating and pushed me out of my comfort zone. I have WAY more friends then I even had back home tbh.
-Cost of living- This can not be overstated how nice this is, Indy will most likely be cheap as hell
-Work- You will have a high paying job in a low cost area. STACK

Disadvantages
-Location- Sorry but Indiana is one of the lamest states in the union, I drove through Indianapolis when I moved and it was meh, boring and flat state, klan country too
-Weather- Your situation is unique because imo LA has the best weather in the country so you're pretty much screwed anywhere you move to :lol:
-Work- As mentioned before you are moving to a cheaper place but sounds like you will have a much more limited option to leave should you want to

Summary-I would take it, not for the 10k but for the change, home will always be there and if you give the new spot a chance it could change your life for the better

Thank you for understanding in seeing how as an only child we don't have a sibling to keep an eye out on the parents.

The cost of living does sound nice and my money can definitely grow if I play things nicely and stick to financial plan and as you said to STACK.

Damn...that's what I've read and seen on YouTube videos, how everything is so boring and flat. No beaches or mountains aside from the dunes or Lake Michigan and on top of that the crime rate within the "circle" aka surrounding areas inside the freeways that circle downtown.

The change would definitely serve me as growth but at what cost, you get me? Just for materialistic things and quality of life over cherishing time close to family. It's tough man.

That weather will be depressing in winter

Depression in a new place with no friends or family around is a recipe for disaster

Pass. Only positive I can think of is buying a house for cheap near a university and renting it out in the future as an income source

I read that there's days where the sun doesn't shine and the weather being bipolar where it's rainy, sunny, hot, and cold all in the same day. Not to mention tornados? fak.

Can't lie I see it and feeling depressed all alone in the beginning until I meet people aside from my coworkers.

Not a bad idea come to think of it, but man I don't know if I see Indy growing down the road. I could be wrong.

My bad OP - I meant to respond to this days okay but forgot after the thread fell off the first two pages.

I think some folks missed parts of your post or I misinterpreted some thing but I’ll take a stab at responding.
  1. $10K in relocation from LA to Indianapolis isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I don’t know your current living situation and how much you have in terms of clothes, furniture, electronics, other household items, etc. I am also going to assume you have a vehicle. If you can fit everything in your car then that’s great. If you can’t, things can get real pricey with movers; however, there is also the possibility you could ship some excess stuff that doesn’t fit in the car. Similarly, another consideration is that it is a 2000 mile drive that will take 2-3 days minimum. Personally, I am not about that life but working with $10K, it is kind of your only option because shipping cars can be expensive. People also keep telling you go first to visit for a few days but that would probably run you $500-1K for for flight + accommodations (hotel, food, rental car, etc) as well. I would consider all of these things, maybe even price some of it out. It’s also worth asking your employer if this $10K is grossed up (ie they pay the taxes upfront so you get the full $10K) or do they give you $10K and make it subject to tax. THIS MATTERS and too often I’ve seen people not ask.
  2. I took a cursory look at the tax situation and it looks like you don’t get an income tax break at all by moving from California to Indianapolis. Since it appears you won’t be getting a raise, it seems like you will be relying on cost of living as the main driver in financial incentive. I would recommend going on Zillow and searching the apartment/condo selection adjacent to where you will be working as well as the downtown area (if you’re into that) and figuring out how much you could save in rent since it will likely be your biggest savings.
  3. On top of that - another thing people seemed to have missed (or I am misunderstanding) is that you can’t simply go back in 1-3 years if you don’t like it, right? I believe you said you will be losing seniority and you would be up against 100-200 other folks for opportunities to come back so this would be a MINIMUM FIVE YEAR commitment. Is that correct? If that is in fact the case, they would have to throw some serious sweeteners in there for me, man. That’s a long *** time to be locked in to a situation you are unsure about.
  4. Also, if I read correctly, you’ll lose your job if you decline to move, correct? In that sense you are kind of hamstrung. Could you still apply to gigs back in LA while out there? I would look into how long the retention period is on the $10K (how long you have to stay before you can leave without having to pay them back)
  5. Finally, you mentioned you are an aircraft mechanic. Gutting it out until something comes back up is a real possibility. Domestic travel should be back at pre-pandemic levels by years end and globally it was ~80% pre-pandemic levels in 2022 and I expect ~90% by 2024 and a full recovery by 2025. I saw last week that travel for MDW actually exceed that of pre-pandemic. It was only like 1.5% but even getting close is meaningful. They are expecting travel to be booming this summer again as well. More flights = more need for mechanics so in theory opportunities should be opening up in the LA area.
So, it’s tough because it sounds like you are being forced to go or else you don’t have a job rather than being given a choice of staying or going. If you are being forced, just make sure you get the all the terms laid out so you don’t trap yourself or end up worse off. But a pros and cons list with tangible numbers could go a long way in this process

No worries man, thank you for responding!

1. I actually own 2 vehicles and was looking into hauling one and getting the other shipped and leaving all of my belongings except books, clothes, computer, tv and a book shelf. The drive I read and heard from a buddy says that it sucks. I was talking out of my *** in saying I would go fly out there and scope things, but you're right, those are expenses that I don't need at the moment but if I truly set my mind to stick to the relocation decision 100%, then I wouldn't be hesitating as much.
As far as the 10k being grossed up, I keep hearing mixed rumors saying that we will have to use out of pocket and then get reimbursed up to 10k once settled and others saying that they'll cut us a check in a relocation package, so the details aren't clear as FedEx has been dodging us and just updating us as the days go by, which is frustrating that there is no set plan or clarity.

2. I've briefly searched on Zillow and Redfin to check out the rentals and I'll be saving more out there than here as it'll just be a studio or single just for myself.

3-4. That is correct. 18 months is the amount of time we need to stay in Indy in order to NOT have to payback the 10k. And you are correct, I'll actually be gaining seniority as I start accruing seniority next month from passing my apprenticeship (wasn't accruing seniority while in the apprenticeship). MINIMUM 5 years is what many and even managers are speculating, IF that to have an opportunity to bid back or if we retain recall rights for being bumped out of the LAX sorting station (hence the hanger is what's being demolished and being transferred and I'm part of the line station once I graduate next month - they're only granting recall rights to the line station; as of this moment.) The uncertainty is what drives me to just say **** it and leave as I don't know how long until I'm even eligible to be granted a spot to come back with 100-200 wanting to come back.

5. That's the trip right now that passenger airlines will start booming come summer time and how it's been slowly picking up compared to pandemic levels and cargo has been dropping since consumers haven't been purchasing or shipping as before. Obviously these cargo airlines are feeling the hit post-pandemic compared to the booming numbers during the pandemic and that's where these cargo airlines are trying to keep their shareholders happy with all of these cuts lately and FedEx being one of them after their horrible quarterly numbers they've promised to save about 4 billion in costs come their 2025 fiscal year.

Exactly. I feel more for those who have been topped out in pay for years with families and mortgages and are given this ultimatum to go or to quit and seek a lower paying airline just to keep what they've worked years for in obtaining, but it is part of this industry and we know what we signed up for. But you're right, I do want to see the actual numbers and the incentives but, just afraid to be put in a spot to make a sudden decision and end up screwing myself impulsively.

Maaaaaaaaaaaan, when you're young and single you have all your energy- that's the time to make mistakes, try new things, and make moves.

You never know what you like until you try it. You might move to Indiana and embrace all that Hoosierness. You might hate it. Who knows.

Furthermore, unless you're joining the military, or you're a professional athlete, I don't think anyone should be signing work contracts for longer than a year if at all; life changes and you deserve your flexibility. You live in the second largest metro in the USA; provided you're half decent at your job, I KNOW you can find work if this opportunity doesn't work.

Always keep that resume updated and be on the lookout for newer/ better/ different opportunities. Any job should be happy to have you on their team, not the other way around. In your shoes, I'd be asking for a 20k or 20% raise, whichever is higher. If my employers want me to make a life changing move, I'm going to need life changing money. Then I'd stick it out for a year or so and be looking for a 30k or 30% raise to go back to California because it's expensive.

To quote the great Dom Toretto, family is the most important thing in life. You are more important than your job. ALWAYS make the right decision for yourself. Your job will replace you in a heartbeat. A simple Indeed search shows me over 200 aircraft mechanic jobs in SoCal. You will be fine with what ever choice you make.

Haha I hear that a lot.

You're right though my pops was telling me the same to try it out and see and if I don't like it to just take the L and quit or find something here and come back.

Honestly, I was trying so hard to avoid that "it didn't work" scenario but you're right and I agree that there's opportunities here in LA to stay. Won't pay as much but not like I'll be left without anything.

I really should've taken this advice years ago, keep my resume updated. Took me so much time to update it last week.

THIS is what keeps replaying in my head and the tough lesson learned being put in such a situation. They'll replace me or lay me off in a heartbeat and not give a ****.

Eh I can’t say I would for $10k personally but if it’s a significant raise otherwise I definitely would. Midwest isn’t bad, don’t be fooled by these people who have never experienced a temp lower than 40 degrees. It’s not that bad and doesn’t last forever. Indianapolis usually has a lot going on as well plus if you want you can go to Chicago and experience it then realize you never want to step foot in that cesspool again :lol:

I'm one of those that have never experienced temp lower than 40 degrees :lol: especially working on a plane outside in freezing weather.

There's a lot of hiring in our field since there's a shortage or mechanics in the industry at the moment and I guess it's just me wanting to land in the majors and aim for the top of the food chain as I'm currently in the second highest paid airline. I spent all of last weekend updating and applying to airline just to test the waters and got 2 interviews for JetBlue and Hawaiian airlines which pays 4-8 dollars less than I will be making the next 3-4 years if I were to get picked up by either airline. I've been on top of it with Indeed notifications and checking the airline careers page every morning to see what I find so I've been okay on those as some coworkers haven't been aware of them until days after. Southwest and UPS have been those airlines that have been giving me updates on future openings but nothing close by except for Southwest hiring in SD but I don't know if I want to commute daily to SD or let alone rent out there as the rent out there is ridiculous from what I saw on Zillow the other night.

Thank you! Every aircraft mechanic in the SoCal area is saying the same thing how bold FedEx is being with their decision making in the maintenance side and also with the implementation of their new "DRIVE" program in combining Ground and Express and closing all small stations and laying off all their employees if they cannot relocate to the stations they present to them on the read and sign paper presented randomly without a heads up.

I was told this when I started and didn't believe it and wanted to be "loyal" long term to a company I could potentially retire from but, man was this a slap to the face. Knowing my worth is what's making me want to say screw this and give up the pay and just adapt to something else without the forced sudden change of life.

Thank you for the blunt honesty in your response.

My man :pimp::lol: But to your point - I think it is partially dependent on industry/company. If it's a large company and you go off on your own and apply to internal job requisitions, even it is a higher level of the job, your job increase might be modest. Someone told me early in my career "The best way to make more money is to company hop" and I kind of blew him off because I was planning to be a lifer. But when **** hit the fan, I actually got to see the benefit of what he was saying as well as your approach. All of that to say is that if you're not being asked to move or a promotion, it's going to be harder to get a significant raise as opposed to if you leave for somewhere else/a competitor.

I definitely sat back when I got my initial offer in college and the first ~4 years of my career but then I flipped a switch and it's definitely been a game changer. Personally, I take the temperature of the job market every 15-18 months or so to see how I'm fairing against what's out there. The problem that my employer quickly realized is that with each promotion they are actually making me more valuable in our industry so they had to go pretty hard last time around when we had neogitations.

So I agree he should absolutely shoot for the stars but it seems like they aren't even trying to let my man takeoff and land on the moon because it's a zero-sum, 10K or jobless, decision. He can confirm though.

THIS! I did the same thing starting early in my apprenticeship 3 years ago. Someone told me to hop to any other competitor airline that paid more and keep jumping because there's no loyalty or care in the world from an airline that wouldn't hesitate to let me go and I blew him off in through one ear out the other because I was planning to be a lifer and retire from this airline but never saw the ugly, I was so captivated on the track record FedEx had towards their mechanics that now I'm just in shock to the treatment they're giving us with these cuts.

That is correct. 10k or jobless and I've been shooting for the stars with the top airlines to see if anything pops up before I have to force myself to take the relocation package just so I avoid being jobless or making a lot less with the lower paying airlines.

Luckily I'm single at the moment, but this did pay a role in my last relationship 2 years ago when the speculations began of LAX hanger being shutdown and made the future plans fall apart as they were against relocating due to family. Many at work are saying how they're stuck in a situation where marriages and families can fall apart and/or break up and these guys are stressing a lot more than I am, so I feel for them as they have more priorities rooting them here more but can't financially afford the relocation or the layoff.

Just moved from Cleveland (31 years) to Las Vegas in march.

Been about 100 days and I love it so far. Insane change but nothing compares to Vegas so anyone would be stunned.
Vegas one of the places that’s been on my list to move to next…Got any details on how it is living there so far? The good and bad besides the strip :lol:

Mokorider Mokorider def take those 2 interviews, you gotta at least see what they talking about and it’s best to have options and offers to bring to the table

Also look into San Diego, it’s a great city levels above Indy :lol:, and you’ll be close to home while still being somewhere new and on your own …You can get cheaper rents living on the south side or eastern suburbs, look at spots in those areas

I'm very proud of you OP and know that whatever you decide it will work out. You are displaying the maturity and diligence that is needed in making this kind the move. I pray for blessings for you and your family.

I’ve uprooted a couple times. For ME the city I grew up in was the reason I had to leave, been there done that and needed a fresh start. Moved to Atlanta, had the best time of my life, eventually moved to tampa.
From what I’ve seen nobody moves to the Midwest bro. I had a dawg from Ohio that moved to ATL, and eventually moved back, I always clown him that him and Lebron the only cats to move back to Ohio. Upgrade ya city lol. Move to Miami, Vegas, Nashville, Atlanta etc whatever your speed is. For U it sounds like being close to fam/parents is important. The move to Indy sounds terrible bruh.

I'm very proud of you OP and know that whatever you decide it will work out. You are displaying the maturity and diligence that is needed in making this kind the move. I pray for blessings for you and your family.

This. Seems like you're making all the right preparatory moves and considering all the right things. I really respect your hustle and grind getting up every morning to check for positions. Most people just ***** about their situation without being proactive :lol: Another thing I wanted to clarify Mokorider Mokorider , do you mean to tell us that ANY day now they could call you in and ask for a decision on the spot? Have they called in any of your colleagues yet? If so, how did it go?

THIS is one of the things that I'm afraid of with the way the economy is and FedEx doing so many business changes where they'd attempt to lay us low seniority mechanics off to save on their operational costs as we may be actually overstaffed in Indy with 100-200 of being added on to that station, and with the MD11 being phased out as they plan in 2025 or sooner, that reduces the amount of maintenance for us. It's really unknown and tough to time or plan what they plan to do as the information they provide us unclear and irrelevant as they make decisions over night and tell us at the last minute. It's stressful showing up to work everyday not knowing if they'll call us each in and decide on the spot with this ultimatum.

I didn't want to pry and ask what airline but thank you for sharing it is FedEx. I am familiar with their situation because I got into cargo stocks for the first time when they bottomed out around the start of the pandemic (and doubled down on airlines at the bottom too). Regarding a mechanic position, wouldn't the pending retirement of the in service MD11 actually benefit newer folks like yourself? Your fleet right now is primarily Freighter 757/767/777s and I know you have quite a few more 767/777 freighters scheduled for delivery through 2025 (They are a huge part of what's keeping the those lines running as KC-46 tankers are getting made and kinks are getting worked on the 777X).

From my experience, I would actually contend that the phasing out of the older planes in the fleet means they would actually look to get rid of the older folks because they cost to0 much and their "tribal knowledge" is no longer required. Whenever we do VLOs (Voluntary Layoffs) it starts with the old heads making big money and low performing folks at the bottom. So you actually should be good given you have several more raises until maxing out and you're not at the bottom either.

UPDATE: As of now, I've scored potential interviews at LAX for JetBlue and Hawaiian Airlines so far and have been debating all day to go through with them or not, since this week I had made up my mind to just take the risk and try out Indy, but the changes that FedEx has been making lately, gives me uncertainty with their plans and as far as their layoffs lately just to cut costs and going more into trucking than air (express).

Like frsh said, you should absolutely take those interviews even if it's just for practice and making notes for later when it's time to make the next move of your choice. Sucks it'll be less than what you'll make in Indy but it's probably worth doing some back of the napkin math to see the difference between the local JetBlue/Hawaiian Airlines positions and the Indy gig over 18 months. It should at least help to give you comfort that you are making the decision for a good reason (stack $X amount of dollars for a down payment on a crib). The fact that you got two interviews this quickly means you're in demand so even if you want to come back 18, 24, 36, etc. months later, then it seems like you shouldn't have a problem getting interviews or offers when the time comes.

At this point it sounds like you are coming to terms with the fact you might just have to move to Indy which is a good thing so just keep what you're doing and try to get as much information as possible.

Vegas one of the places that’s been on my list to move to next…Got any details on how it is living there so far? The good and bad besides the strip :lol:

I technically live in Henderson, Nevada which is about 10 minutes from the actual strip.

It has everything you need. And I mean everything. It can get pricey but you gotta just be smart.

I love everything about it far, and becoming a local you see things that you would never think about if you just went to Vegas and just stayed on the strip the whole time which is what most do.

I'm scared of Cali cause I've heard how bad the homeless situation is. Here in Ohio they're sequestered to certain areas and from Oct-Mar they are invisible- they go to shelters that have strict curfew.

As far as crime, the big thing here is car stuff. Catalytic converters being sawed off, fools smashing windows just to get 5 bucks in change, and every now and then a car actually gets stolen. Usually someone leaves the key fob in the car, or it's a 95'-00' car that can be shimmied with a screwdriver. I personally haven't been effected, it's usually the college kids/hipsters living in the "trendy" neighborhoods with street parking that get victimized.

No violent crime really, home invasions and strong arm robberies are rare. No banging, although I've met a few hood dudes who wear black flags and claim to be Gangsters Disciple.

Besides the Winter's effect on our social life, it rains hard about 1-2 days out of the week. At least it's not Seattle, or even worse Florida where it's WET and HOT.

Decent sports culture. Most people's lives revolve around the Colts/Pacers, Bengals/Reds, Browns/Nationals/Cavs. Here in Cincy, they took some vacant land near downtown (what used to be the projects) and built a full scale soccer stadium. People get hyped up just as the other sports.

Women are kind of ehhh...past 25 most have either had (multiple) kids or fallen off physically. Only women in affluent circles ($70k+) still look good.

I read the thread and updates and everyone seems to have covered everything.

Cali to Indiana, I get it, that's a tough sell. And only 10k moving expenses but same salary?

I dont know if you said Indianapolis but I just assumed so and did a quick search https://www.rent.com/indiana/indianapolis-apartments/downtown-indianapolis-neighborhood Since you're young and sexy and got new money (and gona be fresh meat, from California no less) I assume you want to live downtown and be "in the mix" of things. Looks you can get a sexy *** spot for $1100 and up. I assume your current rent in Cali is much higher, so this is where your "same pay" become a raise, but as storm2006 storm2006 or someone else mentioned, you're moving me from California to Indianapolis I need a raise PLUS the relocation.

I think you may have underestimated how in demand your job is. The place you work currently isn't the only place, and in this current work force leaving jobs and jumping ship is how you get paid as opposed to actually like in Governmental IT where I am for example, you see people getting paid less for staying in the same place (new companies keep coming in and underbidding the contract to least acceptable offer level, rewriting the S.O.Ws to the minimumest things they can so they can cut pay).

I think you should do it. It's admirable your connection to your family, I am the same. In fact it's the reason my "big move" was just like 100 miles up the road. I also have kids now and unfortunately scorned BMs so I'm not trying to be away from them. Same time, it's 2023, you work on them so you know planes are pretty fast. You can hop on a flight if you need to.

Also, apply to jobs even if you're iffy on them. Often times, it's a recruiter or 3rd party listing them and even if it doesn't work out for that one, they'll find out what your terms are and keep your resume and contact info and hit you up when something matches. In I.T there are companies who pacifically exist to do that.

What is the worst case scenario, you have trouble fitting into Indiana or don't like it there, put some apps in and come back to Cali or anywhere. Do it now before you have kids and a family. Hell, come to OKC. I'm on Tinker Air Force Base, they got hella jobs for sure the aircraft mechanic building (the big one anwyays) is Bldg 3001 right across the street.

Also my whole family almost moved to Indiana when we worked for DFAS and they were doing the BRAC realiginment. Just so happened the family reunion was in Indy that year too so my Dad scheduled some house tours. They got basements and multi levels in Indiana but he was so upset because none of the contractors would let him do the customizations he wanted like in our house he built in Oklahoma (like prerun cable for his surround sound, which granite is less relevant in 2023 with wireless). There's a part of town that is a dangerous nightlife area, maybe 29th iirc, where Stephan Jackson and Jamaal Tinsley got shot or shot at. Avoid there I guess

TDLR: Do it, YOLO, but get more $, always bet on yourself, good luck

Man I just had this thread show up as a "similar thread" for some reason and I read the whole thing.... but like A Song of Ice & Fire it doesn't have an ending :lol:

OP disappeared... maybe FedEx found out he was talking about them :nerd:

Mokorider Mokorider , you still alive, man? Did ya stay in LA? Did you move to Indy and found out they only have dial-up NetZero internet?

r1djnq1kjnu71.jpg

Back
Top Bottom