Rents Are Through The Roof >10% Over PrePandemic Levels; In 0 of 50 States Can a Minimum Wage Worker Afford Housing

If you live far enough away from a major city, you can find decent deals. I've seen modest 2 bedroom homes going for about 100k.

Problem is do you really want to live there.

We pay 1530 a month for the tiny house we rent 😭

We are paying too much for the space but that’s the cost of rent here :frown:

I'm at 1165 for my apartment. The same room would cost me 1400 today. Lease ends the day after Christmas.

Trying to find someone else to take it over for me so I can get a bigger spot with my girlfriend. Might as well get ahead of it now.

I am moving into a 3 br 1 bath just a whole half a mile from downtown, near the Va hospital so still Northeast oart of town (the black part) for $1025 in a neighborhood called Lincoln Terrace. Its much smaller than where I live now but its sleek and new inside. Biggest sacrifice was I no longer have in unit laundry, I’ll have to go to the creepy basement of the building and I guess the 2 car garage and I guess 1000 sq ft smaller

I've seen on Long Island, renting one of those illegal basement apartments in people's houses is $1500 and up.

People that go to public meetings and rant about blocking new development in their neighborhoods are almost as bad as people that do to Trump rallies and chant "Build a Wall"

It is really the explicit display xenophobia and racism that makes one group slightly worse

But the gap is smaller than most people think

1700 doesn't sound bad for a 1 bedroom in NYC at all unless you live in the middle of perpetual shootouts.

Work was talking about a role in NYC but didn't want to pay relocation or market rate. Pass.

People that go to public meetings and rant about blocking new development in their neighborhoods are almost as bad as people that do to Trump rallies and chant "Build a Wall"

It is really the explicit display xenophobia and racism that makes one group slightly worse

But the gap is smaller than most people think
Dave Chappele bullied the city into not building near his neighborhood, threatened to pull out all his businesses and move and tax money and everything

But yea it's crazy, even in OKC some places I considered in like 2020 have literally doubled in rent since then, with no upgrades or nothing. And if it's not an apartment, you gotta have first month's, last month's, and a security deposit equal to rent on day 1 like ****** really just running around with like 6k to drop after the app gets approved.

I went to viewing last week and it was like 9 people already walking around when I got there. it was $995 for a 2/1.5 bath in Chinatown (very nice part of town, they could have gotten way more than $995). I called back the next day and she said someone had beat me to it (I had already payed my app fees for a different place (but not the deposit) but I was gonna change my mind due to the in unit laundry a-friend a-friend storm2006 storm2006 blastercombo blastercombo You can walk to Makola market and get all your authentic African goods and groceries. Dongmei Massage in the same building too. Pho Lien Hoa across the street for the overrated, cash only Vietnamese Soup. Empire Pizza and the res of Plaza district about 1/2 mile away, Midtown back the other way, Paseo/Uptown 23rd across Classen, Super Cao Nguyen the mega Chinese market.

If you have housing in the neighborhood you say f that, I don’t want more traffic, congestion, smog, blah blah blah

If you don’t have housing it’s upsetting because that’s less opportunity to get a house.

But also living on top of each other is not the business. Houses literally stacked on/next to each other x 10 is terrible. Got people parking blocks away just to find a parking spot.

Rent stabilized buildings ftw. Paying under 2k for a 3 bdr in da heightz. And they’re gut renovating it next month so it’s about to look brand new new

But also living on top of each other is not the business. Houses literally stacked on/next to each other x 10 is terrible. Got people parking blocks away just to find a parking spot.
well let me tell you it's 100x better than being locked out of home ownership
and paying someone else's mortgage for the privilege of living in a windowless basement.

im going to become the Joker.

Boomers deserve every bit of hatred Millenials have for them

If I were ever to start a blog, it would be about how boomers built massive amounts of wealth off the back of sabotaging Millenials.

Under Boomers watch the cost of housing, education, and health care hyperinflated and these sorry mother****er insist on blaming Millenials (which are the generation of their kids) for their buffoonery.

Real talk, if there was ever a Generation war, I got pocket and guava branch lashes for any boomer in my vicinity

**** every single on of them that think like this

Government intervention and regulation of who can buy existing housing stock is the best outcome we can hope for at this point; otherwise, people will revolt.

Housing is the most important driver of middle class wealth, but it is first and foremost a basic need that any member of society should have reasonable access to. If capitalism and its actors can't regulate themselves and take actions that endanger the fabric of society, the government must check them; a nation of homeless people is no nation at all.

Good luck convincing the rubes who, despite being in the minority, have an outsized say in our political and civic life due to the electoral college and who went bonkers when a black man dared to assert that Healthcare was also a basic need and right.

Back
Top Bottom