Reviews of Eminem - Relapse

One of the most-anticipated albums of the year, Eminem's Relapse, drops Tuesday. After a nearly five-year absence, can Em still win over the critics? Thereviews are in.

Entertainment Weekly: Though a smattering of other celebrity goofs (Kim Kardashian, Sarah Palin) feel both dated and beneath him, Relapse's real resonance comes from the fragile,harrowing genius that lies behind that painted-on grin. A-

Rolling Stone: By letting Dr. Dre takeover the low-end-funk production, and rhyming about things he actually cares about, he comes up with a more painful, honest, and vital record than anyone couldhave expected at this late date, up there with The Eminem Show or maybe even better. 4 out of 5

Chicago Tribune: Has thepathological smart-aleck finally become a self-parody? He admits as much in "Same Song and Dance." But the funniest and most honest moment arrivesjust as the album fades. It depicts Eminem (as the character Ken Kaniff) at another rehab meeting, trying out an X-rated soft-shoe routine on another audience,which quickly abandons him. 1 out of 5

Chicago Sun-Times: Mostly crafted byhis old mentor and producer, Dr. Dre, the music is just as stale and predictable, full of Dre's overrated bubblegum hooks and cheesy gothic ambience. The one exception is the Middle Eastern flavor of "Bagpipes from Baghdad," but Eminem blows the opportunity tooffer a sequel/update to the track that remains his finest moment with more throw-away lines about Mariah Carey. 1 out of 4

SPIN: Relapse is really just another overlong summerblockbuster. We sit through it, then go look at pictures of kittens on the Internet, and wait until our souls snap back into place. Eminemhas made the world that crushed him a little less fun for us too. 2 out of 5

I tend to agree with Chicago Sun-Times and I only listened half-way thru. I'll finish later. (maybe)

edit: Those mid-west papers smashed Em.
smh.gif
laugh.gif

I honestly have 0 interest in listerning to this album, because I already know I'll agree with the Tribune. And I used to love Em but I'm just tired ofthe crap he puts out.

dude ENOUGH with RE-GARBAGE-LAPSE it's garbage. Dr sucked so bad on them beats. I don't even wanna hear anymore music out of that camp. SMH

Ok except for fifty.

I agree the chicago papers are right, the album is trash , and i gave it 3 listens, , 10 years ago it was new and fresh but he hasnt evolved at all as arapper, still talking about the same stuff, and it gets repetitive after a while!

The eminem fan boys in the other thread eat that stuff that he does, this record is for them!

his new single is horrible, i didnt like the last album, will probably not be checking for em.

I don't care for the album. I don't care for any of Eminems albums except Eminem Show where his lyrics were actually crafted and about something.

Green Lantern mixtapes were bangers tho
pimp.gif

I like a handful of songs, but I hope Em saved his best *$$$ for the second album, considering how lame his lyrics were this time...

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

I honestly have 0 interest in listerning to this album, because I already know I'll agree with the Tribune. And I used to love Em but I'm just tired of the crap he puts out.
qft

Its just a gimmick at this phase. another get rich quick scheme. And his whole fiasco with Nick Cannon made him loose some of my respect...

Where do you get off talking grimey about a dudes wife that you tried talking to AND got rejected from 8 years ago?
smh.gif

I think the album deserves higher ratings.

As long as I can play it whenever I want, it honestly doesn't matter.

\/ Totally agree with you.
pimp.gif

i might get flamed for this but....... i think the album is classic. you have to look at it like a concept album. as a whole the album is almost flawless(IMO).
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Bad N fluenz

dude ENOUGH with RE-GARBAGE-LAPSE it's garbage. Dr sucked so bad on them beats. I don't even wanna hear anymore music out of that camp. SMH

Ok except for fifty.
Your opinion was already worth 0 on a 100 point scale but after that line i'm afraid it managed to be negative.

Originally Posted by Sosincere09

i might get flamed for this but....... i think the album is classic. you have to look at it like a concept album. as a whole the album is almost flawless (IMO).
pimp.gif
It's def a potential candidate to be a classic. The way each song flows together and the story line and how it climaxes, etc.

When 9 out of 10 people LOVE the album, to you others giving it a 2-3/5...the proof is in the pudding.

Originally Posted by BWS FOOT SOLDIER

i might get flamed for this but....... i think the album is classic. you have to look at it like a concept album. as a whole the album is almost flawless (IMO).
pimp.gif
It's def a potential candidate to be a classic. The way each song flows together and the story line and how it climaxes, etc.

When 9 out of 10 people LOVE the album, to you others giving it a 2-3/5...the proof is in the pudding.
_'s not paying attention.
eek.gif

pimp.gif
My thoughts exactly.

IDK how you can give it a 1 or 2 out of 5... I mean it may not be everyones cup of tea... but it deserves a 3 at least.

Back
Top Bottom