Reparations (Time to cut the check)

Will we see reparations in our lifetime?

• Yes (times are changing)

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • No (it’ll never happen)

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters

Speaking to “Axios on HBO” in an interview set to air Monday, White House senior adviser Cedric Richmond discussed efforts targeted to helping minority communities

“We don’t want to wait on a study. We’re going to start acting now,” he told the outlet.

“We have to start breaking down systemic racism and barriers that have held people of color back and especially African Americans,” Richmond told the outlet. “[W]e have to do stuff now.”

Since there will never be any level of agreement on the issue as far as how many dollars would amount to a sufficient payment to individuals the Federal Gov can simplify this by doing 3 things for African Americans:

1- Any African American holding undergraduate and/or graduate student loan debt automatically qualifies for instant loan forgiveness as well as being refunded on all interest payments already made on the loans.

2- Any African American with mortgage debt gets their interest rate set to 0%.

3- Any African American attending college or grad School in the United States can apply for an easy to obtain fee waiver that will cover tuition, books, and cost of living. The waiver will cover all of those expenses upon graduation.

All three reparations programs would be in effect for at least as long as slavery took place in this country because that would be in the true spirit of righting the wrong.

^^ How do you determine who qualifies as "African American"? Also, are we making a distinction between "black people" and "African American" people in America?

Since there will never be any level of agreement on the issue as far as how many dollars would amount to a sufficient payment to individuals the Federal Gov can simplify this by doing 3 things for African Americans:

1- Any African American holding undergraduate and/or graduate student loan debt automatically qualifies for instant loan forgiveness as well as being refunded on all interest payments already made on the loans.

3- Any African American attending college or grad School in the United States can apply for an easy to obtain fee waiver that will cover tuition, books, and cost of living. The waiver will cover all of those expenses upon graduation.

All three reparations programs would be in effect for at least as long as slavery took place in this country because that would be in the true spirit of righting the wrong.

So what about those of us that will probably never experience any of the 3 situations your presented?

There is a HUGE (probably majority) that will never attend college and/or own a home.

^^ How do you determine who qualifies as "African American"? Also, are we making a distinction between "black people" and "African American" people in America?

It could be from doing something as uncomfortable as the infamous hair test conducted during apartheid in South Africa, or something more nuanced like a DNA test?

Determining who is black hasn’t stopped discrimination so it’s not impossible to determine who is black to make African Americans whole again.

I use black and African American interchangeably but yes a distinction should be made between a new Jamaican arrival to the country and say someone whose lineage traces back to a plantation in rural Georgia.

Good ideas and a good list upon first glance. Like DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican stated however some of US don’t have or don’t experience either of the three things you listed. As an alternative or another solution to the problem I think black people should be TAX FREE for extended amount of time, something along those lines. Why should WE be paying taxes for a country our ANCESTORS built but weren’t compensated for. Along with US getting a direct check from the government as well.

Good ideas and a good list upon first glance. Like DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican stated however some of US don’t have or don’t experience either of the three things you listed. As an alternative or another solution to the problem I think black people should be TAX FREE for extended amount of time, something along those lines. Why should WE be paying taxes for a country our ANCESTORS built but weren’t compensated for. Along with US getting a direct check from the government as well.

Yeah.

I just threw that out there off the top of my head. Not to debate anyone about it really.

Everyone feel free to add onto that list.

I didn’t say my idea was supposed to be all encompassing or anything like that.

Reparations doesn’t have to be limited to the list I spent 2 min typing out 🤣.

Tax free is a good addition...

That is the LEAST that they can do. Personally, I’d like two Black States, completely free from government interference, but giving full government assistance. That’s just one.

That is the LEAST that they can do. Personally, I’d like two Black States, completely free from government interference, but giving full government assistance. That’s just one.

Interesting.

How would two black states work? Where would they be located?

And if my Asian Brother computersputin computersputin wanted to visit (although I’d recommend that his visit be supervised akin to how China “supervises” some of its visitors) how would that work?

You can check and verify lineage up to a certain point with ease

Britain and the USA kept notes of alllll the goods they sold. The cotton, sugar cane, tobacco, etc.

So what about those of us that will probably never experience any of the 3 situations your presented?

There is a HUGE (probably majority) that will never attend college and/or own a home.
Yeah while it sounds good for the youth it does nothing for at least 3 generations of black Americans.

There's plenty of black folk 50+ that need economic relief especially the older they get.

The idea that black Americans who lived through the struggles of the civil rights movement get nothing out of that is crazy. Hell living through the crack epidemic and being ignored might be just as bad.

Last edited:
To keep in mind, reparations will definitely be a mix of cash and other benefits. A popular suggestion is baby bonds by Dr. Darity

It would be a universal program that gives seed capital to every newborn infant in the United States, “like a Social Security program for babies,” Darity said. The federal government would establish a trust for every newborn.

Children born to the poorest families would have an initial investment of as much as $50,000. Children of wealthy families also would receive a bond, but a much smaller amount, perhaps as little as $500 for Bill Gates’ children. The average amount would be around $25,000. The program would cover all newborns without considering race, but would help close the racial wealth gap because black households are clustered at the bottom end of the wealth distribution. “

Back
Top Bottom