Reselling tickets as a hustle-- how profitable is it?

Has anyone here used reselling tickets, particularly NBA tickets as a career or just a side hustle? How much did you make off of it? I ask because face value on tickets is actually so low compared to market value. For example, Thunder 2nd row under the basket have a face value of 75$, go 2 more rows back and now you're only 56$ Market value fluctuates based on the opponent obviously (like I'm selling that Lakers ticket for 375$ each and having NO problem getting buyers, however I bought that ticket 3rd hand myself so no huge profit margin for me), but it's always going to be more than face. I see some eBay sellers and they'll have tickets to something I'll buy then you see they have literally hundreds of listings like they are season ticket holders for everything.
laugh.gif

So I just became a season ticket holder for the Thunder (only had to buy the last 8 games) to get another Laker's ticket and because I paid face, I paid less total for all of them than I would for one at market value price and now get event, playoff, and next season priority. I got a lower level seat for 41$

To those who have seriously committed to this how much did you make? I am just looking to sell the games I don't plan on going to and I'm not price guaging the hell out of people, but next yr and maybe even this yr when playoff tickets come, look out.

think of it this way...good games you make and bad games you lose...you will come out about even if you go sell every game but the money is in the playoffss

Only done it once with some Jay Z tickets.

Depends on what kind of tickets are they tbh. Can't be hustlin just any ticket unless you're getting them @ rock bottom prices.

btw, it's called "ticket scalping"..not "reselling tickets"

I've often thought of trying to get good season tickets for the Cubs. That has got to be somewhat profitable given the reseller market for people who just want to get to Wrigley.

I hate scalpers. Purposely buying a bunch of tickets, making the show sell out, and scalping them the night of the event
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

The games that you dont want to attend will be the same ones others dont want.

I bet your habits are no different than others.

its very profitable, but I think you would need season tickets. I have season tickets for hockey (New York Rangers) and whenever they get a new superstar they jack the prices up. Also there are special nights, like Messier night and whenever they retire peoples numbers and the ticket prices go way up. I am really hoping Lebron comes to the knicks because then I will be making a huge profit cause I'm sure more people will be interested in coming to watch games, hence paying more and also lots of tourists in our city just wanting to see MSG on any occasion.

I need to get some info on this too.

I live 2 blocks away from the Staples Center and can buy some tickets in the booth so I get to choose exactly where to sit (unlike ticketmaster.com that gives you werever is available)

Is this an advantage or there is no real difference there.... Ive been seriously contemplating this for a while but could never get some decent info. The NOKIA center also holds some events that might sell out.

The risk might be worth the reward and if I dont sell them then I can just go.

Question about season tickets..... Do you receive indivitual tickets for each game or do I get a pass? Laker tickets are hard to buy come game day vs teams like Cavs etc. Are play-off tickets included in the season or do I get priority when playoff time arrives? Lakers = Sell out during play-offs.

Im not looking to increase prices like crazy... market should decide

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

u do it outside any new york venue and you will get arrested
i seen it happened way too many times

laugh.gif
  i seen some dude crying because the scalpers sold him fake knicks tickets.

part of me felt bad  the other part was
laugh.gif
at the buyers lack of common sense.

I remember in High School my boys bought scalper's tickets for $20 each. Their seats? The back wall at the very last row. My seat? The back wall NEXT to the very last row in a damn FOLDABLE conference room chair. This *#!@ didn't even have cushion.
smh.gif

I'm about to start doing it seriously too .. You're not going to make a killing just enough for some pocket change and cover your own tickets

BTW PJ .. because of a craigslist reseller I got 2 flyleaf tix for $25
pimp.gif

risky
I've done pretty good with hip hop concerts, I usually buy 4 tickets to everything, sell 2 on ebay or stubhub and the profits pay for the other 2, basically go to every concert/show for free

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

I'm about to start doing it seriously too .. You're not going to make a killing just enough for some pocket change and cover your own tickets

BTW PJ .. because of a craigslist reseller I got 2 flyleaf tix for $25
pimp.gif

craigslist isn't that bad IMO...there's a lot of people there legitimately trying to get rid of their tix because they can't go anymore or stuff of that nature...

youll make profit by selling tickets to games with consistent fan bases, (Yanks, Lakers, Cowboys, Pats, Jets, Giants, Steelers, Cubs,)

if your able to get ahold of teams like that tickets, you'll make some decent cash

Well, I can pick a custom plan as long as I go over the threshhold of how many games I have to buy. Obviously, LA coming in twice a yr is a big game (I'd say average markup right now is 6x face), Cavaliers or where ever LeBron goes, Magic, Heat, Boston, and all the E.C teams who only come once a yr.

What the Thunder did this yr was not even sell the Laker's tickets in any way other than part of a season ticket plan, half season ticket plan, or a pick 8 so that's also contributing to their increased market value the fact only a select few even had access to them.

But I suck at this, or either I'm really good, because mine all sell really fast which is probably an indicator I should raise my profit margin. I still can't believe I sold a 2nd row all star game ticket in Dallas this yr for 210, below face value.

Originally Posted by Numberr97

its very profitable, but I think you would need season tickets. I have season tickets for hockey (New York Rangers) and whenever they get a new superstar they jack the prices up. Also there are special nights, like Messier night and whenever they retire peoples numbers and the ticket prices go way up. I am really hoping Lebron comes to the knicks because then I will be making a huge profit cause I'm sure more people will be interested in coming to watch games, hence paying more and also lots of tourists in our city just wanting to see MSG on any occasion.
^QFT here

I know someone with Magic season tickets up in nose bleeds, that he's been selling for $25-$50 a pop (he gets $50 easy for high-profile games like the Cavs/Celtics/Lakers) and he earned back his initial investment sometime around the All-Star break.  If he continued to sell as he was, I'd say he'll get anywhere from 35-40% profit.

But real talk, if you're gonna re-sell event tickets, I'd try to get my hands on some Lady Gaga tickets! I'm definitely no "Little Monster," but from a business standpoint, those things were selling retail for like $30 a piece in Orlando and turned around for like $200+ on eBay (I think scalping laws are different online and they differ by where you reside/where the event is)! Wish I was lucky enough to get in on that action...

Back
Top Bottom