Meth said it best.

I didnt like that either. They're not original anymore
smh.gif
RIP JB 1985-2001
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Method Man

Not "jack" but rather "tribute"...
laugh.gif
Right, like Gourmet paid "tribute" to the Jordan VII and XI.

Jordan brand is completely lacking internal direction right now... seemingly EVERYTHING is trend driven. This isn't even an attempt to copy classic album covers, it's an attempt to emulate streetwear brands that copy classic album covers.

What does this brand even stand for? Quality inspired by the greatest player ever? Nah, nowadays it's "Jordan Brand: everything 40 year olds suspect that 15 year olds think is cool."

What's truly hilarious in all of this is that the average Jordan fan in 2009 is as familiar with these albums as they are with MJ's career as a Bull.

That said, after the fakes printed on a t-shirt and the recalled dead serious hoodie, nothing they do in the lifestyle apparel branch surprises me anymore. I should just thank my lucky stars the people running the streetwear brands they're biting aren't any younger, otherwise we'd be looking at 50 cent album covers instead.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
THE TRUTH ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like these albums and I like Michael Jordan, but some how when they come together it just doesn't work. It looks like something that you would get at aflea market/swap meet.

A few things, Illmatic is by far and away the best hip-hop album of our lifetimes. Reasonable Doubt doesn't even crack a top 10 list and this is comingfrom somebody who is a Jay-Z fan.

As for the "jack" vs. "tribute" comment well it's no secret that JB has been trying to capitalize on the hip-hop market for years now.It' goes hand in hand, the only problem is it's catering to an older crowd who isn't exactly copping Jordans anymore.

You think there is no coincident that JB has done THREE hip-hop related shirts from albums from 1993 and 1994? All CLASSIC albums too.

Ready To Die - Bigge
Midnight Maurders - A Tribe Called Quest
Illmatic - Nas

I'm sure the guy over at JB is like me, a 30-something hip-hop fiend and he's trying to bring something different to the table. The only problem isJordan isn't matching in the sneaker department so they can put all these cool shirts but the average hip-hop scholar is not copping anything thatisn't a I, III or IV and I'm talking o.g. colors too.

Originally Posted by philaflava1

Illmatic is by far and away the best hip-hop album of our lifetimes..

Ready To Die>>>Illmatic. Didn't post this to start a disagreement. I'm just posting my opinion. In my mind, there's no comparison. I knowthat Ready To die was way more commercial (production wise), but I'm talking about lyrics. I feel about Illmatic the way you fell about reasonable doubt. Ilike some of Nas's other work better (I know ya'll think I'm crazy now).

laugh.gif

Jordan brand is completely lacking internal direction right now... seemingly EVERYTHING is trend driven. This isn't even an attempt to copy classic album covers, it's an attempt to emulate streetwear brands that copy classic album covers.

What does this brand even stand for? Quality inspired by the greatest player ever? Nah, nowadays it's "Jordan Brand: everything 40 year olds suspect that 15 year olds think is cool."

What's truly hilarious in all of this is that the average Jordan fan in 2009 is as familiar with these albums as they are with MJ's career as a Bull.

That said, after the fakes printed on a t-shirt and the recalled dead serious hoodie, nothing they do in the lifestyle apparel branch surprises me anymore. I should just thank my lucky stars the people running the streetwear brands they're biting aren't any younger, otherwise we'd be looking at 50 cent album covers instead.

... And the dudes at JB were talking about how they set trends and remain uncompromised
roll.gif

A few things, Illmatic is by far and away the best hip-hop album of our lifetimes. Reasonable Doubt doesn't even crack a top 10 list and this is coming from somebody who is a Jay-Z fan.
You forgot to put YOUR top ten albums. Because some of us feel otherwise. It cracks me up how dudes think they're speaking for all, and notgiving anything but their opinion.

laugh.gif

pimp.gif
and those shirts are horrible.

And I have the Midnight tee, because I got it online instead of seeing it in person, horrible quality
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Magic1978

A few things, Illmatic is by far and away the best hip-hop album of our lifetimes. Reasonable Doubt doesn't even crack a top 10 list and this is coming from somebody who is a Jay-Z fan.
You forgot to put YOUR top ten albums.

Because some of us feel otherwise
eyes.gif
Nah, I'm pretty much the hip-hop cop
happy.gif

It really is about opinion and age of course.

i like the thought behind it, but idk the idea seems kinda cheesy. but like meth jus said, atleast its not a 50 cent cover they are using
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I would have to disagree...if they were copying 50-Cent and Lil Wayne albums...I would agree...but, these albums are classic to the urban/hip-hop culture, justas Air Jordan's are, why wouldn't they want to make that connection...it is well known that Mike has a love of music...there is obviously a certainsegment of the Jordan Brand consumer base that they are trying to connect with here, these aren't for everyone...

Jordan Brand continues to be the industry leader and no one else is even close at this point...On the apparel side in particular...there is nothing else thatis competing for the dollar of the mall based, athletic retail consumer...

Sure there are sneakerheads and city kids that live in NYC and LA that rock the hottest, latest, trendiest streetwear brand, but eventually they all fadeaway...or become FUBU or Rocawear or Sean John, who's number one point of distribution is now Burlington Coat Factory...name any "hot" streetwearbrand right now and you will see a huge order being written by the buyers @ Burlington in 2 years...

The "problem" is that the Jordan Brand is now excepted by ALL consumers and not just the urban, streetwear, youngin' crowd...

Jordan Brand appeals to a huge demo...get out and go to a mall based athletic retailer and ask them what brand of apparel drives their business...Jordan Brand10/10 times...

These Tees are not part of the Lifestyle line...there are more coming...some that will have more mass apparel than others, some that most people, old or youndwon't even recognize...all well done, IMO...

One thing you have to remember is that when you are dealing with a company like Nike that the design process is an 18-month process...streetwear brands dosmall runs of Tees and are able to turn them in 2-3 weeks...there are obviously pro's and con's to both...and obviously Nike/Jordan Brand would like tobe more nimble, but it just isn't reality...JB isn't chasing trends, but just aren't able to react as quickly because of the size of Nike/Jordan...

JM

Back
Top Bottom