Rents Are Through The Roof >10% Over PrePandemic Levels; In 0 of 50 States Can a Minimum Wage Worker Afford Housing

I can't be bothered convincing randoms on the internet with nothing to gain for my efforts 🤷‍♂️
Ain't then, don't ever let me catch you writing more than three sentences in a post. Ever. I'll be watching...
rileycurry-riley.gif

Last edited:
Anywhere a legit 45 mins to work in the city, your dollar won't take you too far either. Traffic getting worse everywhere.

Way more factors to "red" and "blue" areas than what son broke it down to. Job availability, job quality, wages, diversity etc. etc. Of course job centers where people flock to will have developers taking advantage at a larger scale. Doesn't ignore that they do it everywhere.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need bullet trains in this country.

It would shorten commutes and people wouldn't mind living far from downtown areas. Plus it would drive down the cost of real estate due to less demand to live close to work
There was gonna be one from DC to Baltimore but it got axed because A.) There were no planned stops in the suburbs between the two cities besides the airport (stupid) and B. It was gonna be $60 a trip :lol:

America can’t get anything done that’s actually well planned and accessible.

this is the exact same dynamic in canada,
national parties are mostly coming around to the pro housing view

but local politicians, especially big city leftists and exurban conservatives are all NIMBY's

gotta vote locally, imo every young person should be a single issue housing voter.
let your local politicians know.

It is called Community Cares Partners in Oklahoma, yall need to find out what it is called in your states. The Government has literally billions set aside to help people with rent or bills, and in Oklahoma it isnt even income based anymore they have so much unclaimed money. My mom and a few of the other ladies at the church took a class on it and they specialize in filling out people's apps and helping them get approved. Its 3 months at a time then you refile.

this is the exact same dynamic in canada,
national parties are mostly coming around to the pro housing view

but local politicians, especially big city leftists and exurban conservatives are all NIMBY's

gotta vote locally, imo every young person should be a single issue housing voter.
let your local politicians know.

It is not the exact same dynamic in the US and Canada though.

The US Republican party doesn't have a strong or growing pro housing wing. You might see it here and there but the erosion of its wonk class, the dynamics of its base, and there general lunacy prevent one from rising.

So in the states, in cities, young people really have to pay more attention to primaries to get YIMBY liberals and progressives through.

Because in US cities, there is so much veto power that one NIMBY progressives are undermine YIMBY ones. People underestimate how easy it is to veto stuff on the local level. Like in San Fran one delusional leftist was doing all kinds of damage. Even as other liberals yelled at him.

It is not the exact same dynamic in the US and Canada though.

The US Republican party doesn't have a strong or growing pro housing wing. You might see it here and there but the erosion of its wonk class, the dynamics of its base, and there general lunacy prevent one from rising.

So in the states, in cities, young people really have to pay more attention to primaries to get YIMBY liberals and progressives through.

Because in US cities, there is so much veto power that one NIMBY progressives are undermine YIMBY ones. People underestimate how easy it is to veto stuff on the local level. Like in San Fran one delusional leftist was doing all kinds of damage. Even as other liberals yelled at him.
well yah not the republican party
i tend to forget about them since they don't actually have any actual policy wonks with real ambitions beyond cultural grievance.

and yes parliamentary system vs two party primaries makes dem primaries the locus of YIMBY v NIMBY conflict

the dynamic described in the thread of the disconnect between national dem leaders and local politicians
is what I think is the same.

and younger people and non homeowners don't vote locally as much so it's in the local politicians self interest to embrace NIMBYism

Too many groups lobbying against non car transportation to get anything done in this country :smh:
There’s lobby groups for EVERYTHING now, no matter how big or small the issue is. Things take forever to get passed/approved due to people taking everything to court.

There was gonna be one from DC to Baltimore but it got axed because A.) There were no planned stops in the suburbs between the two cities besides the airport (stupid) and B. It was gonna be $60 a trip :lol:

America can’t get anything done that’s actually well planned and accessible.
To be fair, bullet trains don't make much sense for short commutes. Even DC to Baltimore (an hour car ride) doesn't really make sense. Bullet trains should be replacing regional airlines and/or national air routes.

Back
Top Bottom