Replay Review...Yay or Nay

I've wanted to make this thread for awhile now, but just never got around to it. Now with both the NFL and the NBA expanding replay, I figured it was a good time to get the lay of the land on this topic.

Overall, I ****ing hate replay. Nothing I dread more than replay being initiated. The NBA is the absolute worst. Their replay guidelines don't even make sense.

Of all the sports, the only one that correctly implemented replay is tennis. It's quick, doesn't disrupt play, it gets the crowd involved, and it can be really exciting. But I think a lot of that stems from the binary nature of the sport. A ball is either out or in, no subjectivity is involved in that decision. Replay in tennis is perfect.

I don't mind replay in the NFL either. I just hate when it gets in the way of common sense. The "indisputable evidence" requirement needs to go. College football was terrible before last year, mainly due to very play being reviewable, but it seems as though they laid off of replay by a **** ton last season.

I don't like it in baseball. Hockey is fine. Soccer is also fine, but only when limited to offside.

Overall, I honestly don't give a **** about officials getting every call correct. Just be consistent and let's get on with the game.

In basketball they should add AI or have a "Smart Court/Ball" that would give a signal when a ball is out of bounds, whether the shot was behind the 3 point line, if the shot was off before the clock ran out.

That way refs can focus only on contact fouls.

I’d rather spend an extra 5 minutes to get a call right. The only thing that bothers me is in baseball it’s turner into ticky tack things. A player slides into 2nd and leg lifts off the bag one inch while it’s sliding across. That’s not the spirit of the rule imo

It takes too long in both the NFL and NBA...I think it's a good tool and in the NBA, the review time can and should be quicker. I don't understand it. MLB has it right and the NBA shouldn't be much different. Pace of play and game time is more critical to both those sports and not as much with the NFL.

With the NFL, I have more issues with the quality of referees and using the replay as a crutch, which in turn can negatively impact certain calls that need to be indisputable to be overturned. And I also don't think reviewing PIs is beneficial and said as much in the NFL thread. Refs would get those calls wrong in the past, objectively speaking of course, but they were far more accurate and consistent to the rules before the last 5 seasons or so. They reverted back to what a catch used to be described as and that makes sense again...they need to do the same everywhere else and focus on the quality of officiating and common sense as opposed to more rules and nuanced review procedures.

So, yay, but it all needs to be ironed out and used efficiently and not as a way to add to the ambiguity of calls.

using the replay as a crutch

I actually don't mind this, especially in instances where they're blowing a play dead. I always say that "I don't know" is totally okay thing to say. If you're not 100% sure of your call, I'd much rather you swallow your whistle and lean on replay as opposed to feeling like you have to make a call.

Back
Top Bottom